Author Topic: Mustang Mach-E  (Read 60371 times)

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1196
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
Re: Mustang Mach-E
« Reply #280 on: August 25, 2022, 07:53:46 pm »
To each his own I guess, for me silence is king.

Ton of torque, cost nothing to run and now worth more than I paid 14 months ago. There’s something to like..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 07:56:33 pm by Guy »

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7208
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 25, 2022, 08:47:41 pm »
An electric would have been our first choice, just nothing available at a reasonable price. I've had an e-bike and a e-skateboard for years now, the torque of an electric car is something I look forward too, never mind freedom from the price of gas

Sure I loved the engine sounds of my v-twin bikes, but do regular 4 cyl or V6 cars sound great? Not really

A zillion times better than an EV!!   ;D
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 25, 2022, 08:52:05 pm »
To each his own I guess, for me silence is king.

Ton of torque, cost nothing to run and now worth more than I paid 14 months ago. There’s something to like..

Yea, but that's not because it's an EV, that's because the market is mental.

My Porsche is worth more than I paid for it..as a matter of fact, every car we've bought in the last couple of years is worth more...even the Acura CSX!   ;D 

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #283 on: August 25, 2022, 09:02:02 pm »
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone wants to buy an electric car  ::)

Yea, I hear ya.

Now I DO drive the Prius almost entirely in EV mode day to day.  For my boring daily commute.  Which, I think, is fine for most people.  So I get (I think?) why they like EVs.

But as an enthusiast?  I want something that goes VROOOOOMMMM when it's a nice day or the weekend.  Or going for a spirited drive!  I need the auditory stimulation than no EV can provide...EVER.  There is a sense of "occasion" when driving something with a melodic engine note! At least for me.

I do like the KIA EV6 GT and of course a Taycan.

But not enough to live without an ICE at this point.
I hear ya! There’s just something about firing up an engine that makes me smile, doesn’t matter what engine it is. Heck, my old single cylinder farm tractor has a satisfactory sound and feel.

I’d buy another Chevy volt in a heartbeat. I used that car exclusively on electric for all my in town duties. I also liked the silence and torque. My enthusiast vehicle however would definitely not be an EV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 25, 2022, 09:26:14 pm »
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone wants to buy an electric car  ::)

Yea, I hear ya.

Now I DO drive the Prius almost entirely in EV mode day to day.  For my boring daily commute.  Which, I think, is fine for most people.  So I get (I think?) why they like EVs.

But as an enthusiast?  I want something that goes VROOOOOMMMM when it's a nice day or the weekend.  Or going for a spirited drive!  I need the auditory stimulation than no EV can provide...EVER.  There is a sense of "occasion" when driving something with a melodic engine note! At least for me.

I hear ya! There’s just something about firing up an engine that makes me smile, doesn’t matter what engine it is. Heck, my old single cylinder farm tractor has a satisfactory sound and feel.

I’d buy another Chevy volt in a heartbeat. I used that car exclusively on electric for all my in town duties. I also liked the silence and torque. My enthusiast vehicle however would definitely not be an EV.

Just went and checked to satisfy my curiosity.  All 3 of these, Prime, Mach-E and Volt are ~67 dB on the highway.  More surprised at Prime and Volt, since they are "old" cars.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #285 on: August 25, 2022, 10:13:15 pm »

Yea, I hear ya.

Just went and checked to satisfy my curiosity.  All 3 of these, Prime, Mach-E and Volt are ~67 dB on the highway.  More surprised at Prime and Volt, since they are "old" cars.
The Volt was very silent and very solid. Felt like a much more expensive car in the way it drove.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 26, 2022, 06:49:45 am »
Now you know why I still love :inlove: my Volt, despite her little flaws ...
Volt #4 odo now 164,000 km
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #287 on: August 26, 2022, 08:26:34 am »
Having driven most plug-ins on the market, highway noise is mostly a factor of tire design and soundproofing. With ICE, unless gearing is very wrong or you're in a Mitsubishi Mirage, often you won't hear the drivetrain. So EV's appear noisier at speed in contrast to their lower-speed silence. Below 40 km/h, electrics offer a silence no ICE can approach, but once up to speed, air and tire roar factor in and you go from zero noise to 67 dba, making EV's appear noisier than ICE. With the latter, drivetrain noise is prevalent from idle to city speeds, and at speed mechanical noises are replaced by road noise, so less contrast.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: August 28, 2022, 10:11:07 pm »
Having driven most plug-ins on the market, highway noise is mostly a factor of tire design and soundproofing. With ICE, unless gearing is very wrong or you're in a Mitsubishi Mirage, often you won't hear the drivetrain. So EV's appear noisier at speed in contrast to their lower-speed silence. Below 40 km/h, electrics offer a silence no ICE can approach, but once up to speed, air and tire roar factor in and you go from zero noise to 67 dba, making EV's appear noisier than ICE. With the latter, drivetrain noise is prevalent from idle to city speeds, and at speed mechanical noises are replaced by road noise, so less contrast.
Noticed this in the Kona EV but my Lightning is whisper quiet at speed - sound insulation makes a huge difference, but that’s applicable to ICE cars as well.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1196
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #289 on: December 27, 2022, 06:00:05 pm »
Repentigny, a Montreal suburb is using a Mach-E as patrol car. They seemed quite please with it so far. They first used it one shift out of two, then two out of 3 and now they will put it on all 3 shifts. Recharging during lunch time and between shifts, as well as during paperwork at the station is more than enough it seem. They never went below 48% battery remaining. They use the big screen for their « police » applications, so no need to squeeze a laptop between the 2 front seats.

http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/129ab7ff-2737-4e93-b0dc-68d657bcef12__7C___0.html?utm_content=ulink&utm_source=lpp&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=internal+share

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #290 on: January 05, 2023, 08:25:00 am »
Wow!  That's really neat.  I was having a discussion with a cop buddy of mine just recently and he was adamant you couldn't do an EV for police work because there'd never be enough downtime to charge it properly.  Very interesting.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #291 on: January 05, 2023, 08:33:21 am »
I think there are a few jurisdiction in the US that use the odd Tesla.