Author Topic: New rotors and pads  (Read 9700 times)

stodge

New rotors and pads
« on: August 20, 2020, 06:24:31 pm »
Post content deleted at request of original poster.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 10:22:30 am by autoTRADER.ca »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: New brake discs
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 08:17:20 pm »
it's likely fine...if you drive the car a bit, most of that should come off (provided it's located where the pads meet the rotor), which it likely is, hence the "weird noises" you mentioned...my car has been doing that too, since it's barely been driven since late March...after about 15 minutes of driving though, it's all quiet and they look more normal when i'm parked...after a week or so, provided it's rained, there's a bit of surface rust on the rotors again, but that's normal.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 09:21:38 pm »
The discs on the golf are shot too, not just surface. But I'm reluctant to replace them just yet as it's barely getting driven.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 12:21:46 am »
From the pics I don't see an issue but it's a pic.  Depends on brand of rotors and pads.  You replaced all 4?  What's your mileage?  I turned a 2015 over to my son and then he turned it back into Nissan (4 year/80K km lease) and the brakes were still good.

I still have a set of factory Maxima alloys taking space used in winter/no TPM.  If I was closer I'd give them to you. Always felt better in winter as it was wife's daily and I didn't need to stress about her curbing the wheels which she excelled at.  Nothing worse on a lease having to buy an expensive OEM alloy for a leased car.  On par with losing a FOB while snow blowing. :P :rofl2:

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: New rotors and pads
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 08:59:14 am »
when you replace the rotors, you can usually get "coated" rotors that help keep rust build up to a minimum...it's usually on the parts that don't come in contact with the pads, so the area where the pads touch can still get some surface scabs, but they typically come off after a bit of use.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: New rotors and pads
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 10:55:07 am »
The rotors that were put on here are basic non-coated rotors, so the part of the rotor that doesn't make contact with the pads will develop surface rust very quickly; it won't impact the performance of the rotors, but it does/will look unsightly, this is why a lot of people are now opting for coated/painted rotors. Beyond that, everything looks fine to me.

If the rust on the non-contact portions really bugs you, aesthetically, grab some paint (black or silver tremclad works great) and a brush and paint that area with a thin coat of paint. Just make sure you clean the area very well first with some Brake Clean to get any oil off it before you paint.