Author Topic: Noto's first car purchase  (Read 36526 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Noto's first car purchase
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2020, 12:27:49 pm »
Great choice!

Haven't seen you around for a while, did you take 2020 off to not deal with the BS on here?

And what's all this frugality, you're a lawyer FFS!  ;D

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2020, 12:50:25 pm »
Congratulations! Nice that you opted for the turbo engine.  :thumbup:

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2020, 01:03:53 pm »
Very nice!  Congratulations

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2020, 01:09:21 pm »
Congrats buddy!! Looks great and I think it was a great choice for you and your current needs.

I've always had a soft spot for Mazda's as well, owned 2 of them over the years & Bella's son has a 2010 Mazda 3 that we bought off Oliver's brother & it's been the perfect first car for a 17yr old.

Now when are you coming up to Ottawa so we can go for a pint or 2 with Tortoise & Chaos?
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2020, 02:48:48 pm »
My take on the car:
https://doubleclutch.ca/2020/11/20/first-drive-2021-mazda3-turbo/
From my 18 hrs of ownership, I can handily say that your review is spot-on.  Great read - thanks!

Just drove to my RMT appointment and holy :censor:, I love this thing more and more every time I drive it.  So sedate, but someone about to cut you off?  Punch it and they're a distant sight while you get down from speeding.

And the heads up display showing speed limits means I rarely look down at all.  I just love it so much!!

Great choice!

Haven't seen you around for a while, did you take 2020 off to not deal with the BS on here?

And what's all this frugality, you're a lawyer FFS!  ;D
Bought a new house, so the $ has to be considered, but honestly, I see no reason to spend more than this.  It's spectacular and meets literally all of my needs except for a ventilated seat.

Congratulations! Nice that you opted for the turbo engine.  :thumbup:
Wasn't a consideration without it!!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2020, 02:57:20 pm »
Can you really say it's yours, if you leased it?  More like a long term rental, no?

:stick: :P ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2020, 04:45:12 pm »
Fine by me -someone else's problem in 2-3 years  ;D

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2020, 04:58:07 pm »
The Doubleclutch review makes a valid point: this car seems to compete well with compact offerings from Luxury brands, with likely easier long-term maintenance. The torque figure is especially compelling.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2020, 06:25:15 pm »
Don't get me wrong -the power and torque are awesome... But what I'm really digging about this car is the luxurious interior with all the bells and whistles that a red 2017 Prius Prime has (with a few exceptions), a super smooth driving experience, and yeah, the passing power I want (but don't specifically need).  I looked at the A3 and I honestly don't see any benefit to the Audi over this... Literally none -not that the Mazda is large, but the A3 is even more tight and the MB A220's interior is a massive step behind this.

I drove my uncle's 2017 IS300AWD and i didn't find it to be any more luxurious than the Mazda -and his was nearly twice the price.  He agreed and said he'd go for the Mazda before the Lexus now (the IS is larger, but he doesn't need the space specifically)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2020, 07:30:43 pm »

that a red 2017 Prius Prime has

I'm guessing that's directed at me?

As much as I want to reply, I won't since this is your thread.

Congrats and enjoy the new car.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 08:16:47 pm »
Congrats on your first car purchase.  Sounds like it is a great fit for your needs.  I think Mazda makes the closest to luxury interior you can get in a mainstream car maker.  Quick question, if Mazda had offered this model with a manual would you still have bought the automatic?  Reason I ask is the lack of a manual makes this less appealing to me personally.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2020, 08:48:15 pm »
While I like manuals, I'd never buy one based on my wife not willing to learn and my lack of desire to row my own in traffic.

Yes, Ron, definitely aimed at you!  Crazy good mileage!!

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2020, 01:26:16 am »
Very nice!  Congrats and zoom zoom!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12404
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2020, 07:26:00 am »
Very slick - congrats!
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2020, 10:00:34 am »
1 week (ok, 9 days) update:

Still absolutely LOVING the car.

.. But after 352km on the odometer (first 100 or so was highway back to Guelph, the rest all in the city), the trip computer suggests 11.1L/100km average (very not bad considering I'm enjoying the power), but the amount of gas i have left and the estimated distance to empty is suggestive of a ~400km/tank range, which is really crappy.

