Author Topic: Baby, you're much too fast (Oh, oh)  (Read 22862 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Baby, you're much too fast (Oh, oh)
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2021, 08:33:35 pm »
Date code is 2005.

Good as new!!   :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2021, 09:05:29 pm »
Date code is 2005.

Oooh, I'd get them off ASAP.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2021, 09:06:51 pm »
Date code is 2005.

Oooh, I'd get them off ASAP.

Yea, Firm!

I'm pretty sure your kid needs a tire swing in the back yard.  Or 4 of them!!   ;D

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2021, 09:29:37 pm »
They actually look OK (no cracks or dry rot) for the age, but yeah, I wouldn't be taking any extended highway runs on them....Low priority until I get the rest of the car sorted enough that I comfortable driving it.....kinda need a dashboard and a blower motor  ;D

It's got 245/50/16's on their now. The original size was actually 255/50/16, but that's a pretty scarce size to come by these days. I think the only readily available tire in that size is the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2, which is a great tire, but it's not exactly cheap and I don't feel real good about dumping money into a C4...so I might see what kijiji has to offer.

Pisses me off because I had a decent set of 245/50/16 Kumho Ecstas that were less old (2011) that I tossed last summer. cuz they were in my way. Could've used them.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2021, 10:24:24 pm »
^  Have you ever tried racy rubber?

Toyo Proxes R888R

TOYO
PROXES R888R
Racetrack & Autocross Only
Size: 255/50ZR16 99W
Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 99W
UTQG: 100 AA A

$160.03  @ Tirerack
« Last Edit: March 04, 2021, 10:29:08 pm by blur911 »
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2021, 10:29:39 pm »
This doesn't seem half bad...

https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/extensa-hp-ii/25398

Plus 6% off with promo code.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2021, 10:49:40 pm »
He's an auto journalist... would be zero issue for him to get just about any tire for a track test to evaluate.  :)

One of our colleagues, our managing editor just got some sweet Hankook (I believe RS4) for his Z06 to review, and the 911SC's getting Yokohama V701s.

Also, HECK yeah to an Autos track evening - I'll bring the 911 or Vantage and get Mrs. Hire to bring the M5.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2021, 11:05:31 pm »
He's an auto journalist... would be zero issue for him to get just about any tire for a track test to evaluate.  :)

So get those R888R tires and do a story about how a set of tires makes an old Vette get up and dance. 

I find on cars like these that get minimal use the tires get old before they wear out, like the tires that are on it.  Getting racey rubber will still last years if only driven occasionally for fun.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2021, 11:10:46 pm »

I find on cars like these that get minimal use the tires get old before they wear out, like the tires that are on it.  Getting racey rubber will still last years if only driven occasionally for fun.

I fully agree with this. I put PS4S on the S2000 in 2017 or so, and they've probably seen ~5,000km since then and maybe 5-6 track days/5-6 autocross days. They're still just fine with plenty of tread.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2021, 08:57:28 am »
^  Have you ever tried racy rubber?

Toyo Proxes R888R

TOYO
PROXES R888R
Racetrack & Autocross Only
Size: 255/50ZR16 99W
Style: Blackwall
Serv. Desc: 99W
UTQG: 100 AA A

$160.03  @ Tirerack

Agreed R888R's are great. I also used to run A048's which have much better grip, but a dot tread rating of 60. Boy would you get through those fast!

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2021, 11:00:28 am »
I like the idea of racey rubber. I drove my brother's 308 on aged out street tires and then right after he had installed some RE71-Rs and the difference was shocking, and yeah, after 2-3 seasons on them they still have plenty of life.

It's true that through the journalism thing, or even though my role at CT, it would be easy enough to get a suitable set of tires gratis. I personally though make an effort to avoid that path most of the time....Part of the joy I derive from fixing up old cars is doing it on a budget and being resourceful/innovative to do it. Anyone (literally, anyone) can write cheques (or in this case, leverage their position) to get fancy new shiny bits and throw them at a car (or pay someone to throw them at said car). There's no skill in it, and it's not interesting to me.

Exception being where there's some true value add content/insight that could be had 'testing' a product like a set of tires. I do think that the idea of a story on how replacing aged out rubber with something more track oriented on a summer toy, even if that's not the primary usage, would be worth doing. So, if this vette gets far enough along that I can put some meaningful miles on it, maybe an autocross or track day, some race rubber could be in the cards.

The Trans Am uses the same size (the 245/50/16) and has a decent set of street performance rubber (Falken ZE912) on it; so I could always put something new on that and put those on the Vette.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2021, 09:01:46 pm »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2021, 09:12:51 pm »

Exception being where there's some true value add content/insight that could be had 'testing' a product like a set of tires. I do think that the idea of a story on how replacing aged out rubber with something more track oriented on a summer toy, even if that's not the primary usage, would be worth doing. So, if this vette gets far enough along that I can put some meaningful miles on it, maybe an autocross or track day, some race rubber could be in the cards.

