Author Topic: MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Setup  (Read 13462 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Setup
« on: January 02, 2021, 09:07:03 am »
Hey there. My garage door keypad is wearing out I think. I've changed batteries in it but it is hit and miss. It takes half a dozen times to get it to open the door most times. Also, the numbers on the frequently used buttons are wearing off from use.
I could just replace it but, for about the same money I've been thinking about installing a MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage hub and iphone app instead.
Anyone here have any experience with one?
There seems to be a few different makes as well.
Railton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86WHwOXFm4&feature=youtu.be
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Door Setup
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 10:01:20 am »
Hey there. My garage door keypad is wearing out I think. I've changed batteries in it but it is hit and miss. It takes half a dozen times to get it to open the door most times. Also, the numbers on the frequently used buttons are wearing off from use.
I could just replace it but, for about the same money I've been thinking about installing a MyQ Chamberlain Smart Garage hub and iphone app instead.
Anyone here have any experience with one?
There seems to be a few different makes as well.
Railton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U86WHwOXFm4&feature=youtu.be
It would be cheap to just send your daughter to open and close the door  :rofl2:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 10:15:56 am »
I’d rather just hit a button or enter the code to open the door rather than fumble with my phone. But that’s just me.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2021, 10:35:44 am »
I’d rather just hit a button or enter the code to open the door rather than fumble with my phone. But that’s just me.
You don't need to fumble with anything.

Uses location services/geofence to open/close door automatically if you want.

Bro has one. Likes it. No problems and said install was easy.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 10:45:32 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +146/-241
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2021, 11:53:47 am »
Have it, love it.  If the garage door is open for more than 15 min I get a notification.  I can open and close it from anywhere.  I bought the operator not caring a whit about the feature, but now that I have it, I really like it.  The belt drive system is nice and for a consumer level product, it seems to be of high quality.  There are some nice features on the operator I have like a motion sensor that turns the lights on even if you don't activate the door - I like that too.  I have the B970C and would for sure buy again.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2021, 12:29:03 pm »
^^And the set up - how did that go? Seems to be all over the map when reading the reviews.
Yeah, I like the idea of being able to open and close the door from anywhere and the reminder feature. Mrs. Railton quite often forgets to close the door in the evenings. So much so that I have to check it each night before 'climbing the wooden trail'.
Railton

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2021, 01:54:31 pm »
Set up was actually very easy.  You connect the opener to your home wifi via the app and the that's about it.  Unlike many things, the instructions were actually pretty clear and worked.

Offline kings10

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +15/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2005 Lexus RX330, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Hyundai Sonata
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2021, 02:14:31 pm »
Set up was actually very easy.  You connect the opener to your home wifi via the app and the that's about it.  Unlike many things, the instructions were actually pretty clear and worked.

That was my experience also.  Quick and easy to set up the opener and app.  Don't have the keypad and hub though.

I suspect some of the setup problems might be caused by a weak wifi signal from the router being too far from the garage. 
"Failure is never quite so frightening as regret." - The Dish

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2021, 02:22:47 pm »
Is there a good option for an add on garage door monitor?

Our opener is a simple one and works fine, but would like to be able to check on my phone if the door is closed

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2021, 02:37:57 pm »
Is there a good option for an add on garage door monitor?

Our opener is a simple one and works fine, but would like to be able to check on my phone if the door is closed
The one being discussed is an add on.

There are many others, too. You can search Smart Garage Opener on Amazon.

Here's a few reviewed from Wirecutter.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-smart-garage-door-controller/amp/

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 02:50:26 pm »
Just a monitor is what I'm looking for. Don't really need the opener part, and it seems to add a hacking concern

https://www.mcafee.com/blogs/consumer/ces-2020-atr-iot-device-flaws/

Online Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1200
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 03:39:20 pm »
^^And the set up - how did that go? Seems to be all over the map when reading the reviews.
Yeah, I like the idea of being able to open and close the door from anywhere and the reminder feature. Mrs. Railton quite often forgets to close the door in the evenings. So much so that I have to check it each night before 'climbing the wooden trail'.
Railton

I have the MyQ app and it works very well. Easy to set up. I get notifications every time the door is opened; but you can customize notifications as you wish. I had it for years and never had any issue.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 04:11:45 pm »
You don't need to fumble with anything.

Uses location services/geofence to open/close door automatically if you want.

Bro has one. Likes it. No problems and said install was easy.

So if you have the geofence/location  set up it will open every time you approach it if phone is on you?  So if your in front yard or wherever close you’d have to have it disabled?  Then enable it when you want it activated again? 

Maybe I’m misunderstanding how this works. Having the ability to close it remotely would be handy though.

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 05:22:47 pm »
There is a way to geofence it, but I don't care much about that, so haven't bothered to figure it out.  I might look into it just for a project, lol...

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 10:59:20 pm »
I have the MyQ app, works great. I can open/close it from anywhere, which is a nice touch, and it lets me know if it's open for more than 15 minutes as well. The three cars in the garage all have little remotes inside them so I only really use the app sparingly, but it's nice to have.

I also have bought the optional accessory to open/close the door using Apple HomeKit, and allow for further automation, but unlike all my other HomeKit accessories, the darn thing has never worked.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 02:43:33 pm »
I replaced my outdoor keypad after 12 years as it was getting wonky. Oem Chamberlain is 47$ on amazon, may be cheaper in stores. The Ody has Homelink controls and that's what we use most.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2021, 03:24:54 pm »
I replaced my outdoor keypad after 12 years as it was getting wonky. Oem Chamberlain is 47$ on amazon, may be cheaper in stores. The Ody has Homelink controls and that's what we use most.

The facking guy installing my side-mount opener a few years ago said "Oh yeah, it'll work with your HomeLink, no problem! Any vehicle newer than 2015 will pair right up!"

... my newest car at the time was the '07 Aston.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 05:30:30 pm »

The facking guy installing my side-mount opener a few years ago said "Oh yeah, it'll work with your HomeLink, no problem! Any vehicle newer than 2015 will pair right up!"

The Ody is a 2012, and Homelink on the 2003 Ody before worked as well. Chamberlain kit is from 2006.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2021, 09:30:45 pm »

The Ody is a 2012, and Homelink on the 2003 Ody before worked as well. Chamberlain kit is from 2006.

Yeah, I'm referring to the new Chamberlain/LiftMaster system. It does not work with my '04 LS430/'07 Aston/'00 M5 etc.'s HomeLink setups.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 01:42:58 pm »

Yeah, I'm referring to the new Chamberlain/LiftMaster system. It does not work with my '04 LS430/'07 Aston/'00 M5 etc.'s HomeLink setups.

Progress: making working stuff that you own obsolete and non-op so you buy new stuff (see: IOS update, anything IT-related or connected)