Author Topic: Bob's New Vehicle  (Read 40228 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Bob's New Vehicle
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2021, 11:32:03 am »
In my head, I've been thinking (hoping) that he bought himself a 2016 Tundra...  It's got a great V8, can haul the bikes, has four wheels, and isn't a domestic. 

But then I snap back to reality, and realize that most people don't do that, and Bob has zero history (that I know of) of driving trucks.  Plus he likes smaller, nimble vehicles, and a Tundra is neither of those things.

Maybe a Tacoma...

I did mention a Tacoma earlier, and he didn't say that somebody had guessed it.

I'm getting the feeling Bob isn't noting if someone guessed correct.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2021, 11:37:19 am »
In my head, I've been thinking (hoping) that he bought himself a 2016 Tundra...  It's got a great V8, can haul the bikes, has four wheels, and isn't a domestic. 

But then I snap back to reality, and realize that most people don't do that, and Bob has zero history (that I know of) of driving trucks.  Plus he likes smaller, nimble vehicles, and a Tundra is neither of those things.

Maybe a Tacoma...

I did mention a Tacoma earlier, and he didn't say that somebody had guessed it.

I'm getting the feeling Bob isn't noting if someone guessed correct.

Honestly, I don't know why, but I can 'see' him in a 2016 Tacoma.  It would fit.  Seems his style. 

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2021, 11:38:47 am »

2016 Cayenne GTS,  pretty :pimp:

I like this guess, seems to fit the bill.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2021, 12:38:08 pm »

Boom! There it is!  ;D

Did a lot of research on what I wanted next, helped by this forum:

While I'm not a big fan of the front end of this truck, this is a very solid used buy. Have a neighbor with a 2010-2011 with well over 350,000km and hes never had any issues with it.

If I were a tradesperson and needed a truck, I'd buy the best used Tundra I could afford.

A guy I know has a 2010 with like 350k+ kms on it.  He's waiting for it to die so that he can justify replacing it, but the damn thing just refuses to give up the ghost.

So, I've been looking, just for fun, and what I'm seeing is that any Tundra double cab (I'd need double cab, because family) with 200k+ kms goes for at minimum, $15000.  To me, this seems crazy, spending $15k on a vehicle with >200k kms. 

IS that crazy?  There's no way I'd spend that much money on a Ford or a Dodge or a Chevy with those kinds of kms.  Do these Tundras really have that much life left that spending that kind of dough on them is justified, or even sensible?

I LOVE the idea of a newer Durango R/T in two years, but damn, they're a lot of money.  I'd be willing (and my wife supports this) to buy a higher mileage Tundra instead, ending up with basically no car payment.  As long as I could drive it for another 5 years/ 150k kms, then I suppose it would make sense?

This is just my experience, but if you want a truck that'll last the Tundra is the one to get.  Buddy across the street has a 2007 Chevy with similar km to mine and much lighter use (little towing).  The last two years have been one item after another.  He's sunk thousands in repairs just this year.  Buddy two houses over got rid of his '09 GM because it was one thing after another.  GM drivetrains are good, after that....  Of course these are just a couple examples, but reliability from CR gives a good indication that the Tundra's are strong trucks.

My truck is solid after 11 years. As time goes on I realize more and more how well its put together.  Suspension/steering is still tight.  Heck I'm still on the original front brake pads at 170k (will be replacing soon). I drove a '14 a few years back and my '07 felt just as solid.  It's likely my next truck will be a Tundra, but I'm more about having a solid build than worrying about features.  No doubt the current Tundra is lacking in that department, as well as efficiency. 

And ya, it'll tow a decent trailer.  I have no issues with my 31' RV.

And many others.

I was still paying monthly for the golf, and with WFH it's just sitting there doing nothing. Takes me a month to get through a tank of gas. So inspired by the fiscal responsibility in the 'what's your limit' thread I decided to bite the bullet.  Traded in the Golf for a decent amount, paid just over $30K total cash for the Truck, so nothing owed. I don't have a commute, so no need to drive anywhere anymore, all I'm doing now is hauling dirt bikes, or riding one of the motorcycles in the Summer, therefore the shitty gas mileage isn't really a concern.

