Author Topic: Motorcycle Winterizing  (Read 8941 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Motorcycle Winterizing
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2020, 07:46:24 pm »
Interesting, thanks.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2020, 09:33:59 pm »
I've had to pull my pressure washer back out twice in the last couple of weeks because I keep going for rides, might go again tomorrow.

Bob, are your dirt bikes put away?   How muddy/deep is the water in your area?
Here there's a lot of clay, it just fills up between the knobs and gets pretty slick.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2020, 12:00:39 pm »
I've had to pull my pressure washer back out twice in the last couple of weeks because I keep going for rides, might go again tomorrow.

Here there's a lot of clay, it just fills up between the knobs and gets pretty slick.

The mud around here is very slippery, with a lot of leaves on top, so you have to be careful. Yes all the bikes are away now, it's not really getting above 3-4C most of the time, so I'll just go MTBing instead.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2020, 12:23:28 pm »

The mud around here is very slippery, with a lot of leaves on top, so you have to be careful. Yes all the bikes are away now, it's not really getting above 3-4C most of the time, so I'll just go MTBing instead.

Think I'll stay home today.   One guy in the riding group, who lives near where we were going,  warned that "the freeze is in the ground" and there are icy patches all over.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2020, 12:28:19 pm »

Think I'll stay home today.   One guy in the riding group, who lives near where we were going,  warned that "the freeze is in the ground" and there are icy patches all over.

I'm going to put the studded tires on the MTB this weekend.

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2020, 05:33:35 pm »
We ran studded tires in the winter on our off road bikes.

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2020, 07:36:51 pm »
I've been riding my MTB around and there is a surprising amount of grip on compact snow and rough ice. Hairy on glare ice though.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2020, 08:03:16 pm »
I've been riding my MTB around and there is a surprising amount of grip on compact snow and rough ice. Hairy on glare ice though.
On the lake, we could lean our dirtbikes over almost far though you touch the handlebars down.

Takes a massive reprogramming of the brain! LOL [emoji38]

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2020, 07:40:15 am »
Properly winterized...

Picked it up yesterday.  Kid was excited like...like it was Christmas or something.  ;D

Eventually we will move it to the front lobby which never gets used for anything anyway, but for now...it's in the house.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2020, 11:09:18 am »
Properly winterized...

Picked it up yesterday.  Kid was excited like...like it was Christmas or something.  ;D

Eventually we will move it to the front lobby which never gets used for anything anyway, but for now...it's in the house.

Don't keep a bike in the house, it's a huge fire risk.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2020, 11:26:54 am »
It'll be fine...for this year.  Tank is basically empty, fireplace doesn't work & we don't smoke.  Shouldn't self ignite and if it does, be sure to sue Honda for us...give the money to the poor...no need to rebuild the house.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2020, 11:34:20 am »
It'll be fine...for this year.  Tank is basically empty, fireplace doesn't work & we don't smoke.  Shouldn't self ignite and if it does, be sure to sue Honda for us...give the money to the poor...no need to rebuild the house.
it's likely fine, but i don't know what an insurance company would have to say about it if something does happen...they're always looking for reasons to deny a claim...i wouldn't give them one.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2020, 11:43:06 am »

It's not really about self ignition, it's more about the amount of highly toxic smoke it will give off if you have a fire. If one starts elsewhere you could be screwed.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2020, 01:14:42 pm »

Don't waste your breath, Bob.

Dude can't say "No".

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2020, 02:00:35 pm »
it's likely fine, but i don't know what an insurance company would have to say about it if something does happen...they're always looking for reasons to deny a claim...i wouldn't give them one.

I work for the company...and I'm not giving a shi# so... :P

Don't waste your breath, Bob.

Dude can't say "No".

Hey!  Just 'cause I gave up my garage space!!   :rofl:  I can also choose to not say no if I want...it's not like I'm going anywhere...and I mean c'mon, the Fusion is pretty much perfect, still, but it's worth less than a 1976 1986 (same shi#) Chevette...FFS... :'(  I couldn't replace it with anything half as nice as what I could sell it for.  Still...here's hoping he buys his own place sometime in the next yr.  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2020, 02:10:10 pm »
Wait, so you let your boy take YOUR garage space (that YOU own) and also park a bike in the living room?  WTF?

Fack me, You give him the Master Suite in the house, too?  Does he even pay rent?

And, the value of your Fusion has got NOTHING to do with it.  The boy can have his own garage space when he buys or rents his own damn house.  I'm guessing the reason a young guy like him can drive something nice like a Mustang GT and a new bike is because he's not responsible for the monthly costs associated with running an independant household. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2020, 02:12:08 pm »
Yeah, my dad would tell me where to go and how to get there if I wanted to kick him out of his garage or park my bike in their living room. Outside with a cover sonny boy till you can get a garage

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2020, 02:28:01 pm »
Yeah, my dad would tell me where to go and how to get there if I wanted to kick him out of his garage or park my bike in their living room. Outside with a cover sonny boy till you can get a garage

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Bike in the house isn't a big deal, but store the Mustang somewhere else.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2020, 02:35:02 pm »
 :rofl: My dad would've said the same thing to me...then again he only had a single car garage, and I never would've asked (or assumed I could even).  My wife on the other hand, who I do have to live with...thinks I'm a prick with an attitude like you guys... :P it, is simply not worth the facking arguments...and I can't afford a new wife or a different house...so call me weak...but we all have to pick our own battles.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2020, 02:49:53 pm »
no wonder why "kids" these days are so entitled...everything's been given to them, so that's how they think the real world is. ;)