Author Topic: Chaos' Black Beast XJL-R  (Read 32123 times)

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: Chaos' Black Beast XJL-R
« Reply #180 on: May 27, 2021, 11:36:11 am »
Hey, if you are going to own a car like that working in a Jag shop is the time to do it

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #181 on: May 27, 2021, 12:10:49 pm »
My money is on fake spark plugs which burn like candles  :-X
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #182 on: May 27, 2021, 12:20:12 pm »
Hope not, they were NGKs from Rockauto. Passed our master tech's visual inspection as he was installing them...
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2021, 12:43:57 pm »
I doubt it's plug quality. My money is on coils....but it could be something totally unrelated. Curious to see what it ends up being. Mine, with no tune and high miles (up around 172K now) has been flawless other than maintenance stuff. *knock on wood*

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2021, 12:46:27 pm »
^yeah, my guess would be coils as well. How did the old plugs look after they were removed? Usually a sign if they're putting a strain on the coils.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2021, 12:55:05 pm »
Hope not, they were NGKs from Rockauto. Passed our master tech's visual inspection as he was installing them...

I replaced mine a couple of years ago. Also from RA and also NGKs. So far so good. But I have seen them burn like straw, Bosch 4-point ones come to mind in an F-150, lasted a month or two, and they were from a popular Canadian automotive store.

RA accepts returns and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't inspect the parts too thoroughly before re-shelving them. Fakes are becoming hard to spot too.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2021, 12:59:15 pm »
You work in a LR/Jag shop and you bought plugs from Rock Auto? Is the mark up still nasty for employees?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2021, 01:06:31 pm »
You work in a LR/Jag shop and you bought plugs from Rock Auto? Is the mark up still nasty for employees?
No, but parts bare cost is determined by JLR Canada, and they pay too much for some items. Like plugs. Sometimes, even with employee discount, much cheaper to go RA for the same item.

Old plugs were fine but starting to show a little wear, they were 85k and 6 years old.

Will update as the car gets looked at, back of the pack of course behind all the customer cars we can barely get through in a day...overbooked and understaffed as usual.

Glad your XKRs engine is doing well Firm.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2021, 02:57:19 pm »
Car in the shop, I think my tune killed a couple of weak coils or new spark plugs. CEL, rough idle and accelerations after a "very legal speeds" drive on some back roads  ::)

FBC issues and "I told you sos" aside, lets hope it is a quick couple of coils to replace and I am back out there roasting my rear tires today.  :'(
When increasing boost, you may need different heat range/gapped/better plugs.

On high boost the Supra used to "blow out" plugs.

It wasn't until I used top shelf Densos that I could run as much boost as I wanted.

The Densos were/are spectacular for high boost applications.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2021, 03:10:26 pm »
What does the company that created the tune have to say about it?  Surely they have some experience that they could share as to what the next week point in the system is that needs upgrading...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2021, 03:22:22 pm »
Car in the shop, I think my tune killed a couple of weak coils or new spark plugs. CEL, rough idle and accelerations after a "very legal speeds" drive on some back roads  ::)

FBC issues and "I told you sos" aside, lets hope it is a quick couple of coils to replace and I am back out there roasting my rear tires today.  :'(
When increasing boost, you may need different heat range/gapped/better plugs.

On high boost the Supra used to "blow out" plugs.

It wasn't until I used top shelf Densos that I could run as much boost as I wanted.

The Densos were/are spectacular for high boost applications.
Tuner specifically tuned for the gap of the stock plugs, as the colder range plugs were discontinued by manufacturers in 2018, apparently. So supposed to be OK there, but I know what you are talking about.

What does the company that created the tune have to say about it?  Surely they have some experience that they could share as to what the next week point in the system is that needs upgrading...
Have been in touch with them, the tuner is happy to work with my tech on the issue and adjust his tune accordingly.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2021, 04:24:36 pm »
Update: Was an intermittent code that happened only at full throttle for lean on the bank 5. Everything checks out mechanically, and the gas is good. Will be datalogging and sending to my tuner to perhaps tweak WOT fueling. I am assured nothing is broken, but worst case it needs an injector. Codes cleared, will see how things are.  :-X

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2022, 01:41:39 pm »
Long needed update: Gheera will be going up for auction in the near future. I have come to an agreement with Cars and Bids. I absolutely love this car, it is a dream car of mine, but I cannot afford the payments, gas, insurance, upkeep of this super sedan AND save for a house. So, again (god I miss my Alfa), I break my own heart and part with my beloved wheels.

Will update as the process continues.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2022, 02:21:38 pm »
Long needed update: Gheera will be going up for auction in the near future. I have come to an agreement with Cars and Bids. I absolutely love this car, it is a dream car of mine, but I cannot afford the payments, gas, insurance, upkeep of this super sedan AND save for a house. So, again (god I miss my Alfa), I break my own heart and part with my beloved wheels.

Good Luck with the sale.  I hope you meet your reserve and then some!  Send us the link when it gets posted.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #194 on: May 09, 2022, 02:28:08 pm »

Good Luck with the sale.  I hope you meet your reserve and then some!  Send us the link when it gets posted.
Yeah, good luck bud.  It's heart breaking but being an adult can suck sometimes. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #195 on: May 09, 2022, 02:50:01 pm »
I absolutely love this car, it is a dream car of mine, but I cannot afford the payments, gas, insurance, upkeep of this super sedan AND save for a house.

Pretty sure we warned you about this.  :P

Good luck with the sale!

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 09, 2022, 03:10:37 pm »
I absolutely love this car, it is a dream car of mine, but I cannot afford the payments, gas, insurance, upkeep of this super sedan AND save for a house.

Pretty sure we warned you about this.  :P

Good luck with the sale!
You did, but at the time the house was not in the picture. I could float the Jag no problem as I was not trying to pack away one of my two pay checks in savings. Things have changed of course.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #197 on: May 09, 2022, 03:26:59 pm »
I'm surprised you went with CnB. I have sold a car or two on C&B, and my experience with Collecting Cars has been much better!
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 09, 2022, 04:24:07 pm »
I'm surprised you went with CnB. I have sold a car or two on C&B, and my experience with Collecting Cars has been much better!
I would agree, but CC was the lowest of the bunch with what I wanted with a reserve. Their customer service is second to none, however.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2022, 05:06:58 pm »

AS a salesman once told me; "You can live in your car but you can't drive your house."  ;D