Author Topic: Bicycle Shops  (Read 5341 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Bicycle Shops
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2020, 03:24:51 pm »
i know very little about bicycles, but you can get a "treadmill" for one, which allows you to use your road bike as a stationary bike for home use...just a thought since you mentioned a Pelaton (which are expensive, although perhaps more suited to what you want).

They're called trainers.  The biggest advantage they have over a stationary bike is that if you're into competition, you can use your regular season bike to train in the off-season, retaining the geometry and touch points that you're used to. 

Trainers are HELL on tires, so most people who ride their bike on a trainer will have a second rear wheel with a longer wearing tire that they'll swap out so that they don't flat spot their road tire.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2020, 03:53:42 pm »
i know very little about bicycles, but you can get a "treadmill" for one, which allows you to use your road bike as a stationary bike for home use...just a thought since you mentioned a Pelaton (which are expensive, although perhaps more suited to what you want).
I did consider a treadmill/trainer, but given that by now I had realized that I had a pretty crappy bike, it did not make sense to make any more investments in this bike's eco-system. Also it's my sense that these trainers can be quite noisy depending on the kind of tire you use. So overall it made sense to shift to a quality spin bike, hence the Peleton. By the time next spring rolls around I can then research and buy a good road bike.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2020, 04:17:55 pm »
I did consider a treadmill/trainer, but given that by now I had realized that I had a pretty crappy bike, it did not make sense to make any more investments in this bike's eco-system. Also it's my sense that these trainers can be quite noisy depending on the kind of tire you use. So overall it made sense to shift to a quality spin bike, hence the Peleton. By the time next spring rolls around I can then research and buy a good road bike.

I'm not too up and up on road bikes, being more of a mountain biker, but there are a few members on here who know a lot about roadbikes, including Quadzilla and Jaeger.  They'd be good ones to ask opinions of. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2020, 05:06:49 pm »
The newer smart trainers are so much better and more realistic than the "spin your tire" models.

Shocked it took the industry this long to figure this out. You take your back wheel off and mount your bike to the trainer.

You can get a good one (if you can find stock anywhere of course) for under $1200. That leaves $1800 for a cheap but good road bike. Just say'n.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2020, 05:57:04 pm »
When the gyms in Ontario closed in late March, I bought a $160 supercycle from Canadian Tire, basically as a "disposable" bike for the summer. After riding it for about a 1000 km during April, May and June it needed a rear tire and so I took it to the nearby Trek bicycle store. Very snooty, but they condescended to change my tire and do a tune up. A few weeks later I had to take it back to change a rusted hub and also bought a longer stem. Total spent in repairs, parts etc. so far $275 for a $160 bike, but totally worth it given the Covid circumstances.

With colder weather imminent and the gym situation uncertain and risky I ordered a Peleton (the regular bike not the fancy Bike+ with monitor, classes etc.). Oh boy, is it back ordered!! I ordered it in the last week of September and delivery is scheduled for the last week of November!!

A $160 Supercycle is NEVER worth it under any circumstance.  Actually, ANY bike bought from Walmart or Canadian Tire isn't worth it, unless it's a kids bike for a kid under 10. 

If I was looking to buy a budget bike, I'd go to Sport Chek.  They actually carry decent budget stuff.  This one looks good for a cheap bike: https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/cycling/bikes/city-hybrid-bikes/product/diadora-modena-700c-mens-hybrid-bike-2019-332708515.html#332708515%5Bcolor%5D=332708515_99.  Sport-Chek also hire actual bike mechanics, so their bikes are actually assembled and tuned properly, unlike Walmart/Canadian Tire, whose bike assemblers are the same people who stock the toilet paper on the shelves. 

