Author Topic: Impact drill for seasonal changeover?  (Read 13269 times)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Re: Impact drill for seasonal changeover?
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2020, 04:53:09 pm »
In the olden, olden days some vehicles had lug nuts on one side of the vehicle that were left hand thread. We had a tire shop snap off a number of studs on a '50's grain truck we had before they figured that one out

Likely something Dent runs into occasionally

Military Jeeps and Chryslers I believe, probably more.
Mr Pickypants

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 05:20:59 pm »

I find that the "manual method" requires 2-3 re-torques for my cars, but my dad's 2006 RX seems to require mid-season re-torques (they loosen considerably after a few weeks).  I SUSPECT this is because the rims are 15 years old and my dad always went to a Green and Ross location that perhaps has less than a stellar record of wheels flying off - lately they've been way over-torquing wheels to avoid further fines and lawsuits.

???  Don't know why this is happening.     What torque values are you using?   What torque wrench?

Are they hubcentric rims?  Is there hub ring adapters involved?    Mating surfaces reasonably cleaned off?
He also had lugs fly off his girlfriend's buddy's car he did.

I'm starting to think maybe he shouldn't be doing this.

Have literally never, ever had a lug come loose.

Assuming Noto is not doing anything wrong, I just wanted to mention that all garages who use torque wrenches as opposed to air guns in the first place, generally require customers show up in a week for re-torquing.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +146/-241
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2020, 05:42:06 pm »
Yup, one re-torque is typical.  Then usually all good.  After a day of driving I just recheck them.  Very rarely find one not to spec.  I guess I never have wheel nuts on for much more than six months though as I do my winter tire change overs about every six to seven months.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2020, 03:43:24 pm »

I find that the "manual method" requires 2-3 re-torques for my cars, but my dad's 2006 RX seems to require mid-season re-torques (they loosen considerably after a few weeks).  I SUSPECT this is because the rims are 15 years old and my dad always went to a Green and Ross location that perhaps has less than a stellar record of wheels flying off - lately they've been way over-torquing wheels to avoid further fines and lawsuits.

???  Don't know why this is happening.     What torque values are you using?   What torque wrench?

Are they hubcentric rims?  Is there hub ring adapters involved?    Mating surfaces reasonably cleaned off?
He also had lugs fly off his girlfriend's buddy's car he did.

I'm starting to think maybe he shouldn't be doing this.

Have literally never, ever had a lug come loose.

Assuming Noto is not doing anything wrong, I just wanted to mention that all garages who use torque wrenches as opposed to air guns in the first place, generally require customers show up in a week for re-torquing.
Absolutely right.  It's happened often enough to me that a couple of my wheel bolts have loosened after a tire change and that's after everything being torqued to manufacturer specs.  It's such an easy thing to check but most people won't bother unfortunately. That's also why I put my track wheels on before the 138 km drive to Calabogie since it can be part of my checks before I go onto the track.  You absolutely should not re-torque them after being out on the track after a while since that's a surefire way of either stretching the threads or snapping them off entirely so this works perfectly for me. 

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2020, 04:35:09 pm »
I only Trust my twenty dollar powerfist torque wrench for this..

While I am inclined to believe it is accurate enough, I double check the TQ with my armometer  :P

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2020, 02:47:00 pm »
Ron, her wheel didn't "fly off" - I torqued to spec per the owner's manual for her old, old rusty car and chased her for weeks to let me retorque.  She was always busy and I even went to a yoga class (we were both members of the same gym at the time) so I could do it but she ran out of the class to meet her mother for lunch and it was on that drive home that the lugbolts came loose on one wheel -certainly didn't fly off.

And re my dad's car, when I say loose, I mean 1/8-1/4 turn.  Still far from "hand tight" or the like.

On my cars, I've never had any come loose at all - one retorque after driving down the street just to make sure the wheels are sitting right, and then it's done for the season.

I'vee never used aftermarket rims or nuts -all OEM.  My dad's are 15 years old, and I suspect that has something to do with it.

I'm also incredibly careful to ensure that anti seize does not get on the studs, only on the rim hub where there is sign of contact.

The only two cars I've ever had issues with were both 15+ years old with the same bits and pieces that came with the cars when new.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2020, 03:33:48 pm »
That is a lot of tools! I think I've restored cars with less. Jack, tire iron and a cheap wand type torque wrench is all you need. Everything else is gravy.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2020, 04:11:41 pm »
That is a lot of tools! I think I've restored cars with less. Jack, tire iron and a cheap wand type torque wrench is all you need. Everything else is gravy.

Let's not forget the torque sticks  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2020, 08:59:13 pm »
Wait, whats wrong with getting more tools?!?! This is a perfect excuse for the better half.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2020, 09:00:43 pm »
Wait, whats wrong with getting more tools?!?! This is a perfect excuse for the better half.

Ya, Dent!

Don't ruin it for Fob!!    :rofl: :rofl2:

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2020, 09:12:47 pm »
Lmao.....wife is getting me a Milwaukee 1/2 impact for Christmas

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk