Author Topic: Can I afford an Audi?  (Read 11885 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Can I afford an Audi?
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2020, 08:43:38 am »
Been following this thread for a few days. Fairly silly to ask a bunch of strangers on what you should buy, unless there's a couple guys on here that are close friends? Like WTF do we know about you, your financial situation, family situation, etc, etc...? Maybe if you posted that you have a wife & 4 kids, we'd say... bad choice... but this random new thread really gives us little to go by.

So is that a yes or no to buying the Audi.  :rofl2:

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2020, 09:29:52 am »
Is there an expression saying: " if you have to ask you can't afford it" ?  ;)
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2020, 10:34:24 am »
Something on the fancy VW end of things, A3 and A4, maybe, the proper ones with the V10 and :censor:, no, run, run FAR FAR AWAY.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2020, 10:48:31 am »
Been following this thread for a few days. Fairly silly to ask a bunch of strangers on what you should buy, unless there's a couple guys on here that are close friends? Like WTF do we know about you, your financial situation, family situation, etc, etc...? Maybe if you posted that you have a wife & 4 kids, we'd say... bad choice... but this random new thread really gives us little to go by.

So is that a yes or no to buying the Audi.  :rofl2:

:laugh:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2020, 03:42:09 pm »

What's a poor sales guy to do who's going to be stuck on the road for hours at a time?
[/quote]

If a sales guy shows up in an A8 or LS I would think he charges too much. Get a proper luxury vehicle with a V8 - F150 or Ram!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 03:44:47 pm by erich »

Offline haven_seeker

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Buick
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2020, 05:32:29 pm »
This thread has had a lot of traction. Firstly, thank you for all the comments and suggestions.  :)

From where I left off...someone said MKZ, it's too small. Continental is the right fit and it's on my list, no one has one within 350km's of my geographical location. I'd love to try one, and I think it'd be a great catch. It's also very affordable second hand which I quite like, and the sound system blows most other systems away, without having to drop any extra dough...I just haven't found my way into the driver seat of one, yet, to confirm.  ;)

To Gurgie, there's some holes but I know we have a very smart bunch here due to the inherent topics at hand. I never mentioned I'm hauling kids, most people are figuring there's no kids in the equation....that kind of thing people here seemed to figure out quickly and are able to keep track of my wants/needs/desires. Any extrapolations in above posts are pretty much all true. I tried to provide a scope into where I'm at in the decision making process, without overloading information.

I've done a ton of reviewing myself and have developed a short list. I've done numerous test drives: cars, SUV's, and trucks.

The A8 surprised me; it truly caught me off-guard, grabbed my attention and slapped it around for about 20 minutes. Boastful? Surely. Affordable? Ehh. Comfortable? Mmmmmmmmmmmm that's the ticket.

It's a super capable one-seater.

And to the comment from erich about the sales guy showing up in an Audi - that is also top-of-mind. But hey, my first priority is being comfortable. If I have to stomach a few jabs about how much I charge, must be paying too much etc, that's part of the process. But I'm cognizant of it and it's also why I don't wear a Rolex at work...so good on you for bringing it up regardless.  :P

My boss wants me to get a truck, but ultimately I'm making the payments (diminutive car allowance provided mind you) and I'll be the only one stuck in it for 6 hours at a time, so...I feel like I have a pretty strong input on the matter. :P :P

I've been driving a truck for almost ten years and really miss having a car...a comfortable, quiet, car.  :'(

TripleBob: Did I mention the Lincoln is several cents cheaper?  :rofl:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2020, 05:34:25 pm »
This thread has had a lot of traction. Firstly, thank you for all the comments and suggestions.  :)

From where I left off...someone said MKZ, it's too small. Continental is the right fit and it's on my list, no one has one within 350km's of my geographical location. I'd love to try one, and I think it'd be a great catch. It's also very affordable second hand which I quite like, and the sound system blows most other systems away, without having to drop any extra dough...I just haven't found my way into the driver seat of one, yet, to confirm.  ;)

Where do you live?

Whitehorse?   :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2020, 05:38:31 pm »

And to the comment from erich about the sales guy showing up in an Audi - that is also top-of-mind. But hey, my first priority is being comfortable.

This can't be underestimated IMO if you regularly do long trips..or days in a car.  I had to drive 3.5 hours out of town a couple times a week...and a 10+ hour drive a couple times a month.

I've driven my Porsches, Supra and other sports cars on long road trips.  Not a problem (for me).  But when I got to my destination of a long road trip in my Lexus? I was still fresh as a daisy.  Was nice to be able to put a couple drinks and a sandwich in the on board fridge/cooler too!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 05:42:09 pm by rrocket »

Offline haven_seeker

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2020, 05:54:33 pm »

Where do you live?

NORTHERN Ontario. Far, far north my friend.  :shuffle:

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2020, 06:30:23 pm »

Where do you live?

NORTHERN Ontario. Far, far north my friend.  :shuffle:
What do you consider to be Northern Ontario , Moosonee 

Offline haven_seeker

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2020, 06:35:55 pm »

Most people consider Barrie to be north... and I am far removed from Barrie!!!  :rofl:

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2020, 06:51:30 pm »
I followed an A8 for a while on my way up to Fort McMurray last week. Don’t know where he started from, but it’s an 8 hour drive from Calgary on exceedingly boring and straight roads with 100 or 110 km/h speed limits. Seemed like we both had the cruise control set for around ten over.

My initial thought was that it was such a waste to be driving that car at that speed on that road. It really should have been on the Autobahn cruising along at a buck eighty.

But, now that I think about it, what the hell. I’m sure he was way, way more comfortable in there than I was in my clapped-out Cruze company car. If you’ve got the money (actual money, not just ability to make payments  ;) ), why not?

Personally though, if I were looking for a comfortable highway cruiser to rack up the solo miles, I think an Avalon would be plenty fine. Or a loaded A4 or maybe even A6 if I wanted to splurge.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2020, 07:06:15 pm »

Most people consider Barrie to be north... and I am far removed from Barrie!!!  :rofl:

Suck it up, buttercup!  Time for a road trip to find that dream car!!   ;D

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2020, 07:30:23 pm »
For me, Barrie is the gateway to the North.   :rofl:   
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2020, 07:42:58 pm »
Seems like the most northern Ontario Audi dealer is in Sudbury.

https://www.newsudburyvw.ca/en/inventory/used/vehicle/2017/audi/a8-quattro/3-0t/6073795

Is that the A8 you're lusting after?

Offline haven_seeker

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2020, 07:47:10 pm »

https://www.newsudburyvw.ca/en/inventory/used/vehicle/2017/audi/a8-quattro/3-0t/6073795

That is indeed the one. What a beauty. Not crazy about the fact that it's ANOTHER ALL BLACK Audi (just like that whole black Dodge Ram thing) but oh my, it's a dream to drive.  :bow:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2020, 08:00:02 pm »
Supercharged V6?
You should go for it. I think I would, almost. I'm sure there some discount to be had. They don't move many full sized luxury cars nowadays.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2020, 08:00:51 pm »

That is indeed the one. What a beauty. Not crazy about the fact that it's ANOTHER ALL BLACK Audi (just like that whole black Dodge Ram thing) but oh my, it's a dream to drive.  :bow:

So a drive to TO is too far to go?

Offline haven_seeker

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2020, 08:13:08 pm »

So a drive to TO is too far to go?

Far enough, but all the ones I see are in London/St Thomas...far south. And I ain't driving a Lincoln/Audi yet!!!  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2020, 08:19:42 pm »