Author Topic: Chaos' Black Beast XJL-R  (Read 32120 times)

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Chaos' Black Beast XJL-R
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2021, 11:01:40 am »
Well Porsche had a part in developing the Duratec V6.  SVT did some head work. All I know is that it developed it's power way up high,  loved to rev and sounded great doing it. Probably best described as an American version of the Alfa.

Was the engine hard to work on? Probably although I sold it before any major work was needed. No worse than working on a modern engine such as lets say a 5.0L AJ engine shoehorned into an LR4..

I worked at Ford during the time of the Contour. The V6 and SVT were virtually unsellable, the biggest sellers were the stripper deluxe, 4 banger models. I enjoyed driving the V6 and SVTs, but they sold like crap.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2021, 11:12:11 am »
Well Porsche had a part in developing the Duratec V6.  SVT did some head work. All I know is that it developed it's power way up high,  loved to rev and sounded great doing it. Probably best described as an American version of the Alfa.

Was the engine hard to work on? Probably although I sold it before any major work was needed. No worse than working on a modern engine such as lets say a 5.0L AJ engine shoehorned into an LR4..

I worked at Ford during the time of the Contour. The V6 and SVT were virtually unsellable, the biggest sellers were the stripper deluxe, 4 banger models. I enjoyed driving the V6 and SVTs, but they sold like crap.

Yeah they were too expensive for what they were and less room than a Taurus!  ;D  I bought mine used for pennies on the dollar from some rich guy. I asked him why he had this Ford (stablemates were a Range Rover and a 911..) . He had built up so many points on a corporate "Ford" credit card and the points were going to start expiring. He wandered down to a Ford Dealer and couldn't find anything to tickle his fancy except for this oddball little Euro car. He bought the SVT on points lol. After driving for a year here and there he decided to make garage room. I believe I picked it up for about $18k with 9k kms on on the odo. Drove it to about 80k kms and flipped it for $15k.  I had to add seat heaters as it had leather and no heat. WTF?

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2021, 11:21:08 am »

IIRC the exhaust manifold was a single piece, yes on a V6, and it was troublesome, can't remember if broken studs, cracking, something like that.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2021, 11:31:44 am »
A whole car on points?  :o

I obviously live in a different world. I got $10 off groceries at Safeway on Airmiles once.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2021, 11:33:10 am »
The entire chassis, actually.  And most of the drivetrains.
Yep, and we HATE working on them. Hot garbage these cars were...
ah, the Jaguar Taurus. :)

The Contour....

The Contour was actually a decent little car for Ford.  Didn't translate well to a luxury brand, though.
ah, that's right...forgot about the Contour...i think some of the interior bits were the same as my Taurus though (as i remember thinking about that when i had my Taurus).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2021, 11:39:08 am »
A whole car on points?  :o

I obviously live in a different world. I got $10 off groceries at Safeway on Airmiles once.

Corporate card... I think they have cracked down on that stuff now.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2021, 11:57:33 am »
The entire chassis, actually.  And most of the drivetrains.
Yep, and we HATE working on them. Hot garbage these cars were...

Specifically why? I owned a Contour SVT which was related and it was a fabulous little car. Still to this date one of the best handling FWD cars I have driven. The only problems it had IIRC was a plastic impeller water pump. Did the Jaguar version add some other components? The upside to the X type was that it was available with a manual so there is that.

If I had to say which Jags were hot garbage then the X type doesn't make the top two. It has to be the XJ V12 (great looking though) followed by the AJV8 nikasil affected cars in the mid to late nineties. Again the XJ.

My favorite Jag is the previous version XJR:

edit: I take it back reading XJ articles I don't know which I prefer. They are all good.

I hope you're watching Harry's Garage!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw5PMKa88Ng

Part 4 where they get to the engine is very interesting. You can tell he's tempted by the 7L upgrade.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #167 on: May 14, 2021, 12:06:06 pm »
What about the e-type clown shoe coupe?

Compared to a Ford in a light disguise.....I think the E-type still has some redeeming qualities. Where the Xtype was just a "I can't afford a real Jag, oh, I can get a Presidents Choice Jag, ooohhh, shiny".

I wasn't comparing it to anything. I was just saying the 2+2 wasn't a looker by any stretch.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 14, 2021, 12:09:25 pm »

Did the 2+2 ever come with the ugly rubber bumpers?

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #169 on: May 14, 2021, 12:16:57 pm »
What about the e-type clown shoe coupe?

Compared to a Ford in a light disguise.....I think the E-type still has some redeeming qualities. Where the Xtype was just a "I can't afford a real Jag, oh, I can get a Presidents Choice Jag, ooohhh, shiny".

I wasn't comparing it to anything. I was just saying the 2+2 wasn't a looker by any stretch.

I don't know, thats still pretty feckin gorgeous to me...compared to the convertible E-type, its not as good looking but thats one of the best looking cars ever made.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #170 on: May 14, 2021, 12:48:55 pm »

Did the 2+2 ever come with the ugly rubber bumpers?

Yes, here's one my dad had a few years ago, late (74?) V12, rubber bumper 2+2...automatic. Probably the least desirable of the E-types, but still a sweet car IMO.

Worth noting that there are actually a lot of variants of E-types....S1, S1.5, S2, S3, and then roadster, coupe and 2+2 versions of each. S1s are the most desirable, but the others are not exactly low-rent these days either. 2+2 have always been looked down on versus the roadsters and coupes, but as the e-type market exploded the 2+2s went with it, so even they are bringing really good money these days.

Edit: just realized my dad's did not have the full-sized rubber overriders, guess his was a 73 or maybe early production 74....Either way, such a thing did exist on a 2+2.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:51:04 pm by Firm »

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 14, 2021, 12:53:14 pm »
Did your Dad convert from rubber things to the metal-ish over riders?

The 2+2 is still a good looking car. It just looks a little tall and the top part of the door is a awkward. The MG A pulled off its coupe conversion better.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #172 on: May 14, 2021, 01:46:20 pm »
He didn't convert it, but it might have been done prior, I am not sure.

I really like the E-type coupe (non 2+2), some angles it's even better than the roadster, but I agree that the 2+2 is awkward.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 14, 2021, 04:13:34 pm »

I don't know, thats still pretty feckin gorgeous to me...compared to the convertible E-type, its not as good looking but thats one of the best looking cars ever made.

I have to disagree.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #174 on: May 15, 2021, 05:33:04 pm »
Man, y'all need Apollo 5000GT coupes like Peter Thorndyke.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 15, 2021, 09:51:58 pm »
Man, y'all need Apollo 5000GT coupes like Peter Thorndyke.

There's actual one in Ontario, the bodyshop that did my dad's MGTC a couple years ago had it in there when we were checking in on the TC...It was even yellow and had a 'Thorndyke' plate.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #176 on: May 27, 2021, 11:12:08 am »
Car in the shop, I think my tune killed a couple of weak coils or new spark plugs. CEL, rough idle and accelerations after a "very legal speeds" drive on some back roads  ::)

FBC issues and "I told you sos" aside, lets hope it is a quick couple of coils to replace and I am back out there roasting my rear tires today.  :'(
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #177 on: May 27, 2021, 11:14:47 am »
 :shuffle:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #178 on: May 27, 2021, 11:15:45 am »
Car in the shop, I think my tune killed a couple of weak coils or new spark plugs. CEL, rough idle and accelerations after a "very legal speeds" drive on some back roads  ::)

FBC issues and "I told you sos" aside, lets hope it is a quick couple of coils to replace and I am back out there roasting my rear tires today.  :'(

Thanks for being honest with any issues that may arise, though. 

In the same way that I'm honest with the fuel economy of my Tundra, I appreciate your honestly with any 'Jaguarisms' that you may encounter.  A full accounting of the ownership experience, so to speak.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2021, 11:19:47 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #179 on: May 27, 2021, 11:31:20 am »

Thanks for being honest with any issues that may arise, though. 

In the same way that I'm honest with the fuel economy of my Tundra, I appreciate your honestly with any 'Jaguarisms' that you may encounter.  A full accounting of the ownership experience, so to speak.
I will not sugar coat anything, honest ownership account for all my cars. Good and bad. Who gains if I do otherwise?  :rofl2:
Fingers crossed indeed.