Author Topic: Thoughts on El-Cheapo, off-brand tires for the Civic?  (Read 23350 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Thoughts on El-Cheapo, off-brand tires for the Civic?
« on: March 22, 2021, 08:59:33 am »
I need to replace the all-seasons on the beater Civic.  The old ones are mismatched, almost down to the wear bars, and cracked in all the grooves.  I don't trust them for another season, especially if we need to do any highway driving with the car. 

I don't want to spend much, if any money on the Civic, so I found these new 'Certified AllTrek A/S' tires for $68.24ea at Canadian Tire.  Installed price would be $412 after tax. 

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/tires/pdp/certified-alltrek-a-s-tire-0043000p.0053025.html

I realize that they're cheap tires, and they'll likely perform as such, but let's be honest, the Civic is a beater, and I doubt it's worth spending more than that on new tires for the thing, especially considering it's already got a decent (not great) set of winter tires for the cold months.

My only regret would be that they're not Hercules, but hey, you can't have everything in life...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: Thoughts on El-Cheapo, off-brand tires for the Civic?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 09:03:16 am »
With it being a beater and you likely won't be keeping it past your next set of tires, I'd say go for the cheapo ones.  No sense in investing a bunch of money in tires for a vehicle that isn't worth that much more than a good set of tires  :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 09:17:01 am »
i get not wanting to spend much, but tires aren't usually a good place to cut too much costs.  can you find anything else from a better brand you've heard of for not much more money?  even if it's a Tier II brand like Cooper, General Tire, etc?
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 09:35:24 am »
i get not wanting to spend much, but tires aren't usually a good place to cut too much costs.  can you find anything else from a better brand you've heard of for not much more money?  even if it's a Tier II brand like Cooper, General Tire, etc?
Normally I would agree but the tires that he is looking at are likely manufactured and copies of a bigger manufacturer.  I know some of the certified tires are made by Hankook. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 09:37:21 am »
Those Certified tires are made by one of the major well-known tire manufactures, I won't say who, but if you study the tread pattern you can figured it out. On a car like you're Civic they'd be ideal, and way better than what's on there. Plus, you'd get the CT 5-year road hazard warranty which is a nice thing to have for future mishaps.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2021, 09:38:52 am »
Those Certified tires are made by one of the major well-known tire manufactures, I won't say who, but if you study the tread pattern you can figured it out. On a car like you're Civic they'd be ideal, and way better than what's on there. Plus, you'd get the CT 5-year road hazard warranty which is a nice thing to have for future mishaps.
Exactly as I thought.  If Firm is saying this it is true.  Of course he can't tell us who for obvious reasons but I think this is a great option for your beater. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 09:48:09 am »
I'm sure they'll be fine.

I suspect the two down sides will be decreased longevity and increase in noise. Neither of which will be an issue.

Another option is to look at Kijiji. There can be some good deals and you don't need to deal with getting them mounted.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2021, 09:57:49 am »
I'm sure they'll be fine.

I suspect the two down sides will be decreased longevity and increase in noise. Neither of which will be an issue.

Another option is to look at Kijiji. There can be some good deals and you don't need to deal with getting them mounted.

I had a look on Kijiji, couldn't find anything worth considering.  Plus I like the OE base model Civic wheels:

Anyway, I was hoping Firm would chime in, and you basically said exactly what I wanted to hear.  So, Thanks.

As far as wear and noise:

Wear: In the year we've had it, we've put 8000kms on the car, 4000 of those were on winter tires, so at that rate, these tires would last well past the point where we'll consider replacing it.
Noise: I don't really care. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2021, 10:07:11 am »
oh, in that case, they're likely fine then...i had never heard of them and thought maybe they were some cheap import tire...if they're basically a relabeled Tier II brand, they'll be good.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2021, 10:23:16 am »
oh, in that case, they're likely fine then...i had never heard of them and thought maybe they were some cheap import tire...if they're basically a relabeled Tier II brand, they'll be good.

I figured it out.  Original manufacturer rhymes with 'Can Cook'  :rofl2:.

Fitting, same manufacturer as the Civic's winter tires!

Firm, any chance you can tell me how much longer they'll be on sale?  I'm thinking I'll grab them at the end of the month.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:29:32 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2021, 10:57:20 am »
Sounds like the way to go...

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2021, 11:27:45 am »
PM'd you. :)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2021, 11:32:07 am »

Yeah, big  name tire companies make a lot of the house brand tires.  The factory I worked at was making a few sizes of some tire for Wal-mart a couple of years ago.  Used to make Sears tires too at one time.  It used to be done to fill in between OE orders, not sure now.  Sometimes the only difference between a name brand and a house brand economy tire was the sidewall molding plates used.
Sometimes it's cheaper ingredients, like using more carbon black vs silica in the mix, silica costs more, but gives better wet traction.
Mr Pickypants

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2021, 11:58:32 am »

Yeah, big  name tire companies make a lot of the house brand tires.  The factory I worked at was making a few sizes of some tire for Wal-mart a couple of years ago.  Used to make Sears tires too at one time.  It used to be done to fill in between OE orders, not sure now.  Sometimes the only difference between a name brand and a house brand economy tire was the sidewall molding plates used.
Sometimes it's cheaper ingredients, like using more carbon black vs silica in the mix, silica costs more, but gives better wet traction.
yea...i always thought they might use an older model tire as a private label too...for example, the Goodyear Eagle II is the new model, but they'll make the original Goodyear Eagle and rebrand it as a "Sears Dynasty" tire...i don't know if they do this, but it would make sense if they did.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2021, 12:33:10 pm »

yea...i always thought they might use an older model tire as a private label too...for example, the Goodyear Eagle II is the new model, but they'll make the original Goodyear Eagle and rebrand it as a "Sears Dynasty" tire...i don't know if they do this, but it would make sense if they did.

Yeah, that's exactly how it works.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2021, 03:58:59 pm »

Yeah, that's exactly how it works.
nice...in that case, these types of tires would be perfect for the Civic.

FWIW, i went with the General Tire RT43 Altimax tires for my Rio5 and really like them...they were a decent price and were well rated, even if they're from a Tier II brand.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 07:44:56 am »
^^^Not true.  See last sentence of the original post. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 10:14:28 am »

Dammit!

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2021, 12:27:03 pm »

Dammit!

Ah but the big question would what tire pressure to use 🙂