Author Topic: 2022 Honda Civic  (Read 64849 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 Honda Civic
« Reply #220 on: October 19, 2021, 05:11:30 pm »
All-New 2022 Honda Civic Si Reveled.

https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/release-1a2af5285b9219ee0ddfa89bdd026e22-all-new-2022-honda-civic-si-brings-the-passionsets-new-benchmark-for-sport-compact-sedans

Updated 1.5-liter turbocharged engine with broader power curves and a lighter flywheel for quicker response and improved drivability

No thankyou.

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #222 on: November 02, 2021, 03:00:30 pm »
I think the "5 less bhp but broader power band" is fine for a mid-cycle refresh, but yeah it's disappointing stuff for a new generation.

But if you want a manual trans Civic Sedan now, this is the only way.

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 02, 2021, 03:00:50 pm »
So, 40 less hp and $2k more than a GTI.  Ok then.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #224 on: November 02, 2021, 04:48:09 pm »
Yep and it's even worse when you compare the the VW GLI and the Hyundai Elantra N Line.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2021, 05:35:49 pm »

And 81 less lb/ft of torque!! Compared to the 2022 GTI.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2021, 05:37:17 pm »
Honda is trying a bold pricing strategy in my opinion. Base Civic is $$ too.
Honda is trying to follow Toyota and go for premium pricing.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2021, 05:41:56 pm »
Honda is trying a bold pricing strategy in my opinion. Base Civic is $$ too.
Honda is trying to follow Toyota and go for premium pricing.
How are the Toyota Corolla premium priced?

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #228 on: November 02, 2021, 06:45:38 pm »

I've LONG been a fan of Honda, but if I were shopping the segment, my money would go towards the GTI.   

I dare say the GTI will be more reliable long term, too.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2021, 05:57:43 am »

I've LONG been a fan of Honda, but if I were shopping the segment, my money would go towards the GTI.   

I'd lean GTI as well.  But more reliable?  :rofl:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2021, 07:37:38 am »

I'd lean GTI as well.  But more reliable?  :rofl:

I would argue that the GTI is a fairly sorted car - you don't hear of too many problems with it.  Meanwhile, the problems that Honda has been having with its 1.5T, along with the overall decline in quality in that company, is leading me to lose confidence in them. 

At the very least, I would place them both on equal footing when it comes to reliability. 

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2021, 09:53:13 am »
I believe the concern was with the 1.5T as applied to the CRV and not the Civic Si but not sure.  The latter is definitely tuned differently.

But I believe it was resolved via recall and was a potential issue long term in really cold climates.  Or am I mistaken?

I am just having issue with the GTI interior.  That haptic BS is horrible.

Yes to that last bit.  A HUGE downside to me to the point of being a potential deal breaker.  I'd have to try one out to be sure, but every fiber of my being screams Do. Not. Like.  Groping around flat surfaces while driving isn't solving a problem, it's creating one.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2021, 10:02:04 am »
I believe the concern was with the 1.5T as applied to the CRV and not the Civic Si but not sure.  The latter is definitely tuned differently.

But I believe it was resolved via recall and was a potential issue long term in really cold climates.  Or am I mistaken?

Yes to that last bit.  A HUGE downside to me to the point of being a potential deal breaker.  I'd have to try one out to be sure, but every fiber of my being screams Do. Not. Like.  Groping around flat surfaces while driving isn't solving a problem, it's creating one.
the "center stack" in my Venza is all touch "buttons"...while i'd always prefer more of a mechanical set up, you do get used to it pretty quickly...the vehicle has auto climate control, so i'm rarely messing around with those functions anyway...and there is some controls of the radio on my steering wheel so they are easy to adjust without having to look or feel around for knobs/dials...so, i get it, but it may not be the deal breaker some say it would be if you still like everything else about the vehicle.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2021, 10:09:31 am »

the "center stack" in my Venza is all touch "buttons"...while i'd always prefer more of a mechanical set up, you do get used to it pretty quickly...the vehicle has auto climate control, so i'm rarely messing around with those functions anyway...and there is some controls of the radio on my steering wheel so they are easy to adjust without having to look or feel around for knobs/dials...so, i get it, but it may not be the deal breaker some say it would be if you still like everything else about the vehicle.

I said it would be a potential deal breaker for ME.  Not for everyone. You can eventually get used to the very worst ergonomic control mess imaginable, so I'm not sure that's much of an answer.  People used that justification for the laughably bad BMW controls for a loooong time.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2021, 10:19:05 am »

I said it would be a potential deal breaker for ME.  Not for everyone. You can eventually get used to the very worst ergonomic control mess imaginable, so I'm not sure that's much of an answer.  People used that justification for the laughably bad BMW controls for a loooong time.

Are you talking about iDrive specifically?

Online Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2021, 10:22:11 am »

Are you talking about iDrive specifically?

Yup - and that godawful Lexus clicky mouse thing is another example.  But irrespective of one's thoughts on a given set of controls, "you can eventually get used to it" is less preferable than "simple and intuitive", IMO.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2021, 10:32:06 am »
I think iDrive was initially lamented because it was such a radical departure from how car settings were controlled but with the features that cars started to have back in the early '00s it made sense to have that sort of a UI for many settings, particularly those that are touched infrequently or even just once. BMW at least kept physical controls for HVAC, heated seats, etc. I've owned cars with three generations of iDrive and it certainly improved a lot over the years but even the older version in my 3-series is pretty good. It's primarily used to switch between Bluetooth audio and the radio and it's infinitely better to have a physical controller over a touchscreen.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2021, 10:33:26 am »

i know...as i said, i would still prefer knobs/dials...but it hasn't been "as bad" as i was worried it might be...the rest of the vehicle is still very good, so i'm still happy with it overall.

Online PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #238 on: November 03, 2021, 10:57:36 am »
It's not just having good buttons. The RX has great physical buttons, but the climate control has most unintuitive collection of hieroglyphs short of some European washing machines

And never mind the other collection of buttons designed to be easily seen by the left knee

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 03, 2021, 11:00:37 am »
Agreed on the new interior with haptic everything.   It seems like they wanted something different for the sake of being different.   

It's a shame because the Mk7 interior is the model of functional simplicity.  It might be a bit boring looking but everything is intuitive and easy to access and I think it will age well.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2021, 11:02:12 am by tortoise »