Author Topic: 2022 Honda Civic  (Read 64895 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: 2022 Honda Civic
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2021, 10:38:06 pm »
i don't mind the looks, but nothing really stands out and makes me want one though.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2021, 12:02:47 am »
Exterior looks pleasant. Interior looks inspired by Audi/VW (good thing). Improved structurally (more rigidity, etc.). Was hoping for updates to the engine considering oil dilution issues. I am curious to see how it drives.

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 30, 2021, 08:00:29 pm »
I'm impressed with what comes standard on the base LX, such as heated front seats and auto climate. Of course, all the safety junk is bundled in but honestly, seeing how ppl drive, it may not be the worst idea. Oh, and it's great port injection is back!

Port injection ? Are you referring to the 2 litre base engine. It was always port injected.

Now the 1.5 that is a different story.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2021, 08:19:19 pm »
I'm impressed with what comes standard on the base LX, such as heated front seats and auto climate. Of course, all the safety junk is bundled in but honestly, seeing how ppl drive, it may not be the worst idea. Oh, and it's great port injection is back!

Port injection ? Are you referring to the 2 litre base engine. It was always port injected.

Now the 1.5 that is a different story.

Here I was referring to port injection as a trend. It seems not that long ago every MFG was jumping on the GDI bandwagon and was ecstatic about it. So it's just good to see port injection coming back in newly released cars. Since we're on this topic, besides Toyota, who else uses dual injection in their base, mass produced engines? 
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +23/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 VW GTI, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #124 on: May 02, 2021, 11:32:05 am »
The back end looks like a copy of the current VW Jetta. The bad news is that the CVTs have taken over completely. We had 2 leased Civics, a 2016 LX and a 2017 Touring. Replaced the 2016 LX with a 2020 VW Jetta Highline last year and replaced the 2017 Touring with a 2021 VW GTI Mk 7.5 a few days ago. I wanted a GLI but they are totally out of stock in Ontario and Quebec. I suspect the next deliveries of the Jetta will be the 2022 model year vehicles. The Civic which was a car with some personality  in decades past is now just meh... Honda must give the Civic Si an automatic/DSG option. I don't know why Honda cannot give the option of the 10 speed unit found in the Accord. And the oil dilution issue with the 1.5 liter turbo while it did not impact me personally created uncertainty about the engine's reliability. The 1.5 liter engine is good on power and I suspect that it under-rated in it's Civic iteration of 174 hp but mating it to the CVT just kills the whole experience, the droning and the engine just sounds unpleasant. So I am glad I did not wait for the new Civic. 

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #125 on: May 02, 2021, 11:53:11 am »
The back end looks like a copy of the current VW Jetta. The bad news is that the CVTs have taken over completely. We had 2 leased Civics, a 2016 LX and a 2017 Touring. Replaced the 2016 LX with a 2020 VW Jetta Highline last year and replaced the 2017 Touring with a 2021 VW GTI Mk 7.5 a few days ago. I wanted a GLI but they are totally out of stock in Ontario and Quebec. I suspect the next deliveries of the Jetta will be the 2022 model year vehicles. The Civic which was a car with some personality  in decades past is now just meh... Honda must give the Civic Si an automatic/DSG option. I don't know why Honda cannot give the option of the 10 speed unit found in the Accord. And the oil dilution issue with the 1.5 liter turbo while it did not impact me personally created uncertainty about the engine's reliability. The 1.5 liter engine is good on power and I suspect that it under-rated in it's Civic iteration of 174 hp but mating it to the CVT just kills the whole experience, the droning and the engine just sounds unpleasant. So I am glad I did not wait for the new Civic.

If I was looking at a Civic, the only way I'd consider it would be 2.0NA with a manual.  From the sounds of manual might not even be offered? 

Oh Well.  I think the Mazda3 is still the one to get in this segment anyway. 

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-239
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 02, 2021, 02:27:06 pm »

If I was looking at a Civic, the only way I'd consider it would be 2.0NA with a manual.  From the sounds of manual might not even be offered? 

Manual in the Hatch, SI, and Type R.

Apparently, that  CVT, is one of the best on the market for how it responds to the throttle input from the driver.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 02, 2021, 02:43:41 pm »

Manual in the Hatch, SI, and Type R.

Apparently, that  CVT, is one of the best on the market for how it responds to the throttle input from the driver.

I personally found the Honda CVT a better fit with the NA 2.0 liter in the Civic LX. Something about the un-pleasant noise even at relatively low revs in the 1.5 liter turbo make it an off putting experience. The same engine/CVT combo in the Accord was a much better experience although in my case it was limited to a test drive when I was exploring the Accord as an option in 2017 - ultimately decided on the Civic Touring. I wonder if the sound insulation in the Accord is better? With the NA 2.0 liter found in the Civic LX the engine note and timbre is better suited to the typical CVT characteristic of holding RPMs constant while vehicle speed builds up, much less intrusive and far better sounding. And yes, even in terms of throttle response the CVT seemed to perform better with the 2.0 liter NA engine vs the 1.5 liter turbo or maybe the un-pleasant sounds coming from the engine made it seem that I was waiting forever for the engine to respond :)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:47:25 pm by warp »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #128 on: May 02, 2021, 02:50:16 pm »
How are the Honda CVT's holding up generally? I don't mind the way they drive, but when I was digging into HRV's I ran into too many stories of their CVT's going boom in a Nissan kind of way

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2021, 02:52:46 pm »
How are the Honda CVT's holding up generally? I don't mind the way they drive, but when I was digging into HRV's I ran into too many stories of their CVT's going boom in a Nissan kind of way

No CVT issues with either of the two Civics we had in the 4 years, but then neither vehicle did more than 25,000 kms each during their entire 4 year lease period. So I have no idea how well they will hold up over a longer period or with higher mileage.

