Author Topic: The 5 Best and 5 Worst Automotive Brands for Initial Quality: J.D. Power 2020  (Read 1290 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
You may be surprised which brands are on top and which fell short.
Read more...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
The worst are not a surprise...the best though, Fiatsler, Chevy and Kia, really?!?!? But again, its the first 90 days of ownership, you really have to be a sketchy, backwoods kind of operation to not be able to screw a car together to hold for 90 days.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
My Volvo came  with non-working  On-Call which took two dealer visits to fix.  But nothing at all since.   There was a recall for the automatic braking.  I have no idea whether that worked or  works... not something you wan t to try!

My 2014 Audi had no faults in 5 years but it did have recalls.   

I suspect that my low mileage has something to do with this result.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12410
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
The worst are not a surprise...the best though, Fiatsler, Chevy and Kia, really?!?!? But again, its the first 90 days of ownership, you really have to be a sketchy, backwoods kind of operation to not be able to screw a car together to hold for 90 days.

Yes..... but...... a whole lot of brands did not do as well on that basic task as these did.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Yes..... but...... a whole lot of brands did not do as well on that basic task as these did.

I still don't get why Range/Land Rover is seen as a "premium" brand when it has the quality and reliability of a third rate chinese laptop.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Believe it's much less about what breaks and more about what is difficult to use:

Infotainment is most problematic category: Almost one-fourth of all problems cited by new-vehicle owners relate to infotainment. Top complaints include built-in voice recognition; Android Auto/Apple CarPlay connectivity; touchscreens; built-in navigation systems; and Bluetooth® connectivity.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-initial-quality-study-iqs

I know I was impressed with how easy to use the Uconnect system was in a Dodge Journey we rented.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
I have complaints about the Sensus entertainment system on the Volvo.  But.   it works and does what it says in the manual.    Not the same as a fault.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Believe it's much less about what breaks and more about what is difficult to use:

Infotainment is most problematic category: Almost one-fourth of all problems cited by new-vehicle owners relate to infotainment. Top complaints include built-in voice recognition; Android Auto/Apple CarPlay connectivity; touchscreens; built-in navigation systems; and Bluetooth® connectivity.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2020-initial-quality-study-iqs

I know I was impressed with how easy to use the Uconnect system was in a Dodge Journey we rented.

Thats idiotic, if one is too stupid to work the stereo, its not the cars fault. Why would they even have that on there as a category?!?!?! You not being able to access your text messages is not affecting the cars ability to operate.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile

I still don't get why Range/Land Rover is seen as a "premium" brand when it has the quality and reliability of a third rate chinese laptop.
Was just talking with another forum member about this.

My buddy has one of the supercharged ones...known for their failure prone tensioners.

Sure enough...failed at 90k. I was there the other day looking at the engine. Interference engine...one valve even went through..all the way through a piston. Can't rebuild it apparently due to the Nikasil cylinder liners.

Used engine cost him $15k...not a typo. The engines are junk after this happens...core charge was only $100 LOL. He didn't send in the cure because he thinks he can sell the supercharger for $100 and use the block to make a coffee table or something LOL

He's the same guy who has a nice side business of changing clutches in Lambos. They need to be done every 10k or so. And dealers want $25k to do it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 02:08:10 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
I have complaints about the Sensus entertainment system on the Volvo.  But.   it works and does what it says in the manual.    Not the same as a fault.

I agree. I think that is what they measuring though, problems from operating a crappy design

The higher end the vehicle, the more likely they will put the fan speed behind a couple menus then just have a knob that turns

Not just a problem with modern cars:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/11/20800111/us-navy-uss-john-s-mccain-crash-ntsb-report-touchscreen-mechanical-controls

A historical perspective:

https://www.wired.com/story/how-dumb-design-wwii-plane-led-macintosh/