Author Topic: Motorcycle Winterizing  (Read 8936 times)

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle Winterizing
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2020, 04:24:32 pm »
^^ Top Tier does not mean ethanol-free.
I linked to the wrong one.

Fixed!

Thanks!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2020, 04:33:07 pm »
^^ I already linked to that in post #11.  ;)

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2020, 05:40:56 pm »
^^ I already linked to that in post #11.  ;)
Guess I missed it. :(

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2020, 06:20:47 pm »
I just couldn't figure out from the F9 video which stabiliser was best. Seemed like none.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2020, 08:20:30 pm »
I just couldn't figure out from the F9 video which stabiliser was best. Seemed like none.
That was a piece of crap video.....unrealistic and poorly done.

On what planet do you get that much condensation by volume?

And on what planet is there a product that can fix that much water by volume with a normal dose?

The answer of course is none.

I use K100...as have my buddies. Primarily started using it for trace water in fuel on sleds and PWC or poor fuel purchased on the water and trails in the middle of nowhere up north. Juuuuust enough water to potentially cause problems..not the nonsense in the video. In other words..real world.

Morphed into using it for long term storage for everything. Can't overdose the gas with this product either.

Have heard there's a good following for Startron...but haven't personally used it.

You can find better/more realistic videos on most of these products.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 08:51:31 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 09:58:01 pm »
i think the point of the article was, with today's quality fuels, you likely don't need a stabilizer, but it would be good to avoid fuel with ethanol in it...but like i said earlier (and you too), it's not expensive, so might still be worth getting.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 11:04:13 pm »
i think the point of the article was, with today's quality fuels, you likely don't need a stabilizer, but it would be good to avoid fuel with ethanol in it...but like i said earlier (and you too), it's not expensive, so might still be worth getting.
I think, probably, if you store for less than 3 months, no worry of any kind using good fuel and a topped up tank to prevent any condensation. That's just an opinion.

Lawnmower, Snowblower, Generator, weed whacker? Those for sure, as I go many months between use. Dosed properly, K100 can be used to keep fuel fresh for 2 years. I dose at half of that...300:1

Our initial use was water in PWC and sleds. Particularly noticeable in the extreme cold in sleds. Never an issue with gas I've put in from my usual source or my gas cans. But we'd see the occasional issue with iffy gas stations off the water or in the middle of nowhere. Kept a small bottle on the vehicle, treated when filled up away from home. Never, ever an issue after that. Maybe just luck or coincidence?  Maybe not?

I did notice, 100 percent, when I used it in pre-mix (weed wacker). Oil/gas mix never seemed to gum up in long term storage.

I'd put it in the Supra for winter storage. Have used it in other cars that didn't get driven much in winter. IS300 is treated with it currently.

So yea, I like it. I think it works for the usual small amounts of water you might get with tainted fuel. I think it might mitigates cheap/stale/ethanol fuel. I think it works for long term storage  of my small engines.  Yes, I've used it in bikes. But I've never personally had an issue with bikes. Had a friend who did though...Water/condensation/bad fuel.  And while it wasn't an expensive fix, it was just a real PITA getting rid of the tainted fuel and getting bike to run perfect again. So that ONE time was enough to never want it to happen to me, however minute the chance.

So yea...I've used it in everything ever since.

YMMV.

Here's the alleged benefits. Again...YMMV on whether you believe any of these alleged benefits.

https://k-100.com/gas/
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 11:13:48 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2020, 12:20:33 am »
i have some...i put it in the snowblower gas...it's only like $10 for a bottle and lasts a few years so i buy it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2020, 12:18:39 pm »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2020, 07:56:39 pm »
I've never put my bike away long enough to justify winterizing it. Even in Edmonton where I went 20 straight months of riding. Battery tenders are important though. A fully charged battery has a freezing point of -50, a depleted battery 0.

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2020, 10:47:43 am »
Someone once told me it's bad for the tires to rest on cold concrete for too long. Something about the compound used in motorcycle tires and cold concrete extracting moisture from it. Not sure if it's true, but I've been putting a piece of cardboard under each tire over the winter.

I don't use stabilizer, I don't think fuel will go bad in only 6 months, but I do make sure to use ethanol-free fuel over the winter.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2020, 10:57:41 am »
Someone once told me it's bad for the tires to rest on cold concrete for too long. Something about the compound used in motorcycle tires and cold concrete extracting moisture from it. Not sure if it's true, but I've been putting a piece of cardboard under each tire over the winter.

I don't use stabilizer, I don't think fuel will go bad in only 6 months, but I do make sure to use ethanol-free fuel over the winter.

I often put cardboard down under cars as well, keeps the condensation off and catches any drips too.   For bikes, center stand or dirt-bike stand is useful for taking weight off tires, I guess a piece of cardboard wouldn't hurt, but not so much an issue with knobbies.
I had to bring some car race tires into the house this weekend, you're not supposed to let them freeze, I  imagine some sport bike compounds might be similar.
Mr Pickypants

Offline Marko

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2020, 11:25:47 am »
I had to bring some car race tires into the house this weekend, you're not supposed to let them freeze, I  imagine some sport bike compounds might be similar.
Hmmm that makes me wonder if I should be storing my Mustang's summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) in my basement instead of my garage over the winter.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2020, 11:31:51 am »
Hmmm that makes me wonder if I should be storing my Mustang's summer tires (Michelin Pilot Sport 4S) in my basement instead of my garage over the winter.

Sport Cup tires, yes. Sport 4S, think they'll be ok

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2020, 12:13:51 pm »
Is this just hearsay or is there any evidence for this?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2020, 12:59:24 pm »

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2020, 01:05:22 pm »

https://www.toyotires.ca/sites/default/files/coldweatheradvisory_-_10-17-2017.pdf

Yeah, I have R888 tires, they come with the warning.   I'm not sure it extends to other brands, but I brought in my Hankooks too.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2020, 06:11:27 pm »
I remember GM had to do a technical press release about freezing tires on one of the Vettes, though I forget the exact details

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2020, 06:52:07 pm »
I remember GM had to do a technical press release about freezing tires on one of the Vettes, though I forget the exact details

https://www.cccorvette.org/tech/TireCracking_GM_13-03-10-001A.pdf

It’s mostly about driving on summer tires in the cold, but they do recommend storing them above -7 degrees Celsius as well.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2020, 06:55:15 pm »

they do recommend storing them above -7 degrees Celsius as well.

I thought so but didn't want to say so as I wasn't 100 percent sure.

Thanks for the refresher!