Author Topic: Noto's first car purchase  (Read 36529 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Noto's first car purchase
« Reply #60 on: December 20, 2020, 08:20:04 am »
Filled up last night at Costco (91 octane; $1.129) when the low fuel indicator had come on.  Total was $45.45 for 40.25L.  Had 360km on the odometer, which works out to 40.25/360 = 11.1L/100km -spot on the vehicle's fuel economy estimate.  The distance to empty was the inaccurate bit, suggesting only 32km left in range, but I'd have had somewhere around 7.75L left in the tank, or 70km of range left.  360 + 70km = 430km range for mostly city driving.

If I am able to get around 8L/100km highway, then my range theoretically should be 600km, which is acceptable.

I'd still like a 60L tank, or even 55L, but I can't blame Mazda for keeping the weight down and packaging smaller.

As for CT gas, I do have the Triangle WE card, but CT was $1.049 for regular or $1.229 for 91.  Costco was a full $0.10/L cheaper last night in Guelph at least.  Costco isn't too far from my wife's work otherwise, and I've amassed a small fortune in CT $ for which I currently have no reasons to cash in.  That'll likely change when we move into the new house, however.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 08:26:02 am by Noto »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #61 on: December 20, 2020, 08:30:27 am »
The distance to empty was the inaccurate bit, suggesting only 32km left in range, but I'd have had somewhere around 7.75L left in the tank, or 70km of range left.  360 + 70km = 430km range for mostly city driving.

That's done on purpose, for a couple of reasons.  First, you want to have a bit of reserve in case you've badly misjudged and need a few extra kms to make it to a gas station.  Second, the fuel pump uses fuel to cool itself.  By running the tank dry, you'd be depriving the fuel pump of cooling, shortening its lifespan. 

I calculated that my Tundra has 44L of reserve out of its 144L fuel tank, really leaving only 100L of 'usuable' fuel.  At 14L/100kms highway, that's an additional 314kms that I can drive once my range hits 0.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2020, 08:36:01 am »
Well 600kms range for highway isn't anything to sneeze at, my VW GLI gets around 700kms range for highway, but it's a smaller engine, less power, and not AWD, so I think that's decent for your vehicle.

Something that always happens when I get down to 60kms of range is the vehicle asks if it can find the nearest gas station with the navigatiin.  Did your Mazda do the same thing?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 20, 2020, 09:14:29 am »
Well 600kms range for highway isn't anything to sneeze at, my VW GLI gets around 700kms range for highway, but it's a smaller engine, less power, and not AWD, so I think that's decent for your vehicle.

Something that always happens when I get down to 60kms of range is the vehicle asks if it can find the nearest gas station with the navigatiin.  Did your Mazda do the same thing?
If I use the built-in Navi, it would... Google Maps via CarPlay would not.

GBA, I was thinking that the range would be conservative and I'm fine with that and would never plan on running the tank dry - that's why I would want a longer range.  Even at 600km of range, I'd likely fill up every 450km or so (I never go below 1/4 tank on a highway jaunt and 1/2 tank in the winter for warmth reasons in case I get stuck - all as a general rule of thumb).  My issue isn't about the absolute max range; rather, it's how much usable range there ought to be.  If it's 500km of usable range, it's on the lower end of acceptable, but acceptable nonetheless.

I do also always carry two jugs of that "Spare Fuel" stuff in my trunk.  Been there for about 3 years at this point, thankfully never needed to use it, but always good to have in case of emergency.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 09:29:18 am by Noto »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #64 on: December 20, 2020, 09:57:57 am »
I do also always carry two jugs of that "Spare Fuel" stuff in my trunk.  Been there for about 3 years at this point, thankfully never needed to use it, but always good to have in case of emergency.

:rofl2: :rofl:
That is so funny
I did that in about 1991 when the gas gauge in my pick up died
in 47 years of driving only ran out of gas once , and I was 1/2 km to a gas station  :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2020, 10:28:22 am »
Costco 91 is fine...the quality of fuel is likely more important than the slight difference in octane (plus Costco gas is usually quite a bit cheaper)...Costco gas is Top Tier fuel and their 91 is ethanol free...i think Canadian Tire's Premium is the same (but Costco is likely cheaper), but if you're in a jam, CT will work too.

CT 91 is ethanol-free.  If you purchase it using a the black CT MasterCard, you get $0.07 back per litre, which probably eliminates the Costco price advantage.
yes, CT gas is ethanol free but it's not "Top Tier" rated so it doesn't have quite as many additives as some of the others...regarding pricing, it's hit miss around here...sometimes that 7 cent discount may make it comparable, but i've seen a gap of 20 cents/liter before...it really depends on the station and the time...if you have a Costco card and a location nearby that sells gas, i'd just use them...but i'd get CT gas as an alternative (certainly better than the no-name stations).
Honestly don't really think any of this matters.

Have never had a fuel related issue in a car before..even the ones with 400k+ kms I've owned.

