Author Topic: 2022 Golf R Mk8  (Read 75991 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: 2022 Golf R Mk8
« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2022, 08:34:58 pm »

As far as when you get it, you could be like me who was informed on Friday that they don't know where my car is (not a VW but shipped from Germany.  They think.  Maybe.  Could be.)

Huh...  many years ago I had a similar situation with an A4 I had ordered.  After tracking it for a month, the dealer "lost" it around Montreal apparently. To salvage the deal, they offered me another A4 with more options in a different colour that was already on the lot. 

And just this past week, after being strung along by the local Audi dealership wondering if/when his new SQ5 was going to arrive for too long, he pulled the plug on the deal and has a new X3 on order instead now.

Thanks for sharing.  The M340 is still at 'port' awaiting a chip and currently under a do not ship order.  The funny thing is that the dealer told me in early November that it was a matter of days before it would arrive.  Now they are thinking March....'ish.

It will be worth the wait…what are you currently driving?

Sharing an RDX with my wife 😜

I see…you will have one hell of a spring in you dravit grey bimmer!

Unless that chip takes 18 months to be made.  :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #241 on: January 28, 2022, 04:58:15 pm »
Ummmm, did VW just increase the price by $1k for their Golf R.  What’s up with that Patrick?  They have barely hit dealers and now you jack the price up.  Not cool, I hope all those that have an order placed still get the previous sales price and not this new one.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #242 on: January 28, 2022, 07:31:37 pm »
Ummmm, did VW just increase the price by $1k for their Golf R.  What’s up with that Patrick?  They have barely hit dealers and now you jack the price up.  Not cool, I hope all those that have an order placed still get the previous sales price and not this new one.
My dealer called me about that.    A couple of weeks ago.    If I was going to finance they would have needed the credit check to be done immediately to avoid that price rise.  But as I'd be cash and trade in  the original price would be the same.

Still no news on manufacture date.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #243 on: January 28, 2022, 07:45:03 pm »

Happening everywhere with many manufacturers now.
Usually price increases don’t happen a couple of months into a new model launch, typically if the manufacturer needs more money they adjust the interest rate or residuals.  I’d be pissed if I had one on order and they asked to increase the price by $1k.  Not saying those with orders are having this happen, just that if it is, I would be upset.

Would love to hear from Patrick on why this happened.  Is this on all VWs or just the R?  How bad is our dollar that they needed to make this adjustment so quickly.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #244 on: January 28, 2022, 07:48:45 pm »

Usually price increases don’t happen a couple of months into a new model launch, typically if the manufacturer needs more money they adjust the interest rate or residuals.  I’d be pissed if I had one on order and they asked to increase the price by $1k.  Not saying those with orders are having this happen, just that if it is, I would be upset.

Would love to hear from Patrick on why this happened.  Is this on all VWs or just the R?  How bad is our dollar that they needed to make this adjustment so quickly.

Patrick underpriced the car and got in trouble :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 28, 2022, 07:53:36 pm »

Patrick underpriced the car and got in trouble :)
Or, Patrick asked for a raise and that was the domino that caused this price increase.  Greedy bastard! :rofl2:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #246 on: January 28, 2022, 09:45:12 pm »
Usually price increases don’t happen a couple of months into a new model launch

These aren't ordinary times.

I'm pretty sure VW or any manufacturer can change the price of the product anytime they want to. If you signed a deal at X price, then you will pay that price as you have a contract. If you waited to buy the car, better find another grand or go buy something else. No different than any other product.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 29, 2022, 07:58:43 am »

I'm pretty sure VW or any manufacturer can change the price of the product anytime they want to. If you signed a deal at X price, then you will pay that price as you have a contract. If you waited to buy the car, better find another grand or go buy something else. No different than any other product.
Guys, I know they can change the price whenever they choose, all I was saying is that it sucks and that in normal times they would have just adjusted the finances and lease rates.  Obviously these aren’t normal times.  Just weird that it happened so soon from when this vehicle arrived.  I think the first ones that hit dealers was like late October or early November.  But they probably have the next 3+ months of cars sold, so really this price increase doesn’t have an affect on owners until the spring, so a mid model year price increase.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 29, 2022, 08:03:32 am »

Guys, I know they can change the price whenever they choose, all I was saying is that it sucks and that in normal times they would have just adjusted the finances and lease rates.  Obviously these aren’t normal times.  Just weird that it happened so soon from when this vehicle arrived.  I think the first ones that hit dealers was like late October or early November.  But they probably have the next 3+ months of cars sold, so really this price increase doesn’t have an affect on owners until the spring, so a mid model year price increase.

