Author Topic: 2022 Golf R Mk8  (Read 75923 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: 2022 Golf R Mk8
« Reply #360 on: September 28, 2022, 09:10:55 am »
I mean…VW’s CEO lost his job for a reason.

Emergency refresh is needed asap to clean up the software and the mess they did inside…as soon as 2023?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to justify an "emergency refresh" when we're seeing vastly more demand for the car than any prior iteration...
How much of that demand is artificial due to the lack of supply of all vehicles?  Just because it's selling well doesn't mean you should stop improving it.

I'm not sure how that demand is artificial. Isn't there a 2-3 year wait for a new R?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #361 on: September 28, 2022, 09:25:58 am »
I'm not going to debate if this design is good/bad but how often are people touching the controls while driving? I get in my car, set the auto temp, start a playlist/podcast, and drive.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: September 28, 2022, 09:53:51 am »
I'm not going to debate if this design is good/bad but how often are people touching the controls while driving? I get in my car, set the auto temp, start a playlist/podcast, and drive.

What if you want to turn on the heat at night?

😜

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: September 28, 2022, 09:55:42 am »

Emergency refresh is needed asap to clean up the software and the mess they did inside…as soon as 2023?!

Hard to justify an "emergency refresh" when we're seeing vastly more demand for the car than any prior iteration...
How much of that demand is artificial due to the lack of supply of all vehicles?  Just because it's selling well doesn't mean you should stop improving it.

I'm not sure how that demand is artificial. Isn't there a 2-3 year wait for a new R?

Combo supply issues for chips plus demand.

I thought I read that wiring harnesses for VW’s made in Germany were supplied from the Ukraine but not sure.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 28, 2022, 10:07:01 am »

😜

Why would I want to freeze while driving? :think:

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: September 28, 2022, 10:22:53 am »

😜

Why would I want to freeze while driving? :think:

The controls aren’t backlit.

Ergo, you may have trouble completing this action.

Hence it was a joke.

Meaning bad joke.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #366 on: September 28, 2022, 11:11:04 am »

Well think of it this way, if in 2016 they produced 10,000 Golf R's and the wait list was 6 months, then in 2022 they produce 5,000 Golf R's and the wait list is 2 years, some of that is due to supply issues, which is "artificial" demand.  Same amount of people want them, just a lot less of them to buy.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: September 28, 2022, 11:20:31 am »
But Patrick says they're seeing MORE demand now than before.

Regardless... Looks like the "emergency refresh" is just adding an even bigger screen.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/09/vw-golf-facelift-reveals-larger-infotainment-screen-in-first-spy-shots/

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #368 on: September 28, 2022, 12:08:17 pm »

Regardless... Looks like the "emergency refresh" is just adding an even bigger screen.

https://www.carscoops.com/2022/09/vw-golf-facelift-reveals-larger-infotainment-screen-in-first-spy-shots/

It would make some sense that there is more demand, no STI, no Focus RS, no current Type R, the Corolla GR isn't out yet.  That being said, the number of people looking for a car like this has likely only gone down, and the wait list is most likely due to supply more so than demand.

My point is, regardless of how well it's selling, they should always be trying to improve it.  Adding a bigger screen is not improving, in fact it might just be compounding the issue.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
2022 Golf R Mk8
« Reply #369 on: September 28, 2022, 07:16:48 pm »

Waitttt so there is actually an emergency refresh incoming LOL!!!

Good thing VW is listening to their customers and hopefully this also means better software…the current system in the Golf is crap, the equivalent of Ford MyTouch from 2010 - yeah that’s how bad it is.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 07:19:41 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #370 on: September 28, 2022, 08:00:50 pm »
As one of the few on this forum who actually owned a Golf 8 R.   I had little trouble with the car software and the controls. Of course they could have been improved and I am sure they have been...deep down on VW's software labs and will appear on cars shortly.   It was a fabulous car to drive.  Tauri, have you ever driven one?

FWIW I sold mine back to the dealer after 2 months and bought a TAOS.  Why?   I had trouble getting in and out because of arthritis in a hip and in knees   The door opening was about 2 inches too small and the seat wouldn't go back far enough.    And the base of the seat was too narrow.
The TAOS is no sports car but it has that small extra size in the front and a huge back seat which I have no use for. (I could not get into the R's back seat)   Still needs a seat made by Volvo tho'.
The TAOS, like the R gives an impression of software written and tested to a schedule not a quality level and still has a terrible owners manual.  I am sure that both will be fixed at some point.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: September 28, 2022, 10:36:26 pm »
As one of the few on this forum who actually owned a Golf 8 R.   I had little trouble with the car software and the controls. Of course they could have been improved and I am sure they have been...deep down on VW's software labs and will appear on cars shortly.   It was a fabulous car to drive.  Tauri, have you ever driven one?

FWIW I sold mine back to the dealer after 2 months and bought a TAOS.  Why?   I had trouble getting in and out because of arthritis in a hip and in knees   The door opening was about 2 inches too small and the seat wouldn't go back far enough.    And the base of the seat was too narrow.
The TAOS is no sports car but it has that small extra size in the front and a huge back seat which I have no use for. (I could not get into the R's back seat)   Still needs a seat made by Volvo tho'.
The TAOS, like the R gives an impression of software written and tested to a schedule not a quality level and still has a terrible owners manual.  I am sure that both will be fixed at some point.

Ah nuts.  I was looking forward to reading about your life with the R but I definitely get it.  I damn near have to put a hand on the ground when I get out of the Lexus.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: September 28, 2022, 10:58:13 pm »

Ah nuts.  I was looking forward to reading about your life with the R but I definitely get it.  I damn near have to put a hand on the ground when I get out of the Lexus.

I'm not far behind with the Porsche.

It's only a matter of time before it won't be in my garage.   :'(
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #373 on: October 04, 2022, 08:21:40 pm »

I'm not far behind with the Porsche.

It's only a matter of time before it won't be in my garage.   :'(
Good luck getting into and out of my ride this last weekend LOL

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #374 on: October 25, 2022, 08:16:10 am »
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: October 25, 2022, 08:22:43 am »
A leaked image of the new steering wheel  :rofl2:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 25, 2022, 09:16:32 am »
 ;D

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 25, 2022, 09:56:38 am »
Capitulation...

https://jalopnik.com/vw-capacitive-touch-real-buttons-steering-wheel-1849693830
That's a nice start, but they have to go further and improve the other capacitive touch points on the infotainment or at the very least illuminate the HVAC stuff for night time driving.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 25, 2022, 06:57:12 pm »
Capitulation...

https://jalopnik.com/vw-capacitive-touch-real-buttons-steering-wheel-1849693830
That's a nice start, but they have to go further and improve the other capacitive touch points on the infotainment or at the very least illuminate the HVAC stuff for night time driving.
I read they are redoing the interior in an upcoming refresh - finally VW has a CEO that seems to listen to what people want