Author Topic: Bob's New Vehicle  (Read 39959 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Bob's New Vehicle
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2021, 11:41:48 pm »
Congrats! Seems like a great choice. Love the colour, and also prefer the double cab - looks better, and of course the longer bed is nice.

If your plan is to put the dirt bikes in the back, skip the lift kit. Loading bikes is enough of a PITA as it is. Come to think of it, how did you move the bikes around before? Think I remember a pic of a trailer, but did you pull it with the GTI? ???

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #101 on: January 31, 2021, 07:48:12 am »
Congrats on an awesome truck. Every time somebody buys a Toyota truck I have to watch this ad again.  :rofl2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uLJitPWAXM&ab_channel=SONICMATRIX

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #102 on: January 31, 2021, 08:35:00 am »
Nice choice and congrats!  :thumbup:  Not surprised though as I figured it would be a Toyota truck.  :)

Pretty hard to beat a truck for a toy hauler and adventure vehicle.   :thumbup:

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #103 on: January 31, 2021, 08:51:37 am »
Congrats on an awesome truck. Every time somebody buys a Toyota truck I have to watch this ad again.  :rofl2:

:rofl2: :rofl2:

I'm definitely going to get nicer wheels, but not lift it, it's high enough. I want to be able to get the bikes in easily.

Firm there are already two boxes under the rear seats for storage, looks pretty neat. You could easily fit a laptop bag and other stuff in there for security. I had to google in channel vent visor, didn't know what they were. What's the real benefit of these? As I've never liked the look TBH.

I might get the front windows tinted, but just focusing on learning where the bloody corners are right now, the front right corner is a mystery to me, so I'm ending up taking a super wide berth around everything!  :o

Heli, before I was using my wife's Tiguan to tow a 5x8 trailer, which I didn't enjoy. The Tiguan is fine, but I hate pulling a trailer.  I'll probably sell it which will help offset this even more.

I think it was this exact model, what do you think I could get for it on kijiji? https://www.rona.ca/en/carry-on-utility-trailer-black-5-x-8-5x8g-30737401

Had it Krowned the other day (thanks for the reco Jeff), will do it every year.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #104 on: January 31, 2021, 08:57:13 am »
I might get the front windows tinted, but just focusing on learning where the bloody corners are right now, the front right corner is a mystery to me, so I'm ending up taking a super wide berth around everything!  :o

Do you mean when you're parking, or just every day?  You get used to the size pretty quickly when driving, IMO. 

I'm not sure if you're aware, but to help you park, I noticed that your truck is equipped with parking sensors.  There's one on each front corner, and like four at the back.  Keep in mind there isn't a sensor for direct ahead, just just be careful if you're pulling into a spot.  It'll warn you if your front corner is about to hit something, but not the middle front, lol.  Still, they come in handy on a large vehicle, regardless of how good of a driver you are.

Anyway, the button to turn them on/off is low and either to the left or right of the steering wheel. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 09:00:26 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 31, 2021, 08:59:24 am »
ANYWAY, thanks for the timing of this.  Yesterday I needed to go to Home Depot to pick up a 8' piece of trim and some paint(we're fixing up/painting the wife's basement office).  I was prepared to drop the back seat in the Civic, and figured I could fit it in there.  Instead your post got me excited to drive the truck, so I took it instead.  Roads were messy, so now I need to wash the truck again, lol.  Thanks!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2021, 09:22:22 am »
LOL

Do you mean when you're parking, or just every day?  You get used to the size pretty quickly when driving, IMO. 

I'm not sure if you're aware, but to help you park, I noticed that your truck is equipped with parking sensors.  There's one on each front corner, and like four at the back.  Keep in mind there isn't a sensor for direct ahead, just just be careful if you're pulling into a spot.  It'll warn you if your front corner is about to hit something, but not the middle front, lol.  Still, they come in handy on a large vehicle, regardless of how good of a driver you are.

Anyway, the button to turn them on/off is low and either to the left or right of the steering wheel.

