Author Topic: Dent buys a semi convertible thing 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF GT  (Read 22019 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Dent buys a semi convertible thing 2017 Mazda MX-5 RF GT
« Reply #120 on: May 03, 2021, 11:37:54 am »
^ Ya, no kidding eh?  Great pics Mr. Dent.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #121 on: May 03, 2021, 12:09:10 pm »
Beautiful scenery all the way down from Waterton to Utah, could have some great road trips with that thing eventually

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #122 on: May 04, 2021, 10:14:27 pm »
Great pics, Dent!  Southern Alberta has some magnificent scenery.

:iagree:

The last time we went through Waterton was late Sep 2014 and the Prince of Wales Hotel was already closed and boarded up for the season. >:(

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2021, 03:03:36 am »
Great car, great pics, great day out!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 13, 2021, 02:33:28 pm »

Took the wife on a five day get away in the Miata. The trunk meant we packed everything in tightly. We drove up to Nordegg, Alberta. Nice drive up.

The next day the weather turned to snow. (June 7th!)

Rwd, summer tires and not great ground clearance meant we gave up going to road to our hike that day. Downed trees on the road as well.

So we made a snowman. Yes, he has a cigar.

The next day was muddy but weather was good for the rest of it. We took the Mazda down several rough roads and it made it just fine.

David Thompson Highway

Back via the Banff/Jasper highway

and Moraine Lake.

I've put 3k on the car already.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2021, 02:42:51 pm »
Great road trip!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2021, 03:40:51 pm »
June 7th, my goodness. That's the mountains for you

We went to Kanaskis country last fall, early Oct. Beautiful, sunny, warm. The next week they had 6 inches of snow

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2021, 06:31:59 pm »
WOW, great pics! That must have been an adventure in the snow, can just imagine how my SLK would be in that.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2021, 07:42:25 pm »
Awesome stuff AD!  :fiver:

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2021, 08:52:33 pm »
As with any conditions, as long as you know how your car behaves, you can get around.  I learned to drive on a RWD manual Celica, and learned very quickly how to handle it in snowy conditions.   No sudden movements!   ;D. And full focus. 

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2021, 09:01:05 pm »
As with any conditions, as long as you know how your car behaves, you can get around.  I learned to drive on a RWD manual Celica, and learned very quickly how to handle it in snowy conditions.   No sudden movements!   ;D. And full focus.

Summer high performance tires in snow are a whole other deal.   I pulled over once on the way to work to change tires as I wasn't going to make it there. (I had winters in the trunk)
They really can turn into hockey-pucks.
Mr Pickypants

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2021, 10:11:06 pm »

Took the wife on a five day get away in the Miata. The trunk meant we packed everything in tightly. We drove up to Nordegg, Alberta. Nice drive up.

David Thompson Highway

Back via the Banff/Jasper highway

and Moraine Lake.

Just wow, you have a great photograph talent
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #132 on: June 14, 2021, 01:22:26 am »

Yup!

While we had FWD cars when I got my licence, I spent the summer of '91 driving my grandmother's '78 Aspen (drum brakes all around) in St. John's.  Learned very quickly that a rainy night, steep hills, and those brakes meant you drove downhill slowly, lest the light turn red at the bottom of the hill. Four-wheel lock up and skidding straight through an intersection at 3am (no other cars around, thankfully) is a great teaching moment.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 01:24:32 am by Scaerio »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #133 on: June 14, 2021, 09:27:49 am »

Yup!

While we had FWD cars when I got my licence, I spent the summer of '91 driving my grandmother's '78 Aspen (drum brakes all around) in St. John's.  Learned very quickly that a rainy night, steep hills, and those brakes meant you drove downhill slowly, lest the light turn red at the bottom of the hill. Four-wheel lock up and skidding straight through an intersection at 3am (no other cars around, thankfully) is a great teaching moment.

Same. My first car was RWD. Drove home in the rain, gave it too much gas at an intersection and ended up facing the wrong way. Lesson learned.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 14, 2021, 10:19:24 am »
Thank you.

