Author Topic: Mustang Mach-E  (Read 60380 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
Re: Mustang Mach-E
« Reply #260 on: June 16, 2022, 12:18:02 pm »
No wonder why OEMs are crying for more EV tax breaks/credits....

They are losing (lots) of money on every one they sell...

https://jalopnik.com/fords-cost-to-build-the-mach-e-increased-25-000-per-ca-1849065867

Ford seems to be having a lot of issues lately. I thought it was odd that Ford made money mostly from it's Rivan stake. All I hear about Rivan is that it is failing, this would make me think otherwise.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #261 on: June 16, 2022, 12:36:22 pm »
Ford Halts Mustang Mach-E Deliveries

https://insideevs.com/news/592075/ford-mustang-mache-safety-recall-stop-sale/

As reported by Mach-E Forum.com, Ford has recognized a problem with the Mustang Mach-E that warrants a safety recall. However, there is reportedly no current fix available. The forum points to a lack of parts for the fix, though Ford also mentions upcoming software and repaid instructions. In the meantime, Ford has issued a stop-sale of related vehicles.

FORD Official take, "Here are the main details in the recall notice we filed with NHTSA, which should be on their website. Please note it is not a stop sale. Dealer can still sell. They just can’t deliver the vehicle. No different than any other safety recall notice. It is a delivery hold.

On affected vehicles, Direct Current (“DC”) fast charging and repeated wide open pedal events can cause the high voltage battery main contactors to overheat. Overheating may lead to arcing and deformation of the electrical contact surfaces, which can result in a contactor that remains open or a contactor that welds closed. An overheated contactor that opens while driving can result in a loss of motive power, which can increase the risk of an accident.

The remedy for this program is a Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module (SOBDMC) and Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) software update. Ford is anticipated to begin Over-The-Air (OTA) deployment to update the SOBDMC an BECM software for affected vehicles next month. Alternatively, owners will have the option to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to complete the software update.

There are no open investigations with NHTSA.

This action affects 48,924 vehicles in the U.S."

Imagine making a vehicle you can't fix.  ::)

Where in the PR does it say Ford can NOT fix this?  ???

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7208
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 16, 2022, 02:37:56 pm »

As reported by Mach-E Forum.com, Ford has recognized a problem with the Mustang Mach-E that warrants a safety recall. However, there is reportedly no current fix available. The forum points to a lack of parts for the fix, though Ford also mentions upcoming software and repaid instructions. In the meantime, Ford has issued a stop-sale of related vehicles.

FORD Official take, "Here are the main details in the recall notice we filed with NHTSA, which should be on their website. Please note it is not a stop sale. Dealer can still sell. They just can’t deliver the vehicle. No different than any other safety recall notice. It is a delivery hold.

On affected vehicles, Direct Current (“DC”) fast charging and repeated wide open pedal events can cause the high voltage battery main contactors to overheat. Overheating may lead to arcing and deformation of the electrical contact surfaces, which can result in a contactor that remains open or a contactor that welds closed. An overheated contactor that opens while driving can result in a loss of motive power, which can increase the risk of an accident.

The remedy for this program is a Secondary On-Board Diagnostic Control Module (SOBDMC) and Battery Energy Control Module (BECM) software update. Ford is anticipated to begin Over-The-Air (OTA) deployment to update the SOBDMC an BECM software for affected vehicles next month. Alternatively, owners will have the option to take their vehicle to a Ford or Lincoln dealer to complete the software update.

They currently have no parts to fix it. Which is also why they can't build new ones.

Which means they can't fix it. LOL [emoji38]
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: June 16, 2022, 04:36:37 pm »

At the start of the Article.

Mach-E that warrants a safety recall. However, there is reportedly no current fix available

Ford doesn't expect to have a fix for the problem until Q3 2022. Once the fix is determined and the parts become available for order, Mustang Mach-E owners will be alerted by Ford via first-class mail. The dealer bulletin reads:

As right now, they can't fix it. You got to wait.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 05:34:13 pm by Ontariodriver »

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-1196
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #264 on: June 16, 2022, 05:21:07 pm »
They put them back on the road using the current design. The permanent fix is not available yet. Mine is still running fine, (touching wood)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #265 on: June 16, 2022, 06:38:14 pm »

These two statements do NOT mean the same thing. The first is incorrect but the second is correct.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 16, 2022, 07:06:51 pm »

These two statements do NOT mean the same thing. The first is incorrect but the second is correct.

Pedantic. That was my first thought after reading the said article. Right now it can't be fixed. Lol.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 28, 2022, 06:45:43 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 28, 2022, 07:41:08 pm »

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #269 on: June 28, 2022, 08:46:03 pm »
Even though Ford has seen record profits and strong demand for electric vehicles like the Mustang Mach-E, rising battery material costs and inflation are erasing any potential profits for the new car, said Ford CFO John Lawler on Wednesday at a conference hosted by Deutsche Bank and reported on by CNBC. This is despite a recent price hike of the Mach-E to offset the effects of inflation.

