Author Topic: MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Setup  (Read 13448 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Setup
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2021, 11:21:40 am »
Does US prime require a separate membership? It says for prime members only but I am a member  ???
Nope, your Canadian membership works as well.
I've found that some products are much cheaper going through the US site even when you factor in shipping and the US dollar.
Railton

Weird. My membership is not showing up on amazon.com. I sent an email, hopefully they respond soon. This deal ends tomorrow.
Maybe I am not following you here.
Are you asking for Amazon or amazon prime expecting  free shipping coming from the states?
If the latter, no free shipping from the US.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2021, 11:41:17 am »
Does US prime require a separate membership? It says for prime members only but I am a member  ???
I've found that some products are much cheaper going through the US site even when you factor in shipping and the US dollar.
Railton

Weird. My membership is not showing up on amazon.com. I sent an email, hopefully they respond soon. This deal ends tomorrow.
Maybe I am not following you here.
Are you asking for Amazon or amazon prime expecting  free shipping coming from the states?
If the latter, no free shipping from the US.
Railton

No, not expecting free shipping. But when I log on to amazon.com, it doesn't show that I'm a member. So when I look at this product, it doesn't let me add it to my cart because it's member exclusive.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2021, 12:04:23 pm »
No, not expecting free shipping. But when I log on to amazon.com, it doesn't show that I'm a member. So when I look at this product, it doesn't let me add it to my cart because it's member exclusive.

Try logging into your CDN acct first, then open another page for the US site.

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2021, 12:19:20 pm »

Tried that already, didn't work. Just got off the phone with their help desk. Apparently, the membership doesn't cross domains.  ::) Not sure how it's working for you guys.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2021, 12:55:56 pm »

Tried that already, didn't work. Just got off the phone with their help desk. Apparently, the membership doesn't cross domains.  ::) Not sure how it's working for you guys.

Ah, think I get it now. There is a difference of being able to log in and seeing all your info and being able to take advantage of USA ONLY Prime deals. I could see the deal but didn't look any further. I also can't add it to my cart.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2021, 01:02:06 pm »

Ah, think I get it now. There is a difference of being able to log in and seeing all your info and being able to take advantage of USA ONLY Prime deals. I could see the deal but didn't look any further. I also can't add it to my cart.
So, I guess I have a US and a Canadian account because I can add it to my account.
I purchased the unit on my US account earlier in the year.
Railton

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2021, 01:03:37 pm »

Exactly, seems like a US Prime only deal. That's why I asked if Canadian Prime membership works.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2021, 11:43:00 pm »

Your Canadian log-in will work.

But your Canadian Prime membership does not carry over to the USA (and vice versa).  That is to say, your Prime Membership is not "international".
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2021, 08:24:25 am »
So my circa 2006 Chamberlain belt-drive garage door opener appears to have given up the ghost. It's been "behaving" weird at times over the last couple of months and now - nothing. Wife drove in yesterday, but that was it. Lights won't come on, no buzzing so it's not the capacitor. It all points to the circuit board, typical wear item on these due to the vibrations.

I have to uncouple the door and get the van out to try the good old 30sec unplugged reset, but I'm not holding my breath. Most circuit boards are around 100 USD on amazon.com, or 150 CDN on amazon.ca. Gears are the orginals, ditto the door sensors. Remote keypad has already been replaced.

A complete new system with the phone app is on sale at Home Depot at 259$ (B750C), so that pretty much erases the value of fixing my current one. Anyone here has this model?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2021, 08:31:22 am »
Intriguing option is their new wall-mount unit - attaches directly to the door's axle and pulley system, nothing overhead. Our garage is attached, with a bedroom above, so yes coming late we wake up our daughter. Expensive though - on sale at 550$ at CTC

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2021, 08:55:01 am »
Between the two is the newer-gen B1381C, supposedly quieter, with a stronger motor, LED lighting and battery backup. That last bit - read in a comment that the battery-compatible DC motor is slower than the commenter's older chain-drive unit. That's a concern with a very impatient wife.