When I worked as a bike mechanic at a bike shop, I always dreaded seeing cheap Wal-mart or Canadian Tire bikes come in for tune-ups.  They're impossible to tune properly.  I would spend an inordinate amount of time trying to fiddle with them, and they would never end up perfect.  Contrast this to even a cheap bike store bike (starting at about $450), or even a cheap Sport-Chek bike like the one I posted, and they would be pretty easy to bring into tune.

Eh some people have different priorities. If I didn't have a $350 wellness credit to spend, I wouldn't have bought a $400+ bike.

My Costco bike is at least made by Giant so it's a really solid bike. My ex has a Sport Chek bike and it's surprisingly well built, just heavy.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2020, 06:41:06 pm »
I recently added a stationary bike to my gym and have been really impressed with it.  I am not really a fan of how spin bikes feel and wasn't sure if I'd like an assault style bike.  I already have a Concept 2 rowed that have had for a decade and it's bullet proof.  While watching a crossfit games I noticed that the exercise bike they were using was made by Concept 2, it's called a BikeErg.  So in April I put my name on the wait list to get one and 8 weeks later I was able to order one.  I highly recommend it.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2020, 06:45:35 pm »
^^^ I've never worked on or experienced a Costco bike, so I can't say whether they're okay or not.. that being said, Costco generally doesn't sell crap.  I do question the assembly quality, as I doubt they employ professional bike mechanics to build them.

Anyway, I'm not saying everyone has to spend $600+ on a basic bike.  There is definitely a need for cheaper price point bikes.  But Supercycle has zero merit.  They're absolute crap.  They're the Mitsubishi Mirage of bikes.  There are much better options out there for not very much more money, I've already posted a couple. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2020, 07:05:04 pm »
^^^ I've never worked on or experienced a Costco bike, so I can't say whether they're okay or not.. that being said, Costco generally doesn't sell crap.  I do question the assembly quality, as I doubt they employ professional bike mechanics to build them.

Yea Northrock is all Giant built stuff with slightly lower spec components. But when I compared my Northrock XC29 and Giant's cheapest 29" MTB, it's not far off. The frame is solid, the brakes exude confidence, the Maxxis Icon tires it came with are really good.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2020, 08:12:05 pm »
i think last time i saw some bikes at Costco, some were made in Canada?
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2020, 09:09:07 pm »
I know the current post-COVID inventory is low, but OMG if buying a bike isn't an awful experience!

Has someone gone around and sold every single local bike shop some sh!tty platform to host their stores?!? And most of them don't even sell online, they just show what they have and link to a manufacturer's site.

Holy sh!t is this a market ripe for disruption, the online experience is really terrible.

Something like this?

https://www.radicaledge.ca/

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2020, 08:28:59 am »
I know the current post-COVID inventory is low, but OMG if buying a bike isn't an awful experience!

Has someone gone around and sold every single local bike shop some sh!tty platform to host their stores?!? And most of them don't even sell online, they just show what they have and link to a manufacturer's site.

Holy sh!t is this a market ripe for disruption, the online experience is really terrible.

Something like this?

https://www.radicaledge.ca/

Same old shitty website, and same old in-store play...

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2020, 08:30:58 am »
I can't believe people still pay so much for these awful platforms...

https://www.smartetailing.com/bike-shop-websites

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2020, 11:03:35 am »
I’m pretty sure that a lot of brands won’t let dealers sell a bike online, or even deliver it to the customer still in the box. It’s in the dealer agreement and they’ll lose the brand if they don’t comply.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2020, 11:21:52 am »
I’m pretty sure that a lot of brands won’t let dealers sell a bike online, or even deliver it to the customer still in the box. It’s in the dealer agreement and they’ll lose the brand if they don’t comply.

I think this is it. It's a market controlled by the manufacturers. I wonder if you could start with smaller brands first.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2020, 11:46:27 am »

I think this is it. It's a market controlled by the manufacturers. I wonder if you could start with smaller brands first.

