Author Topic: MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Setup  (Read 13466 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Setup
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2021, 12:05:02 pm »
Just an update on this topic - I ended up purchasing the updated/newer white bluetooth version of the  MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door system.
I ordered it through the US Amazon for ~$29 + shipping and handling and dollar conversion came to $51 CAD all in.
Currently on the Amazon Canada site they are ~$112 CAD with free shipping.
I haven't installed it yet but I was surprised how small the pieces were.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2021, 02:55:35 pm »
I installed the MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door system this afternoon - it took about 1/2 hour including getting my boots and coat on, finding the drill and up and down the ladder a few times. I was even descaling the espresso machine in the kitchen at the same time. ;D
Really well done app with little installation videos. With this installed I can have my Amazon Prime deliveries right to my garage.
Boss!
Railton

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2021, 03:10:21 pm »
Nice.  So when you get a delivery, you are notified through your phone and you open the garage door for the delivery person?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2021, 03:35:10 pm »
Nice.  So when you get a delivery, you are notified through your phone and you open the garage door for the delivery person?
I'm not sure exactly how it works having not used it for a delivery yet. There's another app called a "Key" app to install. The system sends you an alert when the door goes up and back back down.
There appears to be an option of garage delivery on check out as well.
I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Railton

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2021, 03:37:32 pm »
Oh, got it.  I was trying to figure out how the two connected.  Neat!

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2021, 12:32:01 am »
Nice setup, Railton!

Curious though - are you really comfortable letting the Amazon subcontracted delivery guy see the things you have in your garage? Personally I'd rather them leave my delivery on my porch than let peering eyes into my garage, which is effectively a part of the "inside" of my home.

Maybe I'm just too paranoid, though...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2021, 06:40:19 am »
Nice setup, Railton!

Curious though - are you really comfortable letting the Amazon subcontracted delivery guy see the things you have in your garage? Personally I'd rather them leave my delivery on my porch than let peering eyes into my garage, which is effectively a part of the "inside" of my home.

Probably too paranoid
99.99% of the drivers don’t give a :censor: what you would have in your garage
I work in a lot of different office some people are up tight about going in when they not there , but I couldn’t give a :censor: what in your office unless it those damn scented candles !

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2021, 08:11:27 am »
Nice setup, Railton!

Not really, I haven't the stable that you have at home, nor expensive tools.
I have not signed up for it yet. Maybe if we were back to being able to vacation again.
Railton

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2021, 09:31:32 am »
Nice setup, Railton!

I have not signed up for it yet. Maybe if we were back to being able to vacation again.
Railton
Or go to work  ;D

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2021, 07:31:57 pm »
Nice setup, Railton!

Railton

Honestly, it's also because the lock on the door that goes between the garage and the average house is the typical flimsy $25 Home Depot setup, and would make break-ins pretty easy. The cars in my garage stay locked, and there are no real tools or anything to steal, but the whole thing just makes me uneasy.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2021, 09:55:42 pm »
Nice setup, Railton!

Railton

Honestly, it's also because the lock on the door that goes between the garage and the average house is the typical flimsy $25 Home Depot setup, and would make break-ins pretty easy. The cars in my garage stay locked, and there are no real tools or anything to steal, but the whole thing just makes me uneasy.
So you think the Amazon guy is going to rob your house then steal your cars?

We all need a boogey-man I guess! LOL [emoji38]

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2021, 08:06:01 am »
Nice setup, Railton!

Railton

From what I've read Drivers only get temporary, one-time access to your garage on the delivery day after passing a multi-step authentication process. On the day your package is out for delivery, you’ll get a notification on the Key by Amazon app. The driver opens your garage with their Amazon scanner, drops off the package and closes the door before leaving. You’ll receive a final notification confirming that your package has been squared away. And, Amazon vets its drivers through a comprehensive background check.

It’s Amazon’s policy that the driver should not go more than five feet inside your garage. They should also place your packages out of your driving path, so you shouldn’t have any obstructions when you pull your car in. And they should always make sure that your garage door closes completely before leaving. Amazon monitors their drivers movements as well, so thy don't linger.
This process apparently adds a few days to your order. I assume it's because this service has to be an Amazon driver and not FedEx, UPS or other.

For extra protection, you can link a compatible camera that allows you to watch deliveries in real time so i just might do that.

Years ago when we first moved into our current house we were broken into. They only went as far as the garage and stole out mountain bikes. They accessed the gargle door opener on the sun visor in my Wife's old Escape as it was left unlocked. I still check my Wife's car and garage door before heading off to bed each night.
Turns out it was local teenagers who broke in and to other cars on our street that night.
Surprisingly, we got both the bikes back.
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=91258.msg1451997#msg1451997
Railton
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 08:08:26 am by Railton »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2021, 08:25:44 am »
Sounds like it would be a great job to scout people's garages and tell your car thief friends.  :rofl2:

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2021, 09:14:17 am »
Sounds like it would be a great job to scout people's garages and tell your car thief friends.  :rofl2:

Yeah, I'm with Hire on this one.  The Amazon dude may not be the one thieving, but he has eyeballs and a mouth, and may have unsavoury friends he can tip off for a cut or commission - not just on cars, but anything inside the garage.

I'm the person who cuts up the new TV shipping box into tiny pieces before putting it into the recycle bin, so that I'm not advertising my new purchase on garbage day. 

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2021, 09:49:38 am »

Yeah, I'm with Hire on this one.  The Amazon dude may not be the one thieving, but he has eyeballs and a mouth, and may have unsavoury friends he can tip off for a cut or commission - not just on cars, but anything inside the garage.

I'm the person who cuts up the new TV shipping box into tiny pieces before putting it into the recycle bin, so that I'm not advertising my new purchase on garbage day.
I guess with time we’ll see if the fears are warranted.
Railton

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2021, 08:09:57 am »
Just an update on this topic - I ended up purchasing the updated/newer white bluetooth version of the  MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door system.
I ordered it through the US Amazon for ~$29 + shipping and handling and dollar conversion came to $51 CAD all in.
Currently on the Amazon Canada site they are ~$112 CAD with free shipping.
I haven't installed it yet but I was surprised how small the pieces were.
Railton
Amazon.com (USSite) has these now on for $16.98 for 48 hrs.
Railton
https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Garage-Opener-Chamberlain-myQ-G0401/dp/B08GD3D9YJ/?tag=meastus-20

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2021, 10:22:27 am »
Railton, did you have any issues with this unit interfering with other wi-fi functions in your house?
Nope. It works well.
Railton

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2021, 10:40:12 am »
Does US prime require a separate membership? It says for prime members only but I am a member  ???

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2021, 10:42:06 am »
Does US prime require a separate membership? It says for prime members only but I am a member  ???
Nope, your Canadian membership works as well.
I've found that some products are much cheaper going through the US site even when you factor in shipping and the US dollar.
Railton

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2021, 11:07:14 am »
Nope, your Canadian membership works as well.
I've found that some products are much cheaper going through the US site even when you factor in shipping and the US dollar.
Railton

Weird. My membership is not showing up on amazon.com. I sent an email, hopefully they respond soon. This deal ends tomorrow.