Author Topic: 2019 Toyota Avalon XSE vs Honda Accord 2019 Touring 2.0?  (Read 7147 times)

Offline Carguy99

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Honda Accord....Toyota Avalon XSE!!
Re: 2019 Toyota Avalon XSE vs Honda Accord 2019 Touring 2.0?
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2020, 04:02:13 pm »
Thanks for the replies looked at 2019 brochure did not say whether has it or not...then looked at a couple of youtube video's pretty sure saw the sensors on front bumper/grill .Looked at back bumper did not see them???Honda offers them as a add on accessory for 1,500+ ::) ::) :o not worth amount of cash to me!!! So I guess when things firm up for this deal this week will just ask the salesperson who is driving it to confirm yay or nay & if they charge what Honda does just will be careful about parking it...not that I'm not now,LOL!!Thanks for all your help pic's soon!!! Looking forward to picking it up this week!!!

I chose the Avalon XSE over the Accord due to the following reasons: 1)Avalon has a better balanced ride/handling equation for me while you feel the big bumps(a given with 40 profile tires) it just seems the damping effect in the suspension is better in the Toyota. 2) the fact that it is not a Turbo in the long run(6+ years) means more longevity for the 3.5!!!3)Sticking with the engine the fact that Toyota has added both port & direct injection makes the likelihood of carbon build up less likely to none at all!! The Accord is nice but has more complexly than the Toyota overall that is why picked the Toyota as I've stated more things to go wrong & those things are not "cheap" to fix out of warranty!!!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2020, 12:01:11 am »
the 3.5L V6 engine in the Toyota is as durable as an anvil...do your regular maintenance and that engine is good for 500,000 kms easy.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Carguy99

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2020, 12:15:08 am »
the 3.5L V6 engine in the Toyota is as durable as an anvil...do your regular maintenance and that engine is good for 500,000 kms easy.

Hey Dirtyjeffer: That is funny the anvil part as thinking of calling it that!!Yes I call my cars names(mostly in good ways)!!! ;D ;D. But yes heard that is quite possible with that motor!!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2020, 09:38:38 am »

Hey Dirtyjeffer: That is funny the anvil part as thinking of calling it that!!Yes I call my cars names(mostly in good ways)!!! ;D ;D. But yes heard that is quite possible with that motor!!

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2020, 09:50:44 am »

honestly, i got that line from rrocket...but it's a good one, because that engine is bulletproof.

Offline Carguy99

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2020, 04:41:40 pm »
Hi: Finally got the car yesterday!! Will post thoughts & pics real soon....drove home from Toronto to London noticed the car was very quiet & smooth without feeling "floaty" what so ever!!! used according to the gas gauge quarter of a tank.....has not had a oil change yet(was a demo) has 12,500kms on it going to get a oil change done in the next 7 days!!I've spoken to a couple of friends who have Honda Civics 2018/19 both have had to replace their A/C units(compressors) so sadly something not good is going on with Honda it seems!!!The seats are very comfortable too.So there is a very quick report....more feed back & pic's to come!! Everyone stay safe & well!!!: :) :)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2020, 07:03:22 pm »
kind of surprised the dealer didn't change the oil for you...it may not need it for a few more thousand kms, but it would be nice to have fresh oil in there for the new owner so they don't need to bother with an oil change for a while...an oil change is only $45 so it's not like they're giving away the farm.

Offline Carguy99

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2020, 07:17:01 pm »
Yeah was a little surprised too....but getting a total of 10,300 off the price(was a demo,plus the cashback) they likely weren't going to offer it. On a positive note the salesperson was very honest as talked me out of tire & rim protection as the ECP Toyota warranty includes road hazard( so would only be looking at the rims(know they are not cheap!!!) for the 1st 3 years(not putting 50k over the 3 yrs)!!!Going to look at interior protection....can anyone suggest a product that a ok DIY use or given planning to keep "Anvil" :rofl: a very long time a shop in the London area that is good??Thanks

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2020, 07:50:06 pm »
Toyota recommends oil changes at 16,000 km now
https://www.toyota.ca/toyota/en/owners/maintenance-schedule

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2020, 08:22:01 pm »

I'd feel better changing the factory oil earlier than that.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2020, 08:43:53 pm »

Same here, especially the first oil changes !!
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2020, 09:27:23 pm »

Same here, especially the first oil changes !!

All depends on how long you're planning to keep the car (congrats BTW on a great choice!)
1. Indefinitely long: In case of dealer service (they will change oil every 16k) I would do intermediate DIY oil changes every 8k as well, just oil, filter remains, all you need is ramps and some spare time. In case of an indie garage - every 8k with a new filter, and keep receipts. Only use a genuine Toyota filter. You can find it online from either Scarborough or London toyota, or for a bit more at the counter.
2. 5 years or so: see the dealer every 8k if you make too much or at least every 16k for oil changes. Yes, you can ask them to do just the oil+filter change. This way they won't be likely to deny your warranty if something goes wrong with the engine.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 09:32:08 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2020, 09:39:45 pm »
Yeah was a little surprised too....but getting a total of 10,300 off the price(was a demo,plus the cashback) they likely weren't going to offer it. On a positive note the salesperson was very honest as talked me out of tire & rim protection as the ECP Toyota warranty includes road hazard( so would only be looking at the rims(know they are not cheap!!!) for the 1st 3 years(not putting 50k over the 3 yrs)!!!Going to look at interior protection....can anyone suggest a product that a ok DIY use or given planning to keep "Anvil" :rofl: a very long time a shop in the London area that is good??Thanks
Just get a quality detailing product and apply by yourself as needed.

I like Poorboys Natural https://carzilla.ca/collections/brand-poorboy/products/poorboys-world-natural-look-dressing-16oz

If you want something exclusively for leather, try their Leather Stuff.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2020, 06:15:01 pm »
Did you get the ECP Toyota extended warranty?  Reason I ask is we just bought a Rav4 Hybrid and bought the extended warranty and because we bought the warranty we also got 3 years of maintenance included.  Figured it was a promotion across Canada.

Offline Carguy99

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2020, 11:12:18 pm »
Did you get the ECP Toyota extended warranty?  Reason I ask is we just bought a Rav4 Hybrid and bought the extended warranty and because we bought the warranty we also got 3 years of maintenance included.  Figured it was a promotion across Canada.

Yes took the 84 months 120000kms ECP plan so got the 3 years of oil changes going to try to get one done this weekend!!IMHO can not understand why some people only do 1 only change per ....I know Toyota says you do not "need" to do more but in my case I do alot of city driving  & short trips which is hard on the car period.But even if did more balanced driving would still get 2 oil changes done per year.....you've just spent a nice chunk of change on a car...but then over say 7-10 years your going to try to "save" the 700-800 dollars on those extra maintenance items do not get it but each to their own ideas!!

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2020, 09:18:51 am »
I change my oil every time I swap the winter tyres on/off; hopefully that's sufficient.

It is for me as I travel 5-6k kms between tire swaps.