Yeah the parking sensors are super useful. The main issue is driving down a small street that suddenly has parked cars on the right, even trying to judge distance at 30-40kph I feel like I'm going to smack into them, but can't take a massive wide berth or I'm into oncoming traffic. It's nerve wracking at the moment as I get used to the width.  On country roads I've figured out that the centre line lines up with the air vent, and the curb line lines up with a dot on the dash, and looking in the mirrors, I'm in the middle of the lane.  :rofl2:

But that's hard to apply when I don't have the luxury of an empty road ahead.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2021, 09:50:12 am »
A few years ago I went to cycle the Blue Ridge Parkway and one of the guys had access to a 30 foot RV. I only drove it once and hated every single second of it. I'd imagine an hour or two in one of those would make driving yoru pickup much easier.  I also don't understand how anybody with a regular license is even allowed to drive an RV. Stay very far away from them on the roads.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 31, 2021, 09:59:46 am »
A few years ago I went to cycle the Blue Ridge Parkway and one of the guys had access to a 30 foot RV. I only drove it once and hated every single second of it. I'd imagine an hour or two in one of those would make driving yoru pickup much easier.  I also don't understand how anybody with a regular license is even allowed to drive an RV. Stay very far away from them on the roads.

Agreed. I once drove a double decker coach that was ridiculously long, too long legally for UK roads in fact. The driver's seat was about 1 metre ahead of the front wheels, so it would swing you way out in front, no idea how anyone drives these things in tight spaces.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2021, 12:27:39 pm »
Great choice Bob!

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2021, 12:50:02 pm »
I think we need to change this forum name to Tundras.ca now...

Also, I'm kind of sad because I don't think I have twin cars with anyone else on here :-[
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2021, 01:46:22 pm »
I think we need to change this forum name to Tundras.ca now...

Also, I'm kind of sad because I don't think I have twin cars with anyone else on here :-[

Buy me a Vantage, and then you'll have a twin!

That being said, you've got a BMW wagon, doesn't Oliver have a BMW wagon?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2021, 01:57:01 pm »

all the ads from that era were pretty good...along with the one you linked, these were also good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u15HmEMp2Qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_OtbXmu9kg
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2021, 04:01:55 pm »

all the ads from that era were pretty good...along with the one you linked, these were also good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u15HmEMp2Qc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_OtbXmu9kg

Those were great especially the meteor one.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2021, 05:01:50 pm »
OK. Help me mod this thing!

So the current wheels/tires are 275/55 R20 Continental CrossContact LX20's. Brand new so lots of tread, but fairly boring.

I want to replace them with 18" wheels, with beefier off-road looking tires. I don't need true off-road performance, just something that looks the part, that will still be OK on the highway. By my calcs, the total diameter is 31.9"/810.5mm, therefore an 18" rim would need either 255/70 or 275/65 tires, both are only +0.5% out from OEM. Preferably the latter for the extra width.

Looking for wheels like this:

or

Not sure where to start, the online places seem a bit useless. Any recommendations?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2021, 05:05:26 pm »
www.Tundras.com

Lots of people on there who will post what they've done to their trucks.  You can get some ideas.

Another popular mod for owners of non-TRD trucks are to replace the shocks with Bilsteins 5112/6112's.  Apparently they improve the ride a fair bit.

Oh, and my tires are 275/65R18.  I would imagine both our trucks have similar diameter tires, so that's what you should look for.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 05:20:53 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 31, 2021, 05:39:00 pm »
Congrats!  Hope it does you well for many years.  Or the two or so you keep 'em for.  ;D  You're like rrocket...only different.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #117 on: January 31, 2021, 05:45:28 pm »
Don’t do 255-70, they look wimpy. That’s what my winters are. Go 275-65.

Have a look on any  tire website for an A/T tire. I’ve got Goodyear wranglers and they are good all around. Fobroader will be along shortly telling you to get Duratracs. Any mud terrain will likely be overkill for what you’re looking for.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 31, 2021, 05:48:14 pm »
Don’t do 255-70, they look wimpy. That’s what my winters are. Go 275-65.

Same.  I have 255/70R18 as my winters, and I agree, they're a little too skinny.  The stock 275/65R18's look just right.

My vote would be for BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #119 on: January 31, 2021, 05:54:33 pm »
I would go with the bronze TRD rims with some 285 75 18s Cooper Discoverer at3 xlt

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....