Also, are CVTs repairable and/or how is the market in general for getting used CVTs to replace your unit if it does go boom...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:55:06 pm by warp »

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12389
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2021, 03:43:06 pm »
High dosage visual Valium.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 02, 2021, 06:19:01 pm »

No CVT issues with either of the two Civics we had in the 4 years, but then neither vehicle did more than 25,000 kms each during their entire 4 year lease period. So I have no idea how well they will hold up over a longer period or with higher mileage.

Also, are CVTs repairable and/or how is the market in general for getting used CVTs to replace your unit if it does go boom...

From the bit of reading I have been doing it says you should keep up  the maintenance on the CVT. Apparently you should change the fluid often.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #132 on: May 02, 2021, 06:20:18 pm »

From the bit of reading I have been doing it says you should keep up  the maintenance on the CVT. Apparently you should change the fluid often.

CVT fluid is expensive, too.  Cost me $400 to do a CVT service on my Altima at a Nissan dealership.  I think most of that was the fluid itself.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #133 on: May 02, 2021, 07:07:42 pm »

CVT fluid is expensive, too.  Cost me $400 to do a CVT service on my Altima at a Nissan dealership.  I think most of that was the fluid itself.
I wonder if the price has come down because of how common CVTs are nowadays.  Just looked up how much the fluid is for our RAV4 Hybrid with a CVT on Rockauto.  Looks like $40 for 5 litres, that’s not too bad, but don’t know how much it would take.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:10:58 pm by JohnnyMac »

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 02, 2021, 07:16:08 pm »
^^ just did a quick search for Honda CVT fluid . About 25 dollars a litre.

I performed a couple of drain and fills on my Civic with the 5speed automatic .The price escapes me now but I don't think  it was that much.

Apparently it should be changed at 40,000 km intervals . https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/cvt-fluid-change.10395/#:~:text=The%20only%20thing%20I%20found,change%20it%20every%2025%2C000%20miles.

That doesn't seem too bad as long as the tranny holds together. ;D
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 07:22:57 pm by Seafoam »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2021, 07:32:34 pm »

I wonder if the price has come down because of how common CVTs are nowadays.  Just looked up how much the fluid is for our RAV4 Hybrid with a CVT on Rockauto.  Looks like $40 for 5 litres, that’s not too bad, but don’t know how much it would take.

Toyota's Hybrid "CVTs" are not really CVTs in a sense they are mechanically very different from what is used in non-hybrid CVT cars. In any case, IMHO it's not a good idea to cheap out and use an aftermarket fluid no matter how inexpensive it may be.
https://www.amazon.ca/Toyota-00289-ATFWS-Automatic-Transmission-Ounces/dp/B07BZ2HZ6W
Lots of guides online on how to replace it, much easier in Toyota hybrids than most other trannies:
https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=105542.0

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2021, 09:14:58 pm »

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2021, 09:16:10 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfNs16syGNM

video preview.

Carryover engines, carryover CVT. So the Civic is now a more refined version of the Nissan Sentra, the Hyundai Elantra and the Kia Forte, all of which are qualitatively inferior versions of the Toyota Corolla which is a FWD version of the AWD Subaru. All designed and engineered to the Lowest Common Denominator.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 14, 2021, 11:08:13 pm »

video preview.

Carryover engines, carryover CVT. So the Civic is now a more refined version of the Nissan Sentra, the Hyundai Elantra and the Kia Forte, all of which are qualitatively inferior versions of the Toyota Corolla which is a FWD version of the AWD Subaru. All designed and engineered to the Lowest Common Denominator.

It's a business model that works, and has work for Honda for the last 14 years. It is really what the majority really wants, which is trouble free motoring at decent lease price. Nout wrong with that. 

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 15, 2021, 10:32:18 am »

video preview.

It's a business model that works, and has work for Honda for the last 14 years. It is really what the majority really wants, which is trouble free motoring at decent lease price. Nout wrong with that.

For the average consumer brand loyalty is largely a function of reliability and here Honda is on solid footing despite some mishaps over the last few years. For the enthusiast, brand loyalty is also a function of some leading edge driving characteristic or function or technology or all of them and this respect Honda has morphed into into any of the other Japanese or Korean automakers. We have leased/owned 3 Accords and 2 Civics over the last 20 some years. And now for the first time in the last 2 decades there is no Honda vehicle with us. The 1998 top spec Accord that I had with the 5 speed manual was head and shoulders above the meh competition such as the Camry or the pre 2002 Nissan Altima. The current Accord is lost in that sea of mediocrity with the caveat that the drivetrain for the 2 liter Accord even the 10 speed is not bad, it is let down by it's size and styling. But hey, as you said it seems to be working for Honda so far, overall brand loyalty is still strong.

The clearest indication that enthusiasts are a dwindling minority in the car buying universe is the lemming like rush towards generic CUVs.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:36:47 am by warp »