Author Topic: Noto's first car purchase  (Read 36511 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Noto's first car purchase
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2020, 05:32:24 pm »
We have a single friend who owns a cottage and she's been using my wife and my household as her single "bubble" throughout the pandemic as permitted.  We're heading up tomorrow, the three of us, for NYE for a change of scenery (she has been going up herself every few weekends, but my wife's work doesn't let us work remotely from up there, though she now has a few days off).  Bringing everything with us and not going into any stores in town or en route.

The forecast suggests 10cm fell yesterday and another 10cm is expected tomorrow through midday.  We'll be heading up in the evening.   I'm sure major roads will be plowed, but the last ~2km just off the main road as we approach the destination may be... Ummm... Dicey.

I'm debating whether to take the Forester or the 3.  Basically, the only pros fit the Subaru are higher ground clearance and I suppose more legroom for our friend (not my concern :P).  The Mazda will otherwise be more comfortable, will use less fuel (and actually has better range than the Foz despite a 17L larger tank since the Foz never gets below 10L/100km highway and likely worse in snow), and generally would be my preference.

With 5.5" of clearance, an accumulation of >14cm would turn that fresh fascia into a plow and the poor undercarriage could make cringeworthy sounds.  We have no way of knowing the accumulation on the roads before we get there.  Fresh untouched pow also likely wouldn't be an issue so long as there aren't awful tire ruts...

This will either be a huge mistake or an amazing test for the be AWD system and Hakkapeliita tires.

Any thoughts?  Am I being utterly and completely reckless to try out the 3 for this trip?

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2020, 05:43:58 pm »
Take the Forester. Full time AWD and ground clearance for storms like these. Its what its made for.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2020, 05:44:59 pm »
aren't we all in a grey zone?
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2020, 05:51:59 pm »
We have a single friend who owns a cottage and she's been using my wife and my household as her single "bubble" throughout the pandemic as permitted.  We're heading up tomorrow, the three of us, for NYE for a change of scenery (she has been going up herself every few weekends, but my wife's work doesn't let us work remotely from up there, though she now has a few days off).  Bringing everything with us and not going into any stores in town or en route.

The forecast suggests 10cm fell yesterday and another 10cm is expected tomorrow through midday.  We'll be heading up in the evening.   I'm sure major roads will be plowed, but the last ~2km just off the main road as we approach the destination may be... Ummm... Dicey.

I'm debating whether to take the Forester or the 3.  Basically, the only pros fit the Subaru are higher ground clearance and I suppose more legroom for our friend (not my concern :P).  The Mazda will otherwise be more comfortable, will use less fuel (and actually has better range than the Foz despite a 17L larger tank since the Foz never gets below 10L/100km highway and likely worse in snow), and generally would be my preference.

With 5.5" of clearance, an accumulation of >14cm would turn that fresh fascia into a plow and the poor undercarriage could make cringeworthy sounds.  We have no way of knowing the accumulation on the roads before we get there.  Fresh untouched pow also likely wouldn't be an issue so long as there aren't awful tire ruts...

This will either be a huge mistake or an amazing test for the be AWD system and Hakkapeliita tires.

Any thoughts?  Am I being utterly and completely reckless to try out the 3 for this trip?

Why are you mixing households at all? The risk is small (grocery shopping et al regardless of bubble) but why take it?

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2020, 05:54:36 pm »
Take the car and do some drifting videos.  :P

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2020, 05:54:57 pm »
Take the 3, stretch its legs a little... it'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2020, 05:56:31 pm »
aren't we all in a grey zone?
I was quite specific in relation to this in my post.  First, no, not grey -provincial lockdown did away with the colour system temporarily.  Secondly, if you live alone you're allowed to join one other household and that's what our friend has done.  There is also no restriction on traveling to your secondary properties with a request that you do not go into stores in your secondary locale.  We're doing everything by the books and our poor friend otherwise has nobody - mental health is important as well during these times.  We'd be seeing her whether we're home or at her cottage since she otherwise lives in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment.

FWIW, the Forester's snow tires are Michelin Xi3 that are on their 4th season.  The Hakkapeliitas have less than 500km on them and  ought to be better than the Foz for the majority of the drive.

... The only concern is whether I'll get stuck on the last road approaching the cottage, but I suspecthope we won't have any issues.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2020, 06:39:00 pm »
Why are you mixing households at all? The risk is small (grocery shopping et al regardless of bubble) but why take it?

If you're otherwise being responsible the risk is mitigated significantly.

And as Noto mentioned, mental health is super important. Not everyone does well living on their own and not being able to see others.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2020, 06:40:45 pm »
As for your question, I think you should be fine if the accumulation is not super dense snow. I remember driving my GTI on my 3 km unplowed road numerous times and it was fine. With AWD and good winter tires you should be all set.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2020, 06:49:35 pm »
I'd take the 3 also.  When I had my Golf R it allowed snow on a number of occasions and never got stuck.  I'm sure your 3 has more ground clearance and good winter tires.  Plus if you get stuck it'll give you a reason to use the Mazda roadside assistance.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2020, 07:27:04 pm »
If it's really 20 cm, the 3 on its new Hakkas should be more than up to the task.

But what if that 20 cm actually turns into 30? And what if it's much deeper in dense drifts across the road? In that case, you'd be better off in the Forester. Well, you would be if it was on good tires... not so sure about four-year-old X-Ices.  :-\ :stick:

Anyway, I know how the decision would get made in my household: wife says take the Forester, because CUV. Duh!  ::)  And if I overrule and take the 3 because it's a perfectly logical choice? Not sure it's worth the risk of a major I told you so! in case it doesn't work out.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2020, 07:28:32 pm »
Take the Forester.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2020, 07:31:35 pm »
If it's really 20 cm, the 3 on its new Hakkas should be more than up to the task.

But what if that 20 cm actually turns into 30? And what if it's much deeper in dense drifts across the road? In that case, you'd be better off in the Forester. Well, you would be if it was on good tires... not so sure about four-year-old X-Ices.  :-\ :stick:

Anyway, I know how the decision would get made in my household: wife says take the Forester, because CUV. Duh!  ::)  And if I overrule and take the 3 because it's a perfectly logical choice? Not sure it's worth the risk of a major I told you so! in case it doesn't work out.
I would just get Helidriver to fly me in  ;D

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2020, 07:32:55 pm »
As noted it's a bit of a coin toss. Better tires on the 3 vs extra ground clearance on the Subaru. If you are suggesting that the final 2 km might be unplowed I'd go with the Forester. Otherwise, take the Mazda
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2020, 07:33:16 pm »

I would just get Helidriver to fly me in  ;D

If you're lucky, he'll let you use a parachute!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2020, 07:36:50 pm »
Here, HD, HD, HD!  where are you, HD, HD, HD?  Your services are required!!  ;D

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2020, 07:46:50 pm »
Here, HD, HD, HD!  where are you, HD, HD, HD?  Your services are required!!  ;D

I'd love to, but can't allow any strangers in my Covid bubble.  :'(  :rofl2:

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2020, 09:13:36 pm »
I can't believe no one has made an inappropriate comment about Noto taking off to a cottage with 2 women...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 09:29:49 pm by Scaerio »
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #118 on: December 29, 2020, 10:29:10 pm »
I can't believe no one has made an inappropriate comment about Noto taking off to a cottage with 2 women...

:winner: :cheers:
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #119 on: December 29, 2020, 10:36:18 pm »