Author Topic: Noto's first car purchase  (Read 36488 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Noto's first car purchase
« Reply #120 on: December 29, 2020, 10:37:44 pm »
I can't believe no one has made an inappropriate comment about Noto taking off to a cottage with 2 women...
That's only because we think he can't close the deal...so it's not worth talking about. :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2020, 10:39:32 pm »
 :popcorn:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2020, 11:54:00 pm »
I did close the deal with one of them.  Number two requires the consent of number one  :-*

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2020, 12:49:42 am »
I can't believe no one has made an inappropriate comment about Noto taking off to a cottage with 2 women...

I'm just waiting on the thread about pros/cons of each one, all dependent on their respective choices in winter coats, blow dryers, gardening gloves or something.
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #124 on: December 30, 2020, 01:40:28 am »
I did close the deal with one of them.  Number two requires the consent of number one  :-*
Is #2 worth the effort even? That's my first question... if she is, then perhaps enough booze can throw away some inhibitions... :rofl: :run:

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2020, 07:20:04 am »
aren't we all in a grey zone?
I was quite specific in relation to this in my post.  First, no, not grey -provincial lockdown did away with the colour system temporarily.  Secondly, if you live alone you're allowed to join one other household and that's what our friend has done.  There is also no restriction on traveling to your secondary properties with a request that you do not go into stores in your secondary locale.  We're doing everything by the books and our poor friend otherwise has nobody - mental health is important as well during these times.  We'd be seeing her whether we're home or at her cottage since she otherwise lives in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment.

FWIW, the Forester's snow tires are Michelin Xi3 that are on their 4th season.  The Hakkapeliitas have less than 500km on them and  ought to be better than the Foz for the majority of the drive.

... The only concern is whether I'll get stuck on the last road approaching the cottage, but I suspecthope we won't have any issues.

Cheers to you helping out your friend.  I was in the same boat in the spring, when the rules were far more stringent, and I really felt the effects of isolation at home.

I'd be inclined to take the Foz, just to protect the newness of the 3.  How far is the cottage?

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2020, 08:30:30 am »
Take the 3 - bring a SHOVEL...Cdn tire has some nice compact units...bring two so the girls can help if needed.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 30, 2020, 09:18:49 am »
Brig, the newness of the Mazda is less relevant given that it's a lease 😉.

The weather this morning has been more :censor: than expected so I may delay departure until tomorrow.  The drive is 3 hrs in normal weather.  Current estimate per Google Maps is seemingly unaffected, however.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2020, 09:49:51 am »
Having been on the hwy at 630AM today I'd say that is a smart move. While the 401 was ok if you didn't want that 3rd lane some of the back roads were still quite slick. Add in theh risk of freezing rain coming across the drive could be not much fun.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2020, 10:23:02 am »
If the 3 wasn't a lease I'd say take the Forester.

But since it is, take it offroading.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 30, 2020, 10:29:59 pm »
The first 2 hrs of the drive were uneventful - no precipitation for the first bit, then only rain.  The last half hour had heavy snowfall with limited visibility (had to turn off the auto HighBeam control as it made it impossible to see with the large flakes flying sideways towards us).  Must also have had ice underneath the snow as vehicles all started to get squirrelly above 70km/h.  I can only compare to the vehicles in front (Ford Explorer) and behind (Mercedes GLA) and the Mazda seemed to be on par.  Nobody passed us.

Off the highway, the roads were entirely not plowed and 20cm fell.  Never got stuck or struggled with braking or felt traction control do anything, but I'd say stability was not my favourite - likely the torsion beam rear at play.  Just a bit of squirm here and there.

Any way, I can say only amazing things about Mazda's AWD - I'd say it's actually less noticeable than the Subaru's as it was less invasive (you can feel the Subaru shuffling power, but you don't in the Mazda)!  No issues with ground clearance.  Hakkapeliitas seem pretty good and quiet.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 10:55:18 am by Noto »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 02, 2021, 12:52:01 pm »
Must also have had ice underneath the snow as vehicles all started to get squirrelly above 70km/h.  I can only compare to the vehicles in front (Ford Explorer) and behind (Mercedes GLA) and the Mazda seemed to be on par.  Nobody passed us.

My Fusion behaves the same way sometimes.  About 2 years ago I think it was, we went to my BIL's for Christmas so we met my in-laws about 10 miles up the road and I drove them in their Buick Encore, all seasons, FWD only (he didn't see a need for AWD - just more money, or winter tires, they rarely go anywhere now anyways) because the roads were super slick.  Being in their 80's, it's just better if I drive. 