Only issue I've ever had was not enough octane with 91 for the Supra.
prior to my Rio5, i never had a problem either...i'm guessing it has something to do with the DI engine, and my guess is most "regular" people wouldn't notice it...under load, with minimal throttle input, it pings with regular gas...it only does it a bit, as it will adjust the timing, but then you're losing power (and reducing fuel economy)...it doesn't do that with premium fuel...and as i've mentioned before, i didn't have the carbon issue until it was about 8 years old and had about 115,000 kms on it...my colleague's wife cars had that problem after 18 months (and maybe 20,000 kms)...quality fuel is likely more important on these engines than something like a Corolla...not sure i'd buy a DI engine again (if i can avoid it).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2020, 10:40:58 am »
Not a problem with a leased vehicle that's always under full manufacturer's warranty 😉

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2020, 01:20:41 pm »
Costco 91 is fine...the quality of fuel is likely more important than the slight difference in octane (plus Costco gas is usually quite a bit cheaper)...Costco gas is Top Tier fuel and their 91 is ethanol free...i think Canadian Tire's Premium is the same (but Costco is likely cheaper), but if you're in a jam, CT will work too.

CT 91 is ethanol-free.  If you purchase it using a the black CT MasterCard, you get $0.07 back per litre, which probably eliminates the Costco price advantage.

But then with a Costco CC you get 2 cents back and their mark-up for 91 is lower to begin with.  Although it used to be around 10 cents and now last time I went to Ancaster regular was 90 cents but premium 20 cents more  :-X
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2020, 02:34:13 pm »
It was 19 cents per litre yesterday at the Guelph Costco (93.9 for regular, 112.9 for premium).  *Checked math several times to ensure I wasn't making a fool of myself in front of all of my friends* :rofl2:

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2020, 03:10:33 pm »
It was 19 cents per litre yesterday at the Guelph Costco (93.9 for regular, 112.9 for premium).  *Checked math several times to ensure I wasn't making a fool of myself in front of all of my friends* :rofl2:
Here in Fredericton at the Coscto the upcharge for premium is usually only like 8 cents when compared to regular.  There is usually a bigger spread with other retailers.  I only ever get my fuel from Costco as it's by far the cheapest and best quality.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2020, 04:43:05 pm »
Here in Fredericton at the Coscto the upcharge for premium is usually only like 8 cents when compared to regular.  There is usually a bigger spread with other retailers.  I only ever get my fuel from Costco as it's by far the cheapest and best quality.

My car can run on either grade and for 10% markup I was happy to feed it the finest hay.  :P 20%? - tough times. I hope she will forgive me  :-[

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2020, 04:58:29 pm »
Not a problem with a leased vehicle that's always under full manufacturer's warranty 😉
carbon clean up isn't covered under warranty...that's a maintenance item...and the dealer charges about $450 to do it...it's another reason i use quality fuels...it takes MUCH longer for it to be needed.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2020, 05:00:57 pm »
the price difference between reg and premium varies...it used to be 12c, but lately it's usually in the 16-20c range...as i said though, it's still usually a better price than anywhere else in the city, especially if the gas prices just went up (Costco is last to raise it).

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2020, 06:14:19 pm »
carbon clean up isn't covered under warranty...that's a maintenance item...and the dealer charges about $450 to do it...it's another reason i use quality fuels...it takes MUCH longer for it to be needed.

I'm thinking A) carbon shouldn't be an issue in the first 80K  B) nobdody is opening the engine on a lease return to check for carbon  C) NOTO won't give a :censor: when he hand back the keys.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2020, 06:39:21 pm »
Not a problem with a leased vehicle that's always under full manufacturer's warranty [emoji6]

I'm thinking A) carbon shouldn't be an issue in the first 80K unless it's a FGC  B) nobdody is opening the engine on a lease return to check for carbon  C) NOTO won't give a :censor: when he hand back the keys.

Fixed! LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 20, 2020, 06:40:23 pm »
I'm thinking ... NOTO won't give a :censor: when he hand back the keys.
:iagree:

... Hence the idea of leasing!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 20, 2020, 06:57:03 pm »

I'm thinking A) carbon shouldn't be an issue in the first 80K  B) nobdody is opening the engine on a lease return to check for carbon  C) NOTO won't give a :censor: when he hand back the keys.
it shouldn't be, but my colleague's wife's car had it in less than 2 years (which i attribute mostly to cheap gas)...but, it's one reason why i'll try to avoid a DI engine next time around (unless it's a D4S system like Toyota uses).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2020, 11:17:52 pm »
speaking of ethanol...

https://www.driving.ca/column/troubleshooter/troubleshooter-get-ready-because-higher-ethanol-gas-is-coming

That is just weird. They are saying it  is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions but at the same time you'd get 4-5% worse mileage on E15 compared to pure gasoline. Looks like the agricultural lobby has had some say in this. GMO corn is everywhere in ON.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 21, 2020, 01:26:03 am »
speaking of ethanol...

https://www.driving.ca/column/troubleshooter/troubleshooter-get-ready-because-higher-ethanol-gas-is-coming

That is just weird. They are saying it  is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions but at the same time you'd get 4-5% worse mileage on E15 compared to pure gasoline. Looks like the agricultural lobby has had some say in this. GMO corn is everywhere in ON.
yea...it's a scam...you'll burn more of it, offsetting any "gasoline" you aren't burning, plus all the production involved in making it in the first place...i wouldn't be surprised if it's actually WORSE for GHG emissions.