In the 20+ years ago I used to autocross against similar vintage Vettes and they were quick.   I remember the owners and engineers from Paradigm speakers all drove them....quite well too :skid:

Remember that race rubber is usually cheaper than the "slower" top of the line tires.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2021, 11:50:08 am »

One of our colleagues, our managing editor just got some sweet Hankook (I believe RS4) for his Z06 to review, and the 911SC's getting Yokohama V701s.

Also, HECK yeah to an Autos track evening - I'll bring the 911 or Vantage and get Mrs. Hire to bring the M5.

Anybody needs a review for 185r15's ?  ;D  This spring I will lose the Triumph's front Cokers (new, but 9 y.o.) and rear Michelins (23 y.o. and they look like it) for a modern set of 205/70R15's. Wife complains so much about my "money pit" that I may have to spin an article on the new shoes.

Firm, the Toyo Versado Noir would look great on the 'Vette, not too dear usually.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2021, 10:40:04 pm »
Been tinkering with the digital dash a bit. Found the detailed schematic for the connectors in the car so I can verify the wiring there before I reinstall the cluster. Then I pulled the cluster partially apart to check for all the common issues (they're fairly well documented online). The cluster has two circuit boards that are sandwiched together with a connector between them, that connector is the most common source of trouble. Mine checked out alright, save for a few burn marks on one of the pins, I cleaned that up, cleaned all the pins, applied a slight bit of dielectric grease to them and replaced the 4 backlighting bulbs for good measure.

No obviously fried capacitors, burn marks, or any other signs of trouble. Since the cluster did work intermittently (it would occasionally come on when I hit bumps) I suspect it was either that main connector between the two boards that was loose, or the main connector in the car, which I still need to properly inspect.

Anyway, it should be good to go, but I probably won't get it try it for another week or two.

The back board (note the big white connector and faint burn mark on the bottom left)

Front board

The odometer...From this point it would take me about 3 minutes to remove it and change the numbers to whatever I wanted. I am not doing that, but it's interesting, and yes to see why odometer scams were much more popular in the 80's/90's.

I gotta say though, researching this cluster I am pretty impressed with the amount of tech here for the mid-80's. 3 separate LCD screens, this must have been mind blowing when it came out in 1984

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2021, 10:43:27 pm »
 :thumbup: :thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2021, 08:06:56 am »
Cleaning contacts and applying dielectric grease - British Car Electrics 101 applied to the computer age !

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2021, 06:01:31 pm »
Well, as it goes with old cars, things are never easy...

After messing with the dash last week and feeling pretty confident I had it's issues solved, I was excited to try it in the car on Saturday, so braving the wind and iffy temperatures I went to the car, plugged it all back in and....same B.S.  >:( Pull out the wiring/pin out diagrams for the car and spent an hour or so checking the harness in the car....found and fixed one bad ground, but still no dice with the dash. Then I was able to position the cluster so I could remove the back cover while still plugged into the car, and spent another half hour checking circuits....again, no luck.

I did get the blower motor working for $0 (bad ground), fixed a power window switch that was all loose in it's socket, and replaced some exterior bulbs to get all the lighting working properly. So not a total loss of the afternoon, but the inoperable dash kind a put a damper on it.

I was pretty well done playing with the dash, so I went online looking for refurbishers I could send it out too....All US based, and pretty $$, but I've gotta have guages.

Sleeping on it though, I decided to take another angle today. I spent another hour or two making a bench test harness....Basically identifying all the pins I'd need to put 12V or ground to in order to get it to power up. Of the ~50 pins on the thing, most of them are information inputs from the car's sensors, some cruise control circuity, etc. I figured that there were 3 pins that needed 12V and 2 that needed ground to get it to fire up (without any info to display obviously). I had some tiny female pin terminals (left over from DTS heated/cooled eat module repair years ago) and used those and some random scrap wire to build a little harness.

Plugged into a battery on the bench, it behaved exactly as it did in the car.....So at least that ruled out any of the car's wiring as an issue. With it open on the bench, and powered up, I could really poke around inside and start checking outputs at capacitors and w/e to follow the flow of power. Doing that, it didn't take long to find where the voltage dropped off, and investigating around there I found a spot where the 'power supply board' wasn't making a proper connection to the main board. Manually making the connection (by pushing on it) the dash would light op properly! Cleaned up that connection and built a little clip (from a cable staple) which I combined with a bit of superglue to hold the power board in place properly.

And she works!

Here it is, hooked up an in 'self test mode' (first 5 seconds or so when it powers up and everything lights up):

And here it is in 'run' mode...Course, there's no data because none of the input feeds are hooked up.

The brightness is very sensitive, there's a little light sensor in the top left corner and if I shut the lights in my workshop off it dims right down, turning the lights on and shining a flashligt into the sensor, it goes full bright. Pretty cool.

Anyway, the trials of cars like this....it's so frustrating when you're losing, but feels so good when you finally beat it. Since I got the dash fixed with zero $ spent, I am gunna order up some weather striping and window sweeps  :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2021, 06:06:43 pm »
I don't have the brains to tackle a task like that, so I am very impressed.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 14, 2021, 06:15:10 pm »
 Mechanical stuff? No problem. Cosmetic? No problem. Electrical? Problem!  Yep...I'm an electrical idiot.

I'd have to send mine away.