I'm sure on the highway it would be better, but my trip to visit Gurgie and tortoise some day soon may require a fill up (or two) en route, which my 2010 didn't require (always about 600+km/tank).  More power + smaller fuel tank = unsurprised of a shortER range, but not happy about how much shorter.

Otherwise, zero complaints whatsoever.

upload image
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 10:02:08 am by Noto »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2020, 10:29:02 am »

Any comments on the AWD system?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2020, 10:39:04 am »
That's interesting, I'm sure my GTi averages in the 7's.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2020, 11:42:57 am »

Still absolutely LOVING the car.

.. But after 352km on the odometer (first 100 or so was highway back to Guelph, the rest all in the city), the trip computer suggests 11.1L/100km average (very not bad considering I'm enjoying the power), but the amount of gas i have left and the estimated distance to empty is suggestive of a ~400km/tank range, which is really crappy.

I'm sure on the highway it would be better, but my trip to visit Gurgie and tortoise some day soon may require a fill up (or two) en route, which my 2010 didn't require (always about 600+km/tank).  More power + smaller fuel tank = unsurprised of a shortER range, but not happy about how much shorter.

Otherwise, zero complaints whatsoever.

upload image
it's new, so it might settle down a bit when it's broken in...also, it's cold out and stations are likely using their winter blends, which will reduce fuel economy...lastly, i would suggest premium fuel with no ethanol (Shell 91 for example, but see here for other stations: https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ON) ...every little bit will help.

all that being said, if you are enjoying the power, it will drink fuel...it's a marketing line that small turbo engines are very fuel efficient...they are ONLY fuel efficient when driving 80 km/hr, on flat ground, no wind, cruise control on...in that case, yes, they use minimal fuel...if you are requesting 250 HP, you'll use 250 HP worth of fuel whether it's a 2.5T or a 3.5 V6...FWIW, our Sorento is around 11 as well in mostly city driving, so don't expect numbers in the 7s like your last car had.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2020, 12:19:17 pm »
Any comments on the AWD system?
I did drive it on two snowy days.  One was very cold with only about 2cm down, and I didn't notice the AWD system whatsoever (a compliment!!) and there was no sliding except around a traffic circle where the car understeered until I let off the gas and everything was fine.  It was the night where Guelph Police responded to 13 accidents including one Dodge Journey flipped on its side on Woodlawn Rd:
https://globalnews.ca/news/7523226/guelph-police-icy-roads-crashes/amp/

The other day, with about 3cm down, I again had absolutely no slippage (or if there was any, it was 100% imperceptible to me).

The Hakkapeliita tires are pretty impressive even on dry ground so long as you're not looking for hardcore handling, but they're pretty quiet and comfortable.

Really, really happy with the AWD system thus far.  It's actually less "intrusive" than the Forester, but that may just be sound deadening in the Mazda and the Subaru will flash its TCS light when slippage is detected.  Haven't seen any such light in the Mazda and perhaps the TCS just works in the background, but I've not felt any loss of power when driving through slippery stuff.

Mazda of Toronto asserted that the first tank was filled with "premium" but I don't know if it was 93 or had ethanol.

Costco gas is great in our Forester with premium being cheap and no ethanol, but it's only 91.  When cold out, the difference between 91 and 93 is likely tiny, and the power curve of this engine really suggests that the power boost with 93 only exists above 4,000rpm, which I rarely venture into.

The low fuel light came on so I'll probably fill with Costco gas tonight (91 octave, but good enough).

What I find really interesting about Mazda's take on this Turbo was to avoid the false fuel claims by adding the intercooler before the EGR to avoid knock at high load.  Whereas others run a rich burn (throw in more fuel) solely to cool down the combustion to allow for higher compression without knock, Mazda uses the intercooler to avoid running rich and thereby reduces fuel usage/the downside of small displacement turbos.

See the below video at 5:49
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hGThKKxNSko

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2020, 01:23:21 pm »
only exists above 4,000rpm, which I rarely venture into.

So sad...  :'(

And higher octane doesn't really give you a power boost anyways.

I'm happy that you're happy with the car, seem like a good fit.  :)