There are some smaller brands out there that sell directly to the customer.  Here is an example:

https://moosebicycle.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzvX7BRAeEiwAsXExoyjMiIPs_cR8bo8Gn-yEpCsDNtlBz3yYlQjUOiypGfp02HlzBEiJehoCCb4QAvD_BwE

My cousin bought a fixie from them this spring.  I picked it up and assembled it for him (came in a box just like every single other bike I've ever built from a mainstream manufacturer). 

For a bike that cost him $500, I was very impressed with the quality of it.  Granted, they're a smaller company and have a limited selection of bikes.  You must either want a city-style commuter, a fixie, or a fat bike.  I'm thinking of picking one up myself next year. 

The two biggest downsides for the average layman is the size of the box, and the fact that assembly is required.  Bike boxes are quite large, and they won't fit in a normal car, even a hatchback.  You either need a truck or a large SUV with the seats down in order to pick it up from the shipping depot (where the bike will eventually end up, because they'll always try to deliver it when you're not home - as happened with my cousin), or drive it to somewhere you can get it built.  And as far as assembly goes, if you have a little bit of mechanical skill, you can probably figure out how to put the bike together and adequately tuned.  But it's my experience that most people don't seem to have those skills, and will therefore have to bring to bike to a professional to get built, if they don't know somebody who can (like my Cousin who knows me). 

Also, I will add that building a bike is more than just putting the front wheel in the drop-outs, inserting the stem into the headset, and installing the pedals.  Drivetrain and brakes never come perfectly set from the factory, and will always require some degree of tuning, especially multi-speed drivetrains.  Wheelsets will always need the spokes re-tensioned after the first test ride (you build a bike, tune it, take it out for a test ride to 'set the spokes', then you bring it back into the shop, take the wheels off, and tweak the spoke tensions again before putting the bike on the showroom floor).  The more expensive a bike is, the more important it is for it to be built properly.  Granted, the more expensive the bike, the cheaper it will seem to get it built by a pro.  $100 to build a $3000 bike is a relatively small amount, but $100 to build a $500 bike is a huge extra charge.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 11:56:28 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2020, 11:51:20 am »

My bike was delivered to me in the box... but it was in the store first, assembled there & then dis-assembled & sent to me.

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=60426.msg1370370#msg1370370
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2020, 11:53:17 am »

But, then you need a small brand that people want and second that those same people can actually assemble a bicycle from a bunch of parts. What about when there are problems putting it together?
A pretty narrow market.
personally, I've purchased used bikes on-line via ebay and Kijiji and put them together myself but I don;t think there's a lot out there that do.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2020, 01:04:25 pm »
Canyon Bikes keeps saying they area coming to Canada.

https://www.canyon.com/en-ca

Canyon Canada – coming soon
NEXT SPRING, CANYON IS COMING TO CANADA.

Next Spring, we’re bringing our award-winning mountain, road, gravel, and tri bikes to all of Canada. We’re sorry it took a little longer than planned – but we’ll be here as soon as we can with amazing performance, unrivalled value, and direct-to-your door delivery. It’s been a long time coming. Next year, let’s roll.
Canyon Canada

WE CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOU IN 2021!

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2020, 01:14:19 pm »
Looks like Commencal And YT are already here.

https://www.commencalcanada.com/

https://ca.yt-industries.com/cat/index/sCategory/435

I buy all kinds of stuff online, but I've never considered a bike purchase that way. LBS seems to give pretty good deals, but I've never done a real price comparison.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2020, 02:08:47 pm »
Looks like Commencal And YT are already here.

https://www.commencalcanada.com/

https://ca.yt-industries.com/cat/index/sCategory/435

I buy all kinds of stuff online, but I've never considered a bike purchase that way. LBS seems to give pretty good deals, but I've never done a real price comparison.

That's the problem, it becomes difficult to compare, as the big brands won't allow it, and the smaller brands are hard to compare and/or find.

I agree that there are a load of good online brands springing up, Europe seems to be doing better than NA at making customers comfortable with this model.