Lawler said increasing the price of the vehicle was enough to preserve Ford’s profit margins, but not enough to impact the increased costs of commodities. While the CFO didn’t share how much money Ford is losing on each Mach-E purchase, he said costs for the EV have increased $25,000.

:o

https://techcrunch.com/2022/06/15/amid-recalls-ford-says-costs-to-build-mustang-mach-e-are-skyrocketing/

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 28, 2022, 08:53:23 pm »
Stop worrying, the fix is now available.  ;D

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/contactor-recall-fix-22s41-now-available-at-dealers.19137/
Nice!

No parts?

No, software update. You can book an appointment to have it done at the dealer or wait for an OTA update later this summer or in the fall.

BTW just coming back from a 1200 km round trip with mine. It went perfectly. 100 kW charging stations available even in remote locations, (we went fishing in Chapais, in Northern Quebec) On the first recharge the car was ready to go before we finished lunch. The other 2 fast charge went just as well. Great car for a road trip, in summer anyway.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2022, 08:58:55 pm by Guy »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: June 28, 2022, 09:08:33 pm »

https://www.macheforum.com/site/threads/contactor-recall-fix-22s41-now-available-at-dealers.19137/
Nice!

No parts?

No, software update. You can book an appointment to have it done at the dealer or wait for an OTA update later this summer or in the fall.

BTW just coming back from a 1200 km round trip with mine. It went perfectly. 100 kW charging stations available even in remote locations, (we went fishing in Chapais, in Northern Quebec) On the first recharge the car was ready to go before we finished lunch. The other 2 fast charge went just as well. Great car for a road trip, in summer anyway.

Well if the province/area has chargers, anyways.   ;D

Hmmm.  Software update to keep something from melting?  So they release software to pull some voltage from it?

Wonder if range will be affected in any form?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: June 28, 2022, 09:56:12 pm »

Nice!

No parts?

Well if the province/area has chargers, anyways.   ;D

Hmmm.  Software update to keep something from melting?  So they release software to pull some voltage from it?

Wonder if range will be affected in any form?

Welcome to Quebec! Chapais a 1200 souls town in the absolute middle of nowhere has 2 fast chargers, a 50 and a 100 kW. Kids were using the parking in front of the chargers as a mini skateboard park when I pulled in. I apologized and said I only needed 30 minutes.

I doubt it would affect range. It could affect charging speed and/or max power however as they say the cause is related to fast charging and long periods with the pedal to the floor. But pure speculation for now, we just do now know yet.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: June 28, 2022, 10:00:52 pm »
^^Keep us posted if you find anything out during your personal use.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #274 on: June 28, 2022, 10:43:38 pm »

Ford is FAMOUS for non fixes.

8 months ago I received a recall from Ford for a possible malfunction of the rear back up camera in the 2015 Mustang.  It was just a Notice as they were working on the problem.  ::)

2 years ago I lost my rear camera and trunk release.  The fix was all over the Mustang boards.  It's not a plug and play fix.

Very confident I will never receive another communication from Ford on the problem.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 05, 2022, 04:16:25 pm »
^^Keep us posted if you find anything out during your personal use.

So the update came OTA last night, no need to go to the dealer. No change in the car behaviour so far.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 25, 2022, 05:01:06 pm »
2023 pricing is out.

My 2021 Premium, extended range, AWD which retailed for $72k minus $8k subsidy is now $90k and no subsidy apply!  :o

40% increase in 2 years!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 05:03:08 pm by Guy »

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-439
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #277 on: August 25, 2022, 07:15:39 pm »
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone wants to buy an electric car  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 25, 2022, 07:21:34 pm »
For the life of me I don't understand why anyone wants to buy an electric car  ::)

Yea, I hear ya.

Now I DO drive the Prius almost entirely in EV mode day to day.  For my boring daily commute.  Which, I think, is fine for most people.  So I get (I think?) why they like EVs.

But as an enthusiast?  I want something that goes VROOOOOMMMM when it's a nice day or the weekend.  Or going for a spirited drive!  I need the auditory stimulation than no EV can provide...EVER.  There is a sense of "occasion" when driving something with a melodic engine note! At least for me.

I do like the KIA EV6 GT and of course a Taycan.

But not enough to live without an ICE at this point.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #279 on: August 25, 2022, 07:53:31 pm »
An electric would have been our first choice, just nothing available at a reasonable price. I've had an e-bike and a e-skateboard for years now, the torque of an electric car is something I look forward too, never mind freedom from the price of gas

Sure I loved the engine sounds of my v-twin bikes, but do regular 4 cyl or V6 cars sound great? Not really