That lake is famous for its blue water. Apparently the blue-green will peak later in June as is a result of rock flour from the glacier run off.

Rwd + snow is fine. I drove the Mustang all winter. Rwd + high performance summer tires which the MX-5 has makes things a little less comfortable. Later I found out that the highway was rated "not recommended for travel" that day.

A few of our better hikes.

The first one was Stiffleur Falls. https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/alberta/siffleur-falls

The falls are impressive but hard to photograph the whole thing. Nice hike with a suspension bridge, regular bridge, boardwalk, flat and some uphill at the end.

The second is Crescent Falls/Bighorn canyon.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/canada/alberta/crescent-falls-bighorn-canyon

You don't actually have to hike to see the falls. You drive there instead if you want but its a very nice hike at the side of the very deep canyon.

This one actually took us three attempts to do. The first day we did not even get to the trail head due to heavy snow and downed trees on the road (first photos). The second attempt we made it up most of the muddy road dodging the downed trees. The trail is not well marked at the bottom but we found it. It was still snowy and muddy on the trail we sometimes goes right on the edge which made it more than a little sketchy. We lost the trail in the forest and gave up again after a few kms.

The third attempt we could now start from the falls and do it in reverse order as the (terrible) road was less muddy and I had some confidence we get back up the steep end portion. The downed trees on the road were now gone! We managed the whole thing. Beautiful falls. The lower portion was still inaccessible due to mud and high degree of slipping and dying.

We did a few others but those two were the best.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:21:32 am by Arthur Dent »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #135 on: June 14, 2021, 10:35:23 am »
That's a surprisingly nice area once you get off the highway a little

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2021, 11:22:04 am »
Great pictures of the car and hikes. Glad to see you are getting the most out of your little roadster. Keep the posts coming.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2021, 11:51:05 am »
Great pics of stunning scenery, Mr. Dent.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 21, 2021, 01:31:31 pm »
A little light on car content but another update. Apparently I am due for an oil change already. Ordered a stubby antenna to replace the huge one that makes the car look like an RC car. Also ordered parts to delete the sound tube which pipes in intake noise from the engine bay.

Took it for another drive on the weekend - this time to the Crowsnest Pass.

A North American spec 300ZX seen outside Brocket, Alberta. You can see some of the many windmills in this area.

The parking lot was well sign posted and marked. The trail head not so much. There was four. I picked the correct one last of course. As a result I accidently climbed the next over mountain first.

No 4wd required

Met a bear on the wrong trail. 5x cell phone zoom but close enough!

After a somewhat sketchy climb at the beginning with lots of steep uphills and loose rock the trees started to thin out a bit. I made it to the peak in this photo which is actually only the first (false) peak. It was raining a bit and cloudy so that is as far as I went. (Plus I'd walked about 10+ kms trying to get to correct trailhead - ugh).

Somehow my photos at the top didn't save to the phone which was annoying (happened once before, lost a little batch) but this was pretty close. You can see the down on the town of Blairmore. The elevation gain is around 925 m and this would be somewhat less at this point.

The "trail" back down.

At the bottom you can drive the historical road through the rock slide near the railway and river and the other side of the mountain. For those not familiar Frank’s Slide which is a well known mining disaster. On April 29 1903 the eastern edge of mining Town Frank was covered by 90 million tons of rock sliding down from nearby Turtle mountain. The mountain was the site of an active coal mine which likely contributed the slide on an already unstable mountain. Ironically many of the men working in the mine were safe and returned to find their families and homes gone. Total loss of life is estimated to be between 70 and 90. The railway was covered but quickly repaired, the mine re-opened and the remains of the town re-located. With the exception of the highway and railway cutting through it the site of the slide remains as it was in 1903.

Still spitting rain so no top down.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:42:46 pm by Arthur Dent »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #139 on: June 21, 2021, 01:41:01 pm »
Just picked up "your" car this morning. Nice crossover relief! Got 5.7 l/100 km on the way back, felt like I was going 160 at 110  :drive:

Took pics at near-sea level, much lower than yours!
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist