Author Topic: Mustang Mach-E  (Read 60448 times)

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +146/-241
    • View Profile
Re: Mustang Mach-E
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2020, 10:35:13 pm »
60% of Canadians have cabins without electricity?  Maybe 60% of the people wherever you're from, but the reality is that over 80% of Canadians are city dwellers.  An EV doesn't go dead sitting, so why can't it sit outside your cabin?

As for condo and apartment dwellers, they might not have charging outlets NOW, but could have.  We didn't have ANY electricity in Canada in 1850 and WE DO NOW!  OMG!!  Things can change?  Nofuckingway!!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271208/urbanization-in-canada/

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 30, 2020, 11:32:20 pm »
60% of Canadians have cabins without electricity?  Maybe 60% of the people wherever you're from, but the reality is that over 80% of Canadians are city dwellers.  An EV doesn't go dead sitting, so why can't it sit outside your cabin?

As for condo and apartment dwellers, they might not have charging outlets NOW, but could have.  We didn't have ANY electricity in Canada in 1850 and WE DO NOW!  OMG!!  Things can change?  Nofuckingway!!

https://www.statista.com/statistics/271208/urbanization-in-canada/
[emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90][emoji90]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7208
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2020, 08:00:18 am »
I think the point being made is that currently (and for the next few years anyways) to make life convenient during EV ownership you pretty much have to be a home owner.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2020, 08:45:30 am »
I think the point being made is that currently (and for the next few years anyways) to make life convenient during EV ownership you pretty much have to be a home owner.

Yeah but it's not like we didn't know that already. And the criticism of a lack of outlets (LOL) is coming from someone who bought a V6 Mustang and lied through their teeth that it was a V8...  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2020, 08:48:18 am »

Why , there are a number of charging station around , a lot of Petro Canada station have charging station now
There are areas in Ontario where there no gas stations , what do these people do if they need gas ?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2020, 09:01:55 am »

Why , there are a number of charging station around , a lot of Petro Canada station have charging station now
There are areas in Ontario where there no gas stations , what do these people do if they need gas ?

Going to a charge outlet X times a week for X minutes/hours a day is NOT convenient in terms of vehicle ownership.

You can argue this point all you want...but it's a fact.

You'd have to be REALLY dedicated to EV ownership to do this week in, week out.

Which is why home ownership is key until they come up with a superfast charging infrastructure.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2020, 09:10:51 am »

Going to a charge outlet X times a week for X minutes/hours a day is NOT convenient in terms of vehicle ownership.

You can argue this point all you want...but it's a fact.

You'd have to be REALLY dedicated to EV ownership to do this week in, week out.

Which is why home ownership is key until they come up with a superfast charging infrastructure.

Yup. Which is why I’m going to wait until at least the next generation for better range and better infrastructure.
I think Vmango (or Bob) is a good example. Busy guy. Busy at work. Busy with family.

Slipping out to charge the car would just suck for him.

Home ownership key to making EV ownership the least bit intrusive to your life as possible.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2020, 09:28:43 am »
I could see this for my wife.

But at this point, an EV is a second car replacement.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2020, 09:29:11 am »
I can charge at home and it would work for a large percentage of my uses perfect but I am nervous about drives to the ski hill, cottage, trips, etc.

So the smart thing for me to do is wait until things are better sorted and there are more options.
Same.

Prime works for me in this regard but gas backup makes all the difference.

Went to a charge station once just to try it out. Was bored out of my mind after 20 minutes of doing nothing. Can't imagine doing it for much longer than that on a regular basis if you weren't a home owner.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 09:36:35 am by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2020, 10:16:01 am »
I think you'll start seeing charging points added to not only new houses, but also condo parking. Once that starts to happen it will accelerate the shift, as EV's make even more sense in the city.

My old place in Oakville didn't even have a car wash area which would have been really handy, as the parking was underground.

Where we currently are we get a lot of sun, so a charging point and solar panels would be awesome. But I'm not sure I'll go that route on this house, maybe the next one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2020, 10:23:48 am »
I think you'll start seeing charging points added to not only new houses, but also condo parking. Once that starts to happen it will accelerate the shift, as EV's make even more sense in the city.

My old place in Oakville didn't even have a car wash area which would have been really handy, as the parking was underground.

Where we currently are we get a lot of sun, so a charging point and solar panels would be awesome. But I'm not sure I'll go that route on this house, maybe the next one.
I think you might be right.

But how many charging stations per condo parking do you anticipate?

Certainly not enough to go around I would think.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-517
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring, 2006 SLK 55 AMG
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2020, 10:46:55 am »

I think you might be right.

But how many charging stations per condo parking do you anticipate?

Certainly not enough to go around I would think.

Having lived in a condo, it would be doable to have one in every stall, but then they'd have to tie each outlet into the meter for the condo unit for billing purposes. Construction wise in a new build, its fairly easy & would add a bit more to construction costs. Retrofit of an older building would be more costly & you'd need the condo board to build a business case for it. But right now we're talking in today's tech... I think the future will bring wireless charging for vehicles & more wireless in the home as well. We might be 10yrs away from it, but it will ramp up quickly is my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2020, 11:32:47 am »
Building code, at least in Québec & Ontario, now includes some electrical requirements / provision for EV charging for new house.

