Author Topic: Stuck in middle of nowhere with a flat Runflat tire  (Read 15606 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Stuck in middle of nowhere with a flat Runflat tire
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2020, 11:31:01 am »
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that wheels should be no bigger than required to fit over the brake calipers. If you've got massive rotors and six-piston calipers, then by all means go ahead and run those 20 inchers. :thumbup:

I could go 16" on my GTI, and think a set of 225/50R16s would be great: functional, beefy look to them, and I think the performance would be more than fine with a Z-rated, max-performance summer tire. If I ever need to replace my summer rims (and tires at the same time,) I think I might do just that.

Still, it's 2020, and you'd have to be Rip Van Winkle to think that a 17" rim is "massive."  ;)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Stuck in middle of nowhere with a flat Runflat tire
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2020, 01:32:11 pm »
I have 15” winters on the wife’s 3 and could probably do the same with the summer tires too, but I like the design of the stock 16” wheels. My 5 needs 16” minimum due to larger brakes.

However, if I ever found the 19” R3 wheels that were optional on the RX-8 for a decent price, I’d so grab them for my 5. They will at minimum cost what I paid for my 5 so AirBalancer can finally make fun of me for real. They weigh less than 20 lb each though and look so good.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2020, 02:13:20 pm »
^^ Yep, it’s a totally normal tire. Can’t remember exactly, but some kind of all season mounted on an also normal steel rim. Nah, I’m not going to change it out. It’s more than adequate for the purpose.

Small cars with massive wheels strikes again.

I went through the whole thread again and can’t figure this comment out. You talking about my 17” rims? ???  :rofl2:

Of course not  ;D You are the exception as you know the tradeoffs and risks. It is the average Joe who has low profiles, will never take advantage of what the lower profile offers and then complains about constant tire/wheel damage. Not surprising since cash strapped governments can barely keep a smooth surface especially in areas where frost is driven deep in the ground. The manufacturers have sold Joes on the look of big wheels and rubber band tires. Average Joe too stupid to realize they would be much happier on a 65 or even 75 series profile.  ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2020, 04:28:50 pm »
Still, it's 2020, and you'd have to be Rip Van Winkle to think that a 17" rim is "massive."  ;)
growing up, subcompacts (Chevette, Rabbit/Golf, etc) had 13-14" wheels...the same vehicles today now offer 17"...that's quite a bit larger for a car that's basically the same size (at least in terms of class size)...back then, 15" wheels were considered "big".
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2020, 04:38:09 pm »
I can't think of the last time I've driven over a piece of debris, I tend to look far ahead and avoid any...

Same goes for potholes.  Maybe it's the Winnipeger in me

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2020, 05:09:59 pm »
growing up, subcompacts (Chevette, Rabbit/Golf, etc) had 13-14" wheels...the same vehicles today now offer 17"...that's quite a bit larger for a car that's basically the same size (at least in terms of class size)...back then, 15" wheels were considered "big".

Are you explaining this to me? ???

Yeah, I get it. I would have thought the Rip Van Winkle reference made that clear.  ::)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2020, 05:35:18 pm »
 :rofl2:

I remember the Protege5 with the huge 16" wheels wrapped in low profile 195/50R16 tires. Man those were hot.

Hm, this one is fairly clean...
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/bnc/cto/d/new-westminster-northeast-mazda-protege5/7153635075.html

Love this colour, a little scuffed up front.
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/cto/d/vancouver-2003-mazda-protege5-hatchback/7153971532.html

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2020, 12:02:05 am »

Are you explaining this to me? ???

Yeah, I get it. I would have thought the Rip Van Winkle reference made that clear.  ::)
i didn't catch your sarcasm, and i wasn't arguing or anything...just reminiscing of yesteryear's.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2020, 08:47:47 am »

Living in Montreal I have had at least 4 flats since around 2010. Three tires were blown thanks to potholes and one was due to hitting road debris on highway. in every single instance the sidewall of the tire was sliced open. So a plug kit and an air compressor would have done nothing.

Interestingly, the road debris I hit was a 6 foot piece of angle iron on the highway. Tire blew out and I was on side of highway with 4 or 5 other cars who hit the same item. I had my old Mazda which had a spare and I was on my way in 10 minutes.

^This, the one and only time I've hit road debris was on an highway interchange ramp that was under construction, don't even know what I'd hit, but it sliced the sidewall good. Was driving a Prius (presser) that only had a plug kit / air canister thing so I was stuck waiting for a CAA tow.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2020, 09:55:14 am »
BMW and Mini use nothing but  run flats now. One of the reasons I won't  consider BMW

Not true, some BMWs offer the option of non run flats.

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2020, 10:39:22 am »
I was only going by what the BMW sales guy told me when I was looking at them...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2020, 10:56:40 am »

Living in Montreal I have had at least 4 flats since around 2010. Three tires were blown thanks to potholes and one was due to hitting road debris on highway. in every single instance the sidewall of the tire was sliced open. So a plug kit and an air compressor would have done nothing.

Interestingly, the road debris I hit was a 6 foot piece of angle iron on the highway. Tire blew out and I was on side of highway with 4 or 5 other cars who hit the same item. I had my old Mazda which had a spare and I was on my way in 10 minutes.

^This, the one and only time I've hit road debris was on an highway interchange ramp that was under construction, don't even know what I'd hit, but it sliced the sidewall good. Was driving a Prius (presser) that only had a plug kit / air canister thing so I was stuck waiting for a CAA tow.

What do people do who are a good 3-4 hours away from a CAA service truck ? I guess wait.. Sask used to recommend carrying multiple spares if travelling the sparsely populated north. Now people have none but a pressurized can of slime. They are brave.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2020, 11:16:33 am »

What do people do who are a good 3-4 hours away from a CAA service truck ? I guess wait.. Sask used to recommend carrying multiple spares if travelling the sparsely populated north. Now people have none but a pressurized can of slime. They are brave.

So far, I have experimented only one bad tire puncture (pothole) with my Volt #2, CAA came shortly after but yes, I disagree with this mfg latest tendency to discard spare tire & jack. Last year after I bought Volt #3, I try to order online spare kit (tire & jack, strap to hold in place, etc) but I have been being us only kit thing... I thought doing my own buying parts separately but I haven't did it yet. I still have my Premier CAA 500km towing coverage because I also have a 20 years old Saturn but I never used CAA for that one.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:18:45 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2020, 11:22:43 am »
If you’re traveling in the middle of nowhere, yeah, it’s probably smart to throw a spare in the trunk.

As for having a spare and changing a tire on the side of a Montreal freeway? No, thanks. Even if I have a spare, I think I’d just wait for a tow truck. Not going to risk my life on the side of the freeway, with distracted morons texting as they whiz by at 120 km/h, six feet (hopefully!) from my ass as I change a tire.  :shake:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2020, 11:34:36 am »
If you’re traveling in the middle of nowhere, yeah, it’s probably smart to throw a spare in the trunk.

As for having a spare and changing a tire on the side of a Montreal freeway? No, thanks. Even if I have a spare, I think I’d just wait for a tow truck. Not going to risk my life on the side of the freeway, with distracted morons texting as they whiz by at 120 km/h, six feet (hopefully!) from my ass as I change a tire.  :shake:

That is a good point I would probably do the same. Actually I would drive it until the next exit or safe point. What is concerning is that many new vehicles don't even have the space in which to put a spare. I agree in an urban environment carrying one may not be necessary but it would be nice to have the option if ranging further afield. We lost a couple tires on a back road on Vancouver island and we had to send a pair of wheels by ferry to get new ones.That was a multi day stuck at the side or the road.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2020, 01:52:58 pm »
Yeah, I'm of the opinion that wheels should be no bigger than required to fit over the brake calipers. If you've got massive rotors and six-piston calipers, then by all means go ahead and run those 20 inchers. :thumbup:

I have huge rotors and 6 piston calipers, I run 18" wheels for the improved ride and safety.

I sold the 22" summer wheels it came with to a friend, within 2 years he had cracked one.
Mr Pickypants

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2020, 02:23:36 pm »
The new 2021 911 Turbo S comes with 420 mm (16.5 inches) rotors and 10 piston calipers.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2020, 02:53:36 pm »
The new 2021 911 Turbo S comes with 420 mm (16.5 inches) rotors and 10 piston calipers.
yea...i've seen a couple of reviews of it...the carwow guy did a 2.55 0-60 in it...it's bananas fast.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2020, 05:56:39 pm »
Well, it’s Monday afternoon.

Is Ottawa still stranded at the side of the road, waiting for that tow truck to take him and his BMW to Montreal? ???  :rofl2:

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2020, 05:07:49 am »
I would guess that 50% of lugs nuts are on so tight rendering the factory lug wrench useless hence making the spare somewhat useless.  In the MDX lies a dedicated breaker bar with it's own deep socket.  If I'm taking the Mustang for a trip I take the breaker bar with me.  Otherwise the Mustang has a bottle of slime which never freezes and a 12V compressor.    I've had 3 screws in the Mustang in only 30k km oddly, but always made it back to base on fill ups.  Early TPS warnings have made that always possible.  Big fan of the TPS.