Author Topic: Is this a good lease takeover?  (Read 3567 times)

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
Is this a good lease takeover?
« on: June 20, 2020, 08:55:55 pm »
Mrs. Railton was looking on Kijiji today for lease take overs for Kate.
She showed me this one, a BMW X30i with nice blue paint and leather. I thinks that's all for options other than tint.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/city-of-toronto/2018-bmw-x3-lease-takeover-465-56-month/1507596722?undefined
The finance details are attached.
The guy has $15k into it which drops his payment down to $465 or so. The residual looks high to me though at $28583
I went on BMW Canada this afternoon and plugged in the same numbers on a new x30i and the residual is down to $22637.
Does this seem like a good deal, I have no idea about FGC's?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Is this a good lease takeover?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 08:57:36 pm »
residual will only matter if you plan to buy it out.?

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 09:04:34 pm »
residual will only matter if you plan to buy it out.?
Exactly - would $28583 a good price for a 4 year old BMW X30i down the road?
My thoughts are that it would be high.
Railton

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2020, 09:20:44 pm »
Do you think this thing is worth $40,000 with taxes  ???
I new CX-5 would be better deal

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 07:53:47 am »
So you love your daughter...yet you're looking at an FGC?  WTF...secretly hoping for more weekend/private time with the missus eh?  "Sorry...I can't come home (tears, sobbing), that FGC won't stay running"...darn (snaps fingers  ;D ;))

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 09:34:04 am »
Lease deal aside, I always cringe at the thought of buying a basically new BMW for kid's first car. I understand the urge, but...

FYI a new corolla will lease out for $200 - $300 / month.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 09:45:05 am »
Lease deal aside, I always cringe at the thought of buying a basically new BMW for kid's first car. I understand the urge, but...

FYI a new corolla will lease out for $200 - $300 / month.

This is true. But if she’s grounded and has the discipline to be at the top of her class And go into medical school it’s a bit different IMO.

But yeah something like a CX-5 or a forester or something would be less “pretentious” if you subscribe to that.

She's not in medical school yet...

Getting a new car would be awesome enough, the BMW will be pretentious anyway you look at it :)

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 09:45:37 am »
The lease payment seems reasonable but the guy out seems a little high.

Like others I kind so struggle with the idea of getting a child such a nice vehicle.  But it's not my kid and if you can afford to do so why not I guess.

If it was me I'd likely get her a nice non luxury SUV and safe that extra money for a future gift for the kid, maybe a nice little sum to help with a down payment for their first house.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 09:52:39 am »
Ahhhemm...Mrs. Railton was just looking. ::) ;)
FWIW, I also don't think it a prudent idea...and I think his residual is too high..but I thought I would ask the members.
Before this it was suggested to look into US stuff again even though I told her it did not make any sense given the exchange. The only benefit being a larger pool of vehicles.
Happy Wife, happy life.
Railton
PS. Happy Father's Day all you Dad's out there.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:54:53 am by Railton »

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 12:50:23 pm »
Ahhhemm...Mrs. Railton was just looking. ::) ;)
FWIW, I also don't think it a prudent idea...and I think his residual is too high..but I thought I would ask the members.
Before this it was suggested to look into US stuff again even though I told her it did not make any sense given the exchange. The only benefit being a larger pool of vehicles.
Happy Wife, happy life.
Railton
PS. Happy Father's Day all you Dad's out there.

Yes you’re absolutely right and apologies, I momentarily forgot one of the golden rules!

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 02:12:51 pm »
IMO this is a very good deal for a very nice vehicle....

This package is about $58K MSRP new (without freight and PDI) so the residual is  about right IMO.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 03:36:52 pm »

This package is about $58K MSRP new (without freight and PDI) so the residual is  about right IMO.
I went to the BMW site yesterday and plugged in the same SUV, numbers and options though and I got and the residual is down to $22637. I guess it was the interest rate difference?
Railton

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2020, 07:27:26 pm »
Isn’t the residual a fairly arbitrary number that BMW is free to make up?

If they want to juice sales, just up the residual to lower the monthly payments. Maybe that’s what BMW did back in 2018.

Maybe they got burned having to take back too many vehicles with inflated residuals, so aren’t playing the same game today?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2020, 09:39:49 pm »

If they want to juice sales, just up the residual to lower the monthly payments. Maybe that’s what BMW did back in 2018.

Maybe they got burned having to take back too many vehicles with inflated residuals, so aren’t playing the same game today?

The whole residual game is interesting. Back in the 2000s it bit people in the ass. Volvo would set a high residual to keep payments low. Ford credit actually went out and bought residual insurance in the case that the residuals were over estimated. This residual insurance was packaged up and sold to retail mom & pop investors as some sort of income instrument. Very similar to the CDO debacle that brought down wall street (temporarily lol) in 2008.

Anyhow I leased my Volvo with a balloon payment lease. When the lease period was up the residual was 7-8k too high. However I was not allowed to buy it at a lower residual. It had to be traded in and appraised by Ford Credit. It was then sold to the dealer who sold it back to me as a CPO. I never took my plates off  ;D. The difference between the estimated residual and the actual trade in value was then claimed on insurance. My residual on paper was something like $37k. I bought it back for $29 IIRC.

Yeah kid in school? Do what you want but I would buy something cheap and safe and invest the rest.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2020, 10:13:10 pm »
Seems like a great lease deal but I wouldn’t bother keeping it at the end of the lease.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 07:42:19 am »

The whole residual game is interesting. Back in the 2000s it bit people in the ass. Volvo would set a high residual to keep payments low. Ford credit actually went out and bought residual insurance in the case that the residuals were over estimated. This residual insurance was packaged up and sold to retail mom & pop investors as some sort of income instrument. Very similar to the CDO debacle that brought down wall street (temporarily lol) in 2008.

Anyhow I leased my Volvo with a balloon payment lease. When the lease period was up the residual was 7-8k too high. However I was not allowed to buy it at a lower residual. It had to be traded in and appraised by Ford Credit. It was then sold to the dealer who sold it back to me as a CPO. I never took my plates off  ;D. The difference between the estimated residual and the actual trade in value was then claimed on insurance. My residual on paper was something like $37k. I bought it back for $29 IIRC.

Interesting, I didn't know there was that much negotiating room on the residual at turn in time.
Railton

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 07:54:35 am »

Interesting, I didn't know there was that much negotiating room on the residual at turn in time.
Railton

There isn't. That was an outlier and ~20 years ago.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 07:58:18 am »

I went to the BMW site yesterday and plugged in the same SUV, numbers and options though and I got and the residual is down to $22637. I guess it was the interest rate difference?
Railton

Actually, when I look at these numbers, they are not dissimilar to the what I paid for my 335. I leased for 4 years and my residual was ~$23,000. Price I paid was $55K but my interest rate was high at 4.9% (that's what you get for custom ordering a car).

Anyway, the market value of my car was higher than the residual when I bought it out. Not sure this really helps much here.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 08:11:23 am »

Railton

I believe that these days some leasing companies don't even allow you to purchase a vehicle after you turn it in, to avoid exactly this scenario.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 10:56:38 am »

Railton

I believe that these days some leasing companies don't even allow you to purchase a vehicle after you turn it in, to avoid exactly this scenario.

The step in between is the dealer negotiated buying the vehicle from the lease company as opposed to shipping the car to a centralized wholesale auction. I believe this still happens to this day if the residuals are out to lunch.

So ownership went: Lease Company (me leasing) > Dealer > Me.

* oh and it was 10 years ago , I am not that old.  ;D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:58:43 am by ktm525 »