This 2016 has 140K on the odo, is the double cab as I don't need a massive space in the back, and has the 6.5ft bed. 5.7L V8 of course ;D , and is the LTD trim, so leather, nav, touchscreen, back up camera, parking sensors, heated seats, and a few other bits and bobs I haven't figured out yet.  I mainly wanted leather (easier to keep clean after getting changed out of dirt biking gear) and a back up camera, everything else is a bonus. I looked at a 2013 that was $4K cheaper, but to be honest, the massive step up in interior quality after the 2014 facelift was worth the extra few $K, especially as I'm going to be keeping this for a long time.

It also has a spray in liner, and a 3 piece tonneau cover. Can't think of anything else right now, just love it!  ;D

Best part is, it has a few dings and scratches here and there, which means I'm not precious about it at all. I was prepared to buy a shitbox, but this is really good!  :rofl2:

Now I need you guys to help me accessorize!  :P

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2021, 12:49:33 pm »
Nice, happy hauling!
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2021, 12:50:23 pm »

Boom! There it is!  ;D

You're now Tundra Bob!  Congrats on the great purchase.  Your Show 'n Shine pics are always better than everyone else's.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2021, 12:53:01 pm »
Congrats. Absolutely the best choice for a 1/2 ton.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2021, 12:55:22 pm »
Sweet truck dude! I like it.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2021, 12:56:44 pm »
Nice find!!! These are great trucks! My cousin has had 4 in a row that he racks up the mileage on them out in Alberta, beats the :censor: out of them for work & play (avid hunter & fisherman) and they don't miss a beat. Last time I was out west his latest had a leveling kit on the front & a 2" lift on the back & then bigger wheels & tires... that would be a good addition for yours. The other thing he always got was the TRD performance exhaust dealer installed, made the V8 sound f'n fantastic! These would be the 2 mods I'd consider in your shoes. Again, nice purchase!

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2021, 01:30:00 pm »
Thanks guys, feels guuuud! GRRRRR!  :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #70 on: January 30, 2021, 01:35:05 pm »

Boom! There it is!  ;D

You're now Tundra Bob!  Congrats on the great purchase.  Your Show 'n Shine pics are always better than everyone else's.
yeah they are, but just wait till spring...will try and give him a run with the pro pics of my Jag

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #71 on: January 30, 2021, 01:35:38 pm »
Great choice, should give you many years of happy motoring and if you ever decide to change to something else the resale value on these are amazing.  Congrats

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2021, 01:43:33 pm »

Boom! There it is!  ;D

yeah they are, but just wait till spring...will try and give him a run with the pro pics of my Jag

Thanks Bubba, these were just my iphone ones from this morning.  ;D  Pro just means you're getting paid.  :P

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2021, 01:57:02 pm »
Excellent choice Bob. Did you find used truck prices to be crazy high? I mean you paid $30k all in, after trade, for a 4-5 year old truck with 140k...  :o The used truck market has skyrocketed.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2021, 01:59:08 pm »
Sweeeeet.  Congrats on the truck.  I'm so happy to add to the Tundra club on the forum.  And the DC makes sense for you over the CrewMax.  Are you able to fit two bikes in the box and close the tailgate?

So, you've had a string of smaller, nimble, powerful cars.  I'm curious what your thoughts are on the drivetrain of the truck.

And, was a Tacoma ever in the running?  I know the seating position isn't for everyone, but I feel like you're on the smaller side.  Just wondering, if a Tacoma was ever considered, and what pushed you over to the Tundra?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2021, 01:59:38 pm »
Boss truck Bob! :cheers:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7216
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2021, 02:02:03 pm »
Yea, I'm kinda interested to hear his impressions/day to day
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2021, 02:04:55 pm »
Excellent choice Bob. Did you find used truck prices to be crazy high? I mean you paid $30k all in, after trade, for a 4-5 year old truck with 140k...  :o The used truck market has skyrocketed.

The way I see it, is it's $30K for a truck that costs what $50K + tax new? That is broken in, but still has a lot of life left? I'm Ok with that.

I would only be worried about the age or mileage if it was domestic.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2021, 02:05:16 pm »
Congrats and happy motoring Bob!

(The moment one buys a truck is when he finds out how many relatives he really has - old Chinese proverb  ;D)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2021, 02:09:39 pm »
Congrats Bob, happy motoring  :drive: