Author Topic: Can I afford an Audi?  (Read 11879 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: Can I afford an Audi?
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2020, 09:44:03 am »
I've looked at fast/expensive Audi's before, and this pic scared the crap outta me!

Look at all those plastic guides!

:rofl2:

reminds me of the guides in the Mits 2.6L I4 from way back...the metal guides had a plastic/teflon type coating on them...when it wore off, the chains rubbed directly on the metal guides, which caused them to get noisy (time to replace)...if you didn't replace them, it likely wouldn't be long for a boom.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2020, 10:10:18 am »
Panamera would be a good choice if you get something on the tamer end like a Panamera 4 with the 3.6 V6. The GTS and Turbo models need deeper pockets to run. Probably a really nice highway cruiser. You also get the added versatility of a hatch with folding seats (if that matters at all to you).

Some object to the styling, but I don't mind it. I think they freshened the styling around 2013/2014 to make it a bit cleaner looking from the rear. If I didn't need an SUV and had the choice between Panamera and Cayenne, I would go Panamera. Way more Cayennes on the road. Panamera is much rarer. They were very expensive when new.

Audi A7 falls along those lines too.

Really nice driver.

Yep for sure. The Audi is probably 80% of the Porsche, for a lot less. The Porsche brand prestige definitely brings added cost.

Does it though?

And how does Panamera reliability compare to Audi A7/8? It might be worth spending a little more upfront for less trouble later.

I've looked at fast/expensive Audi's before, and this pic scared the crap outta me!

Facking stupid. Planned ticking time bomb after warranty.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2020, 01:24:38 pm »
“Plastic” doesn’t have to be something brittle and cheap like a kid’s toy from China.

“Plastic” can be any kind of high-tech polymer, and be perfectly suited to the job. My dirt bike has a “plastic” (some kind of Teflon block) chain guide, and that thing is bulletproof. And it hangs down below the swingarm and is constantly pelted with rocks and mud. What else would you make it out of that would be better than “plastic?”

Yeah, that engine is complicated, and possibly a maintenance nightmare, but that’s got nothing to do with what the chain guides are made of.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2020, 07:16:06 pm »
Panamera would be a good choice if you get something on the tamer end like a Panamera 4 with the 3.6 V6. The GTS and Turbo models need deeper pockets to run. Probably a really nice highway cruiser. You also get the added versatility of a hatch with folding seats (if that matters at all to you).

Some object to the styling, but I don't mind it. I think they freshened the styling around 2013/2014 to make it a bit cleaner looking from the rear. If I didn't need an SUV and had the choice between Panamera and Cayenne, I would go Panamera. Way more Cayennes on the road. Panamera is much rarer. They were very expensive when new.

Audi A7 falls along those lines too.

Really nice driver.

Yep for sure. The Audi is probably 80% of the Porsche, for a lot less. The Porsche brand prestige definitely brings added cost.

Does it though?

And how does Panamera reliability compare to Audi A7/8? It might be worth spending a little more upfront for less trouble later.

That looks like the 4.2 V8 with the chains on the back. Known to have timing chain issues.

Porsche and Audi, like almost all Global auto manufacturers, do share engineering and development costs. For example, the 3.6 V6 in the Cayenne is the same VW sourced VR6 from the Touareg (3.6 V6 in Panamera is their own unit). The Cayenne is currently built at the Slovakia alongside the Touareg and Q7 and the Macan now has Audi sourced engines.

Having said that, you are probably correct that Porsche has higher standards/tolerances for quality. An Audi A7 was around $80,000 new. A Panamera 4, which is on the lower end of the Panamera range had a sticker around $115,000 to $120,000. That is a pretty big spread. And today, even looking at used examples, there is still a decent spread between the two.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2020, 07:37:20 pm »
Yeah, that engine is complicated, and possibly a maintenance nightmare, but that’s got nothing to do with what the chain guides are made of.
in the case of the Mits engine back in the day, it was a big reason why they failed...the complicated set up was certainly the challenge, but timing chain failures were "common" on those engines...now, a lot of it may have had something to do with it's rather unique design (no other mainstream brand was doing it like that), so people just didn't know.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #85 on: July 07, 2020, 12:52:57 pm »
“Plastic” doesn’t have to be something brittle and cheap like a kid’s toy from China.

“Plastic” can be any kind of high-tech polymer, and be perfectly suited to the job. My dirt bike has a “plastic” (some kind of Teflon block) chain guide, and that thing is bulletproof. And it hangs down below the swingarm and is constantly pelted with rocks and mud. What else would you make it out of that would be better than “plastic?”

I agree with the concept of what you are saying, but these engines have known issues, specifically with these guides wearing out. As FGC said, it's a bomb waiting to go off.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...