Author Topic: 2022 Golf R Mk8  (Read 76042 times)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
Re: 2022 Golf R Mk8
« Reply #140 on: November 01, 2021, 11:49:22 am »
Oh, hey, look what I found... Have to head out of town, so the Show n' Shine will have to wait, but in a word? WOW.  :o :o :o

WOW, indeed!
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2021, 12:27:59 pm »
Sharp looking car.  I want one. 

Too bad they're so expensive!

Name another AWD hatch with torque vectoring AWD, and available 7 speed DCT, and the capability to hit 60 mph in the low 4 second range for under $50K.

I'm not saying it shouldn't cost as much as it does.  Just that it's a lot of money.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #142 on: November 01, 2021, 02:00:15 pm »
Oh, hey, look what I found... Have to head out of town, so the Show n' Shine will have to wait, but in a word? WOW.  :o :o :o

:drool: :drool:
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #143 on: November 01, 2021, 02:13:31 pm »

Name another AWD hatch with torque vectoring AWD, and available 7 speed DCT, and the capability to hit 60 mph in the low 4 second range for under $50K.

Could have cut another half a second had they used 17" rims  ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #144 on: November 01, 2021, 02:15:26 pm »

Could have cut another half a second had they used 17" rims  ;)
Ha, only issue is the brakes are so big that the smallest you could possibly go would be 18's.  Maybe a super light weight 18, maybe carbon fiber rims?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #145 on: November 01, 2021, 02:20:21 pm »
Carbon Fibre rims... on a Golf..?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #146 on: November 01, 2021, 03:50:22 pm »
what a beautiful car
its on my short list for 2023

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #147 on: November 01, 2021, 04:44:09 pm »

I'm not saying it shouldn't cost as much as it does.  Just that it's a lot of money.

I was just busing your nuts.  It is a lot of money.

I think the new Audi Q4 e-tron fits the bill
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 01, 2021, 04:45:32 pm »
I am seriously thinking of cancelling tHe Golf R and either waiting for the ID4 AWD  or even getting a Tesla.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #149 on: November 01, 2021, 04:57:56 pm »
I am seriously thinking of cancelling tHe Golf R and either waiting for the ID4 AWD  or even getting a Tesla.

I would definitely choose the ID4 over the Golf R, no contest.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 01, 2021, 05:48:47 pm »

Nice shade of blue! Is it available with ID4? (Too lazy to look at it). My next one won't have any ICE under the hood.

I would definitely choose the ID4 over the Golf R, no contest.

Same here.
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #151 on: November 01, 2021, 06:01:49 pm »
If I was going for an EV that will be somewhat fun, not an CUV, and looks good, the only choice is the BMW I4 M50.  But honestly I think the Golf R would be a great last gas car for you.  Plus they hold their value very well so you could switch to something else if you want easily.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 01, 2021, 07:21:52 pm »
If I was going for an EV that will be somewhat fun, not an CUV, and looks good, the only choice is the BMW I4 M50.  But honestly I think the Golf R would be a great last gas car for you.  Plus they hold their value very well so you could switch to something else if you want easily.

Being old and getting very creaky it is important that I have a car I can get in and out of.  I am not sure that the very low Golf R  fits that.

The advantage over the ID4 is that my local dealer will service it.
 The ID4 will have to come from Waterloo...but it won't need much servicing although I am absolutely sure that some part of the complicated electronics will fail.  It is very unclear what VWs charging network will be like

I have not ruled out a Tesla 3 which has a good network of chargers with automatic payment rather than having to sign on to different networks.
There will be the Hyundai Ioniq5 arriving next spring as well.

I have a freshly install 40 amp circuit in my garage already either to use the cable that come with the car or for a Tesla the smart charging device.

I have been thinking about this.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #153 on: November 01, 2021, 07:28:34 pm »
If I was going for an EV that will be somewhat fun, not an CUV, and looks good, the only choice is the BMW I4 M50.  But honestly I think the Golf R would be a great last gas car for you.  Plus I they hold their value very well so you could switch to something else if you want easily.

Being old and getting very creaky it is important that I have a car I can get in and out of.  I am not sure that the very low Golf R  fits that.

The ID4 will have to come from Waterloo...but it won't need much servicing although I am absolutely sure that some part of the complicated electronics will fail.  It is very unclear what VWs charging network will be like

I have not ruled out a Tesla 3 which has a good network of chargers with automatic payment rather than having to sign on to different networks.

I have a freshly install 40 amp circuit in my garage already either to use the cable that come with the car or for a Tesla the smart charging device.

Don’t you usually keep your cars for 5 years before getting a new one ?
I would think in 2024 there will be a lot choices for EVs , I been looking at Ioniq5 online

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 01, 2021, 07:46:41 pm »

Oh, don't go to the dark side. An R will knock 10 years off your life.  ;D The alternative you are talking about will be like submission/going into a LTC facility on the basis of having to be "with it" 'sic'/, get an electric box because someone told you to ....

As W. C. Fields would have said (and did), " Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl! You're not those, are you? "  :rofl2:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/623675-don-t-be-a-luddy-duddy-don-t-be-a-mooncalf-don-t-be

Your first reaction, as is usually the case (get an R), was spot on.  8)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 01, 2021, 07:52:00 pm »

Oh, don't go to the dark side. An R will knock 10 years off your life.  ;D The alternative you are talking about will be like submission/going into a LTC facility on the basis of having to be "with it" 'sic'/, get an electric box because someone told you to ....

As W. C. Fields would have said (and did), " Don't be a luddy-duddy! Don't be a mooncalf! Don't be a jabbernowl! You're not those, are you? "  :rofl2:

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/623675-don-t-be-a-luddy-duddy-don-t-be-a-mooncalf-don-t-be

I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 01, 2021, 07:56:54 pm »

I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!

:rofl: At this stage, I'm just focused on trying to track down who the "they" are, in order to corral and suppress them  :-X

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 01, 2021, 09:48:18 pm »

My guess is the Tesla model 3 is too low if you want baking up to sit into the driver seat without going down ...
 Volvo XC40 recharge maybe?

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2021, 09:30:34 am »
Greetings from Vancouver... couldn't help but share a few more photos. Surprise of the week for us? It's LOUD. We did not expect this from the stock exhaust.

The outgoing car was annoyingly quiet. Here, my first time decelerating, I heard a loud bang I thought I might have run something over... but then it did it again on my next downshift. It was backfiring. Driving through the parking deck at YYZ, a quick burst of throttle in first gear followed by an abrupt lift generates fantastic burbles.

I might be falling in love.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 09:32:49 am by Patrick_D1 »
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2021, 09:54:29 am »
Congrats! I didn't like the new headlights at first but your photos make them look way better than the press releases  :thumbup: