Author Topic: TH: 718 Cayman GT4 vs Boxster Spyder  (Read 5951 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Re: TH: 718 Cayman GT4 vs Boxster Spyder
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2020, 02:52:57 pm »
"The reason I've never bought one, is because I don't have the money."

:rofl2:

So what's this, $115K with maybe an additional $10K in options? For that sort of money I think I'd get an Evora Sport 410, or an Exige if I could find one. Lots of pros and cons when it comes to build quality, handling, specialness, practicality etc. YMMV

It's interesting when you step from a good car into a Cayman/Boxster and feel like you were in a boat before, there is still an element of that when you go from a Cayman/Boxster into an Exige. The Lotus feels truly like a race car for the road. Now some people might not want that level of involvement on a day to day basis, there is no relaxing. The Evora is the more relaxing choice.

But... are you comparing the "regular" Caymans to the Evora / Exige, or the GT4?  The GT4 is unlike any other Cayman I've driven -- it's on a whole new level of visceral bliss.  While I haven't driven the Lotuseses, I do have the Alfa 4C as the tiny, raw comparable, and as much as I love the 4C, I still, to this day hold the last generation Cayman GT4 up as the best car I have ever driven.  If the new one remains as raw, but offers more power, I'm sure I'd like it even more.
I've not tried the new GT4, but agreed. But the old GT4 is incredible.

Read a recent review of the new GT4. Author said best street car ever.

I've been following a series on a website making their own GT4 from a regular Cayman S. The idea really, really appeals to me as I love modding...and I'll never be wealthy enough to own a GT4.

That certainly appeals to me, too!  The best part would be building to exactly how you'd want it.  For me, I'd prefer it more of a sleeper without all the aggressive body splitters and spoilers, but with all the feel and fun of the GT4.
So basically a GTS version.....

How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2020, 10:31:39 am »

So what's this, $115K with maybe an additional $10K in options? For that sort of money I think I'd get an Evora Sport 410, or an Exige if I could find one. Lots of pros and cons when it comes to build quality, handling, specialness, practicality etc. YMMV

It's interesting when you step from a good car into a Cayman/Boxster and feel like you were in a boat before, there is still an element of that when you go from a Cayman/Boxster into an Exige. The Lotus feels truly like a race car for the road. Now some people might not want that level of involvement on a day to day basis, there is no relaxing. The Evora is the more relaxing choice.

But... are you comparing the "regular" Caymans to the Evora / Exige, or the GT4?  The GT4 is unlike any other Cayman I've driven -- it's on a whole new level of visceral bliss.  While I haven't driven the Lotuseses, I do have the Alfa 4C as the tiny, raw comparable, and as much as I love the 4C, I still, to this day hold the last generation Cayman GT4 up as the best car I have ever driven.  If the new one remains as raw, but offers more power, I'm sure I'd like it even more.

I've been following a series on a website making their own GT4 from a regular Cayman S. The idea really, really appeals to me as I love modding...and I'll never be wealthy enough to own a GT4.

That certainly appeals to me, too!  The best part would be building to exactly how you'd want it.  For me, I'd prefer it more of a sleeper without all the aggressive body splitters and spoilers, but with all the feel and fun of the GT4.

Not quite.   I like the GT4's stripped out interior.  Door-pull straps, racing buckets, etc. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2020, 10:52:51 am »

Not quite.   I like the GT4's stripped out interior.  Door-pull straps, racing buckets, etc.
Ok...so like an R model then.

Geez....  :)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2020, 11:49:54 am »
You can actually get the full buckets in the GTS.

I feel like the GTS is the sweet spot in the lineup. It's barely slower than the GT4 and it's significantly cheaper.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2020, 12:19:23 pm »

I feel like the GTS is the sweet spot in the lineup. It's barely slower than the GT4 and it's significantly cheaper.
The GTS trim levels are my favorite from Porsche.  It's always a good balance of performance and luxury.  I'd take a GTS over a GT4 any day of the week.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2020, 12:22:06 pm »

The delta is only $15 - $20 K. I know, only, but in Porsche land its only...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2020, 02:40:29 pm »

The GTS trim levels are my favorite from Porsche.  It's always a good balance of performance and luxury.  I'd take a GTS over a GT4 any day of the week.

True enough!