Don't know about condo but there is this guide https://www.plugndrive.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Make-Your-Condo-EV-Ready-Guide.pdf

A city dweller with an EV gen 2 (I mean 400 &+ km range) can recharge using a DCFC once a week, as needed, especially those without dedicated parking.
Sure, life if easier when you have your own EVSE @ home / work / condo parking spot, it is a no brainer.
I don't believe into car wireless charging for now, at least not until efficiency improve a lot, they have to reduce the electrical losses. 
EV fast charging technology & infrastructure area coverage will still continue to improve for those longer than range travel.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2020, 12:16:20 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

ltruong

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2020, 11:41:56 am »

Yeah but it's not like we didn't know that already. And the criticism of a lack of outlets (LOL) is coming from someone who bought a V6 Mustang and lied through their teeth that it was a V8...  :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

what....?

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +314/-518
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2020, 12:02:56 pm »
it’s -16 here today, I filled my truck up in 4min...come talk to me when I can do that with a BEV

I woke up and checked, my car has 384 km of range this morning (I don't charge to 100% daily very often which is 410km).
How much range is in your car now, right now.

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2020, 12:07:23 pm »
I CAN'T CHARGE AN EV AT MY CONDO SO THEY WILL FAIL.  Jesusfuckingchrist.  Today.  No one is saying that everyone will be driving an EV on Jan 1 2021.  But, its coming.  Takes time.  Horses were around for decades while cars were being introduced.  Stand on the TCH as it runs through the north end of Swift Current Sask and look at the town and you can walk to the other side of the city in about an hour, strolling.  Most of the city is detached houses with some apartment buildings south of the highway with outside parking.  The traffic on the highway is people driving through or farmers coming to town.  Most of the residents are just driving short distances in town, day in and out.  Right now, almost everyone could have an EV as a second vehicle and everyone could have a plug-in hybrid and probably use the ICE once a month, maybe.  A big trip for most people is the 275km to Saskatoon or the 250km to Regina.

it would be easy to solve the infrastructure issue in Speedy Creek.  An issue though would be money.  EVs and PHEVs need to get cheaper as people can't afford them.  There's a lot of used Cavaliers and 20yr old pick ups around not because people love them, but because they can't afford better.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2020, 12:07:38 pm »

I am out at the cabin, no EV charging point here - the closest outlet is about 300 meters away....and it’s cold, your EV would have no range when it’s time to leave on the 2nd...

Did a 4000 km road trip a few years ago in the Tesla, one of the stops was a remote cabin in Quebec (Laurentides) with 120V plug, took 2 days to get a full charge, but we were staying for 3 days ... 0$ for charging for the entire trip.   Supercharging was free, and cabin charging was free, municipal charging in Quebec City was free...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2020, 12:13:19 pm »
I can charge at home and it would work for a large percentage of my uses perfect but I am nervous about drives to the ski hill, cottage, trips, etc.
So the smart convenientthing for me to do is wait until things are better sorted and there are more options.

Safe, convenient, one of those is the word you were looking for.
That's entirely fine, but don't say smart ... that doesn't fit the situation.

With 500 km EPA range, 400 km in cold weather, the longer range EV's (Tesla, ...) are suitable for any trip I can imagine in Ontario.
Our summer vacation was north of Manitoulin, no issue, we did previous road trips through Quebec up through Saguenay, no issue.

Offline JayStack

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2020, 12:22:04 pm »
With 500 km EPA range, 400 km in cold weather, the longer range EV's (Tesla, ...) are suitable for any trip I can imagine in Ontario.
Our summer vacation was north of Manitoulin, no issue, we did previous road trips through Quebec up through Saguenay, no issue.

You and I are generally on the same page, but you're also talking about really expensive vehicles, and price is a HUGE stumbling block for people.  Your Tesla might be super affordable for you, but on the planet earth and real Canada, the majority of people can't afford one.  Until we have actual affordable long range EVs and comprehensive infrastructure, most people won't be able to buy one.  This is why government intervention is important.  It's an overall benefit to everyone the more EVs we have, so it makes sense to push the market in that direction.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 31, 2020, 12:45:49 pm »
Your Tesla might be super affordable for you, but on the planet earth and real Canada, the majority of people can't afford one

Our Tesla was the most expensive car purchase ever for us, while my wife had owned Mercedes and Porsches, my previous nicest car was a Z28 LOL!
But purchase price doesn't tell the tale.

In the 5.5 years of ownership, we've averaged $550/mo for depreciation, maintenance, electricity.
My parents pay that in lease + fuel for their new Corolla.

Until we have actual affordable long range EVs and comprehensive infrastructure, most people won't be able to buy one.  This is why government intervention is important.  It's an overall benefit to everyone the more EVs we have, so it makes sense to push the market in that direction.

+1 !