On sale at 389$. Wall-mount probably out due to price and long-term parts availability.

Going to read up on these systems...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2021, 10:32:41 am »
Van is out of the garage, gave the Chamberlain a whack and it came back to life  ;D.

I was able to read the exact part number and my board is 108$ from Chamberlain, but you have to be a "partner" to order from them. Found another source at 125$ CDN with free shipping, beats the 185$ from amazon.

Will do a quick check of connections after work before buying anything.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2021, 07:55:09 pm »
Van is out of the garage, gave the Chamberlain a whack and it came back to life  ;D.

I was able to read the exact part number and my board is 108$ from Chamberlain, but you have to be a "partner" to order from them. Found another source at 125$ CDN with free shipping, beats the 185$ from amazon.

Undid all the connections, re-did them ... and it works fine now  :banghead:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #54 on: December 05, 2021, 07:52:42 am »

Whapping the side of it and then resetting the connections are usually the first steps in professional troubleshooting.  ;D
Mr Pickypants

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2022, 10:44:44 am »

Whapping the side of it and then resetting the connections are usually the first steps in professional troubleshooting.  ;D

It's on the fritz again. Three or four whaps with a floor mop brings it back to life, and when it works most of the times it goes into safety mode and requires one to hold the button for the door to close completely. So my options were:

1) buy a macro lens for my iPhone, inspect the welds, find the crack and repair - about $40 and an afternoon of my time

2) order a new circuit board - 125$ at a Canadian online retailer

3) buy a complete new kit - $279 - $900

Given the age of the overall components, we chose option 3. After looking at various promotions, I found out that different CTC stores had different prices on identical products, given that one or the other may "clear" certain products. So I found this kit on clearance for $389 at my local CTC, 1 box left, new and intact so not a return:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/chamberlain-secure-view-ultra-bright-smart-garage-opener/1001588567

msrp is in the $600's. That generation is not current anymore on Chamberlain's own website, but as the ex-top shelf model, it comes with lifetime warranty on motor and belt, plus some extras like a battery backup, garage camera and others. The camera I won't probably use as it requires a monthly app fee - we'll see - but all the myQ content is there, with phone alerts and door activation. Spring project, I'll wait for better weather to arrive. Keeping the floor mop close meanwhile.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2022, 11:18:58 am »
Installed the newest version of this today.

A whole 15 minutes of effort. The garage door sensor installs with Velcro! 2 screws for the hub. App perfectly walks you through the install.

This is an extremely polished product. And for $40 is a no brainer.

Very, very impressed.

Chamberlain MYQ-G0401 - Wireless Smart Garage Hub and Contro https://a.co/d/cDgI2kD

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2022, 10:44:02 am »
I have experience with the newest and older gen, they're decent devices for sure.

I don't love the noisy 30second warning.

I would probably upgrade to the belt drive system if the current opener broke, but my garage is only semi-attached, and to the living room (technically attached, but only exterior access and the wall between is insulated), so it's kinda nice to hear when the door opens/closes.

MaxForsyth

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2023, 05:50:24 pm »
I have a similar issue with my garage door. Once, it unexpectedly shut while I was driving into the garage, and this door almost hit my car. I guess it's a sign of change. I wonder what can you recommend to me?

Offline Bessogon

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Subaru Forester
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2023, 09:27:06 am »
I stumbled upon this thread while looking for some info myself. I've been facing similar issues with my garage door keypad, and it's quite frustrating. I've been considering upgrading to a MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage setup too. I've heard positive things about it, especially the convenience of controlling the garage door from your iPhone using the app.
However, before going ahead with the smart setup, I'm also exploring the option of giving my old garage doors a second life by getting them fixed. I came across one company that seems to offer reliable garage door repair services. You can check them out at https://fixgaragedoors.ca/service-areas/garage-door-repair-in-milton/