Author Topic: Tire changer  (Read 12823 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Tire changer
« on: October 29, 2020, 08:08:04 pm »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Re: Tire changer
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 09:22:01 pm »
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 09:32:39 pm »
It's interesting I give them that.  Could be worth it to some ppl that can't lift much usually due to plain old age.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:41:11 pm »
The problem is you'd still need to lift or put the wheels in and out of storage, unless they are stored along the walls, which is along with this gizmo is how you'd run out of space.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 10:03:22 pm »
There are a zillion properties whose garages are not the size of postage stamps.  I roll my tires into a rack at the front under a workbench.  Used to pile them on top of each other (lying on side) but not the best for alloys. 

The only issue I see is loading them on if the goal is to avoid any lifting.  Do the wheels lock so one can roll the tire on into it?  Or does one need to block the rollers with one's foot and then roll the tire on?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 12:38:34 am »
There are a zillion properties whose garages are not the size of postage stamps.  I roll my tires into a rack at the front under a workbench.  Used to pile them on top of each other (lying on side) but not the best for alloys. 

The only issue I see is loading them on if the goal is to avoid any lifting.  Do the wheels lock so one can roll the tire on into it?  Or does one need to block the rollers with one's foot and then roll the tire on?
I'm guessing you lower it to the lowest position (so the rollers are wider than the tire), then just slide it up to the tire and jack, raising it off the ground.

That's how I've done it with this type (which is priced better)

https://www.harborfreight.com/1250-lb-capacity-vehicle-positioning-wheel-dolly-61917.html

This link has a video in action. https://www.harborfreight.com/5200-lb-max-vehicle-weight-ultra-mobile-self-loading-dolly-64601.html
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:49:02 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 06:53:51 am »
That harbour freight one looks interesting

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 09:13:57 am »
^^ If you watch the video they say that they don't work for moving the car around with one under each wheel due to the castor wheels having no bearings - just a straight bolt for an axle. Maybe some grease would help on the bolt/axle?
Maybe they are not made for this purpose and just for lifting/positioning a wheel with changeovers and that;s fine.
CT also sells a similar product. But, again, they are $100 too expensive to consider IMHO.
Anyone else out there with cheaper versions in Canada? I like the idea of this product for changeovers.
Railton
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-positioning-jacks-2500-lbs-0091090p.html

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 09:27:50 am »
^^ If you watch the video they say that they don't work for moving the car around with one under each wheel due to the castor wheels having no bearings - just a straight bolt for an axle. Maybe some grease would help on the bolt/axle?
Maybe they are not made for this purpose and just for lifting/positioning a wheel with changeovers and that;s fine.
the model up at $129 does that (the link rrocket mentioned with video):

https://www.harborfreight.com/5200-lb-max-vehicle-weight-ultra-mobile-self-loading-dolly-64601.html
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 11:58:18 am »

https://www.harborfreight.com/5200-lb-max-vehicle-weight-ultra-mobile-self-loading-dolly-64601.html
Ya, but you could buy just one and use it for the changes.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 12:01:38 pm »

So, to be clear, that's $129 USD and plus shipping right?
Railton

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 12:14:56 pm »

So, to be clear, that's $129 USD and plus shipping right?
Railton
Ya.

But they make a similar one for $89.

Also, there are coupons everywhere for harbor freight. In car magazines, etc And they can usually be used for online purchase.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2020, 12:49:20 pm »

no, i know...i just meant if you wanted to move the car around on it, that one looks to be the model to go with as it's made to do both.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2020, 01:00:33 pm »

no, i know...i just meant if you wanted to move the car around on it, that one looks to be the model to go with as it's made to do both.
Both models I posted are made to do that.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 01:21:45 pm »

i thought it was mentioned the $89 didn't work very well due to the lack of bearings.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 01:28:31 pm »
Interesting idea given how big and heavy wheels are tires are getting. Easy to do with 13" rubber, less so with 20". Useful with those afflicted with lug bolts.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 06:10:31 pm »

i thought it was mentioned the $89 didn't work very well due to the lack of bearings.
It works "OK" (that's the one I used before) for moving a car around a garage. Like putting a car away for the winter or off to the side, not everyday wheeling around.

And it certainly would work for tire changes.

But the more expensive ones are the ones I'd want for wheeling a car around a garage more frequently

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 10:02:56 pm »
went to Mr Lube around the corner from me to get my winters put on...i'd normally go to my indie, but i paid for the "drive thru" service...had to wait a few minutes to get in, put it was pretty quick and painless...$67 for a tire swap but you get free michelin wiper blades (special ends tomorrow)...i'll bring the Sorento in the morning to get it done...if i needed more done, i'd likely just get the indie to do it, but i don't need anything else.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2020, 02:07:36 pm »
went to Mr Lube around the corner from me to get my winters put on...i'd normally go to my indie, but i paid for the "drive thru" service...had to wait a few minutes to get in, put it was pretty quick and painless...$67 for a tire swap but you get free michelin wiper blades (special ends tomorrow)...i'll bring the Sorento in the morning to get it done...if i needed more done, i'd likely just get the indie to do it, but i don't need anything else.

Call me cheap but that seems like a lot to just swap out wheels if already mounted on separate rims. Maybe you do not have dedicated rims and it involves mounting and balancing. In that case it is a good price.

I still do my own winter / summer wheel change over. In great part to save cost but also do the fact that even if I do go to my indi to have it done I still have to load tires in the car, go and wait for service then unload the tires out of the car. Still lugging tires wheels either way so I might as well just to the bloody change.

What would make it simple for me is to find a place that will store wheels and therefore when I am a weeeeee bit older I would not have to lug wheels at all. The added bonus is freeing up storage space in my garage for more junk. My friend store his wheels at a local tire place. But they charge him for storage and re-balancing the wheels at every seasonal change over. It is just a cash grab. He does not seems to care but I would not agree to it. Way too expensive for me.

Too bad Costco does not offer tire storage.

Back on topic. Once I find tire changeover too hard I will bite the bullet and get it done for me. I would not bother buying on of these tire changers.

Maybe another option for me is to have a mobile tire change over service come and do it right at my home. Seen them around Montreal doing this. That way they can lug the wheels around for me.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 02:43:38 pm »
nah, it is on the pricier side...just thought it would be quick and easy...but next time, i'll just drop it off at the indie (i'll need an oil change then anyway)...i'm going to see how these all weather tires work and next time i need tires (will be a few years out), i might just grab them...no more tire swaps and no more storing 8 tires in the garage...that takes up a lot of space...i could fit a motorcycle/scooter in that space...hmmmmm.  :)