Author Topic: TheHire's '91 Porsche 911 Carrera  (Read 13268 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: The 911 is now blue...
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2021, 04:26:07 pm »
An absolutely fantastic find. Glad to hear you are taking such good care of it.
Modern Porsche's look good and, well, "modern" but this looks so much better imo. It really stirs emotion. I don't normally associate blue with Porsche but this deep cobalt blue looks great.
Congrats!

ltruong

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2021, 04:47:00 pm »
These Porsches models are some of the nicest piece of art on wheels.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2021, 05:01:53 pm »
agreed...i think all 911s are beautiful and incredible though...it's always been one of my favourite cars.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2021, 05:27:14 pm »
I just realized i hadn't really posted any photos of the Cobalt Blue interior. Here is the one I have, and some bonus shots of the finished detail job.

Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2021, 06:26:25 pm »
WOW! That is pure sex.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2021, 06:49:42 pm »
Looks fantastic, car is lucky to have you as its owner. Gonna be pampered...after a hard drive.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2021, 09:17:53 pm »
Looks fantastic, car is lucky to have you as its owner. Gonna be pampered...after a hard drive.

Thanks!

The thing is, it was never really driven "hard". My buddy is in his mid-40s, married with two lovely young kids. He's as docile and calm as they get - his other car is a carb'd Ferrari 308. He doesn't beat on his stuff, and tinkers away on little projects in his garage at night after the kids are asleep.

Regardless, I'm happy to have the resources I have now, and it'll help me cheaply keep this thing and all my other toys in top-notch shape.

Plus, it's not like you guys won't be popping by for test drives  :) Chaos - let's go for a spin with this and the XJL-R!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2021, 11:58:18 pm »
agreed...i think all 911s are beautiful and incredible though...it's always been one of my favourite cars.

Likewise.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2021, 12:32:05 am »
Yeah, wow. That is really, really nice. Much nicer than the last one. :thumbup:

The blue interior would not have been my first choice (or second, or third…) but it certainly wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2021, 08:33:31 am »

Thanks!

The thing is, it was never really driven "hard". My buddy is in his mid-40s, married with two lovely young kids. He's as docile and calm as they get - his other car is a carb'd Ferrari 308. He doesn't beat on his stuff, and tinkers away on little projects in his garage at night after the kids are asleep.

Regardless, I'm happy to have the resources I have now, and it'll help me cheaply keep this thing and all my other toys in top-notch shape.

Plus, it's not like you guys won't be popping by for test drives  :) Chaos - let's go for a spin with this and the XJL-R!
For sure, I cant wait for the ronapocalypse to subside so I can see friends and go for drives again. Would be great to see your collection in the flesh, and hear that pretty Porsche go through the gears...

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2021, 08:56:12 am »

The blue interior would not have been my first choice (or second, or third…) but it certainly wouldn’t be a deal breaker.

What, you wouldn't want your 911's interior to mimic a 1993 Taurus?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2021, 11:09:27 am »

Thanks!

So, are you going to track this one, or is it too pretty?

A friend of mine has basically the same car as yours here in Kingston, last I saw he was doing a window's out repaint and replacing anything that showed it's age.   
 He thought he bought a driver when he got it but a few weeks in realized the "rebuilt" engine wasn't done right and it had to come out and apart again.   It then turned into a back burner multi-year project when the twin girls came along...
I think he'll have it on the road this summer, but I can't imagine how much he spent on it.

Mr Pickypants

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2021, 03:11:46 pm »

Thanks!

A friend of mine has basically the same car as yours here in Kingston, last I saw he was doing a window's out repaint and replacing anything that showed it's age.   
 He thought he bought a driver when he got it but a few weeks in realized the "rebuilt" engine wasn't done right and it had to come out and apart again.   It then turned into a back burner multi-year project when the twin girls came along...
I think he'll have it on the road this summer, but I can't imagine how much he spent on it.

I put decent tires on it (Yokohama Fleva V701, the same ones I ordered DriverJeff for his Z3M), so I don't have an objection to taking it to the track. It has a couple of oil leaks that are prompting me to do an engine-out over the winter, so I'll probably track it next season.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2021, 03:46:51 pm »

Thanks!

I put decent tires on it (Yokohama Fleva V701, the same ones I ordered DriverJeff for his Z3M), so I don't have an objection to taking it to the track. It has a couple of oil leaks that are prompting me to do an engine-out over the winter, so I'll probably track it next season.

Do you know where the oil leaks are?  Some can be fixed without removing the engine, some others, it's easier to drop it out.   I had to drop mine last year to replace the O-ring on the oil-thermostat, even though it was only in for a few weeks, I took it to the track and it got way too smokey dripping oil on the exhaust.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2021, 05:59:35 pm »
~400km in one week with the car. It's every bit as wonderful as I'd imagined. Because of my OCD, I'm going to do an engine-out over the winter when the car is in storage, just to make sure it's perfect. We replaced all of the fluids, and put new tires on it as well. A bunch of little things.

Wow, what a beauty!  :drool:  Nice find!  :thumbup:

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2021, 11:47:11 pm »
Oh, geez. Just saw that it's a Carrera 4.  :-\

Still an awesome car, but it's not like it will be winter driven, or has a gazillion turbocharged HP & needs help getting the power down. Would it be sacrilege to pull the front drive hardware to save a few hundred pounds and turn it into a RWD summer plaything? Do people do that?

I know next to nothing about these cars, but always pictured the Carrera 4 as being designed for commuting on the autobahn at 150 mph in the middle of a cold, dark and wet German winter.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2021, 03:14:13 am »
WOW! That is pure sex.

I gotta change my underwear...

:banana:

That car is totally erotic.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: TheHire's '91 Porsche 911 C4
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2021, 04:39:43 pm »
So I had the car off the road for a couple of weeks - our Porsche master tech wasn't happy with the amount of oil leaks out of it. We re-sealed it, replaced a bunch of components. We initially had planned to do this over winter while the car was off the road anyway, but the oil falling onto the exhaust was creating a fire hazard. Me being stubborn and insisting on daily driving the thing had my tech confiscate my keys and rip the engine out of it. Got a bunch of random bits and bobs, and it's back up now.

Guy tinkered for days after hours and on the weekend, and it's back on the road. Thing drives like a million bucks. Well, maybe a hundred thousand bucks.  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2021, 11:26:04 am »
What a beauty. Love the colour combo.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2021, 06:03:14 pm »
What a beauty. Love the colour combo.

Late to this. Agreed. My favourite generation of Porsche.

Mine as well. Beautiful car. Would like to see pics of the 308 sometime.