Hasn't this been on sale for a year or longer on the other side of the pond? We are a very tiny market for VW. I'm also thinking the inflation of car parts isn't helping either.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 29, 2022, 09:33:01 am »

Hasn't this been on sale for a year or longer on the other side of the pond? We are a very tiny market for VW. I'm also thinking the inflation of car parts isn't helping either.
Small for VW total sales, big for Golf R sales.  I think I read somewhere that our market is the 3rd largest for the Golf R.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #250 on: January 29, 2022, 07:39:14 pm »
Golf R pricing was set in mid-2020, and "locked in" in the first half of 2021. Since then, supply chain shocks have had substantial cost effects. On some models we can absorb this via reduced incentive spending - not as necessary when supply is restricted - but not so for a Golf R where the car sells incentive-free even in normal times. Cost is cost, and at the end of the day, we don't operate a charity.

To the points above, inflation is fairly standard in the industry, and normally we'd wait for a model year change. But we currently live in extraordinary times. I get daily reporting on inflation actions across the industry - they're literally happening daily right now, from all brands. At the same time as Golf R pricing was adjusted, Tiguan and Atlas also saw increases of $400 and $500, respectively.

The Golf R is sold out for roughly a year, and out of respect for our customers, all existing orders were protected under the old pricing. Only the people joining the back of the queue since January 5 pay the higher pricing. To that end, it basically is like we're doing this at the model year change - because of the incredible demand, we simply have to draw the line a lot sooner to "catch" the order bank.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:09:52 am by Patrick_D1 »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 30, 2022, 10:40:01 am »
Thank you for the explanation Patrick.  I know it wasn’t a decision of greed but that of necessity.  Any idea if this happened in other markets or was is specifically a Canadian issue?  As always, keep up the good work.  Love the new Golf R and GTI, but if you could suggest a couple interior improvements that would also go a long way to making it perfect. 

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #252 on: January 30, 2022, 11:59:52 am »
Thank you for the explanation Patrick.  I know it wasn’t a decision of greed but that of necessity.  Any idea if this happened in other markets or was is specifically a Canadian issue?  As always, keep up the good work.  Love the new Golf R and GTI, but if you could suggest a couple interior improvements that would also go a long way to making it perfect.

Can't really speak for other markets. We're each tasked with managing our own profitability, based on our local situation.

Regarding the interior improvements, let's just say it's an area where we see plenty of opportunity to make a great car even better.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 30, 2022, 01:08:04 pm »
I still live in hope mine will arrive…sometime.  I am resisting bugging Patrick or the dealer too often!

Until I get the car or the owners manual and try a few things I have no suggestions for improvement.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 30, 2022, 01:13:03 pm »
Probably Cadure that will be so.  When I got my 1987 twin cam Golf GTI that indeed happened,  a permanent grin.   Same when I got my 2008 Golf GTI.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #255 on: January 30, 2022, 02:02:09 pm »
Golf R pricing was set in mid-2020, and "locked in" in the first half of 2021. Since then, supply chain shocks have had substantial cost effects. On some models we can absorb this via reduced incentive spending - not as necessary when supply is restricted - but not so for a Golf R where the car sells incentive-free even in normal times. Cost is cost, and at the end of the day, we don't operate a charity.

To the points above, inflation is fairly standard in the industry, and normally we'd wait for a model year change. But we currently live in extraordinary times. I get daily reporting on inflation actions across the industry - they're literally happening daily right now, from all brands. At the same time as Golf R pricing was adjusted, Tiguan and Atlas also saw increases of $400 and $500, respectively.

The Golf R is sold out for roughly a year, and out of respect for our customers, all existing orders were protected under the old pricing. Only the people joining the back of the queue since January 5 pay the higher pricing. To that end, it basically is like we're doing this at the model year change - because of the incredible demand, we simply have to draw the line a lot sooner to "catch" the order bank.

All good, fair points IMHO.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2022, 12:44:44 pm »
It's such a shame, I think the Mk7 is a perfect example of how to pull off a nice looking and completely functional interior,
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #257 on: February 09, 2022, 12:57:40 pm »
Here's hoping VW walks back the haptic feedback HMI in a mid-model refresh.  It's been done before (Honda).

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2022, 08:21:41 am »
Here's hoping VW walks back the haptic feedback HMI in a mid-model refresh.  It's been done before (Honda).
It’s been done even before Honda - Ford MyTouch back in 2010! LOL one could argue technology improved lots since then but clearly the issues still persist…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2022, 08:36:06 am »