My kid was behind in the Fusion, on winter tires, w/AWD.  I was going close to 100 kmh the whole way, not less than 90, and didn't notice a damn thing.  I even passed a Grand Cherokee who was doing 70-80 kmh.  We got there about 5-10 minutes ahead, and my kid's like "why were you driving so fast! It was terrible out there! The car was wiggling, the Jeep was wiggling...are you trying to kill (everyone apparently)?!"  I'm like (firstly, fack off) "what are you talking about...it wasn't anywhere near as slippery as it looked.  Didn't notice a thing. Was like driving on dry pavement." (secondly...fack off)

In the Fusion I usually just set the cruise and go...snow covered roads be damned.  Funny thing is, I seem to recall being able to or being more comfortable at speed in my old Taurus on snow than with the AWD car.  Maybe because there was no power to the back wheels so nothing back there could push the car around funny.  Def love the AWD for taking off though...maybe one day I'll drive it in the snow again.
Maybe one day I"ll drive it again.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2021, 08:15:56 am »
The first 2 hrs of the drive were uneventful - no precipitation for the first bit, then only rain.  The last half hour had heavy snowfall with limited visibility (had to turn off the auto HighBeam control as it made it impossible to see with the large flakes flying sideways towards us).  Must also have had ice underneath the snow as vehicles all started to get squirrelly above 70km/h.  I can only compare to the vehicles in front (Ford Explorer) and behind (Mercedes GLA) and the Mazda seemed to be on par.  Nobody passed us.

Off the highway, the roads were entirely not plowed and 20cm fell.  Never got stuck or struggled with braking or felt traction control do anything, but I'd say stability was not my favourite - likely the torsion beam rear at play.  Just a bit of squirm here and there.

Any way, I can say only amazing things about Mazda's AWD - I'd say it's actually less noticeable than the Subaru's as it was less invasive (you can feel the Subaru shuffling power, but you don't in the Mazda)!  No issues with ground clearance.  Hakkapeliitas seem pretty good and quiet.

I'm in a CX-5 2.5t for the Holiday break, and I must say the awd is very efficient with zero delay (or slipping) felt. You can even kick the tail out if you want to - the CX-3 would call its Mom when I attempted that. I'm also locked in the 13's so frugal this engine it is not, as the green guy would say.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2021, 11:08:26 am »
Around town i get between 9-11L/100km depending on how much fun I'm having peeling away from stop lights and how short the drive is (if doing a short drive on a cold engine, I've seen in the 13's, but we're talking <4km).  Highway was pretty decent - ~7.5L/100km with the adaptive cruise set to 120km/h.

My current lifetime average is 8.8L/100km with just under 1,500km on the odometer.  900km of that is highway and the rest pure city with ample idling.  City range is indeed closer to 400-450km, but highway is a more respectable ~600km.

I'd actually say the powertrain is pretty frugal given its power and AWD, but it's certainly no hybrid.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2021, 11:28:53 am »
That's not too bad overall for an engine & drivetrain that hasn't been broken in yet... and on top of that it's winter fuel & winter tires... come summer months you should be able to do a bit better I'd be thinking.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2021, 12:36:54 pm »
I was thinking that same thing. Maybe even as much as 1L/100 km better.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2021, 12:41:08 pm »
I can see ~ 1L difference between summer and winter and woudl account most of that to just the winter fuel. I've driven on my winter tires in October before winter fuel is available and they don't make a noticable differnce. I'd say the wind makes the biggest difference on my hwy travels.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2021, 03:11:26 pm »
Thus far I've only filled with Costco 91 (no ethanol) or Mobil 93 (has ethanol).  The engine seems to like the vii 91 the best, but I honestly haven't noticed any discernable difference between them.  I'm not sure what the first tank had since it was filled by the dealership, but they said it was "premium".

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2021, 08:41:54 pm »
I can see ~ 1L difference between summer and winter and woudl account most of that to just the winter fuel. I've driven on my winter tires in October before winter fuel is available and they don't make a noticable differnce. I'd say the wind makes the biggest difference on my hwy travels.

Without a doubt; wind creates load and load determines mpg over such elements as octane and road conditions sans heavy snow.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 15, 2021, 06:40:14 pm »
A few days late, but Dec 10 marked the 1-year anniversary with my 2021 Mazda 3 GT Turbo AWD.

Zero unscheduled maintenance (in fact, only one scheduled maintenance at $59, though I'm up for my next one in Jan).

14,125km at present (20,000km/year lease).  Thanks, COVID, for reducing my annual driving distance!

I'm still absolutely in love with the car.  It's quick, but far from "fast" - I'd say it's the perfect amount of power without being too much excess (that's what FIL's Trofeo is for  :rofl: ). Fuel economy remains outstanding!!

Only ever use 91 octane or higher.

The headlights are great and a standout feature to me.  I also find the car to be the perfect size.  Winter driving is great still with the Hakkapeliita R3s.

I got the Ottocast wireless CarPlay adapter and it's been flawless.  Absolutely love it!  Huge benefit to me.

Still wishing it had ventilated seats for the summer, but otherwise there are no features I find missing.  The black piano plastic in the interior is a massive misstep that Mazda continues repeating.  It's just ridiculous how easy it is to unintentionally scratch it.  Benefit of leasing at least - not my problem for the better part of a decade 😉

Build quality is great, but when it's very cold over bigger bumps there can be a rattle in the moonroof somewhere, but it's very minor - nothing like I had in that 2010 Corolla!  The dash itself and doors are solid.

I'd get another one in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2021, 09:14:07 am by Noto »