Author Topic: Took delivery of car but didn't get receipt for payment....  (Read 2386 times)

Offline John

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-709
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota
I picked up my brand new Toyota a few weeks ago and paid for the whole thing in cash (other than the original $500 deposit which was on my Mastercard).  When I picked up the car I paid the balance with a bank draft which I handed over to the dealership.

I realized just today that I don't have an official receipt for the payment of the balance!  All I have is the yellow copy of the signed contract (which still shows the balance due after the $500 deposit) plus the carbon copy of the bank draft.  I never thought of asking for something that acknowledged "paid in full".

No worries, right? I guess the fact that they put my old licence plates onto the new car and gave me the keys could be considered proof of payment.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Took delivery of car but didn't get receipt for payment....
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 12:22:30 pm »
As shady as dealers can be, I would definitely be talking to the finance department for a proof of payment and a bill of sale stating "0" owed.
Lighten up Francis.....

ltruong

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 12:25:13 pm »
The bank draft should be retractable to their bank account but ya should ask for a paid in full.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 12:26:47 pm »
Good thing is you didn't pay in cash bills and have a proof of payment. But yes, for a piece of mind just ask for a payment receipt or an invoice with "paid in full".
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 01:06:59 pm »
Get some paper.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2020, 01:10:02 pm »
Wouldn't you need a bill of sale for registration?
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2020, 01:13:34 pm »
You would think but who knows? Alberta is weird, sometimes they fret over certain things but other things are very loose. My buddy walked in and just asked to register his  KTM 300 XC-W (2 stroke dirtbike) for the street. No problem and I am currently helping him install a light kit . ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2020, 02:34:39 pm »
Alberta is odd. They gave me all sorts of run around for my TR8 - eventually a sold it. Another time I had a bill of sale printed in crayon on the back of a cereal box for a Ford Tempo. No problem there.  ::)

Wouldn't the KTM need an out of province inspection to be converted to street use?

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2020, 02:52:18 pm »
No the KTM was sold in Alberta.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2020, 03:09:50 pm »
But was it every licensed for the street?

Offline John

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2020, 03:05:43 am »

The dealership did the registration on my behalf (I'm in Ontario).
In Ontario you do need a bill of sale to do a registration.  They did the registration a few days before I picked up (and paid for) the car.  So apparently it doesn't matter if you haven't paid for the car yet--the bill of sale used for registration can have an outstanding balance due.  Which implies that the registration/vehicle permit I have isn't proof of payment.  I think I'm going to go back and ask for receipt.

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2020, 07:31:24 am »

In Ontario you do need a bill of sale to do a registration.  They did the registration a few days before I picked up (and paid for) the car.  So apparently it doesn't matter if you haven't paid for the car yet--the bill of sale used for registration can have an outstanding balance due.  Which implies that the registration/vehicle permit I have isn't proof of payment.  I think I'm going to go back and ask for receipt.

This should turn out to be a routine non issue. No harm in asking for a receipt I suppose.

My last two Vehicle Purchase Agreements (you have that I assume?) don't have 'paid in full' or the like on it. However the wording under Acceptance of Terms (bottom right), if signed off by both yourself and the dealer representatives, along with the car in your name, IS 'paid in full'. The fact that they put it in your name earlier for convenience isn't part of the issue, because they control the car and can reverse the change if you didn't pay for it.     
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 07:34:20 am by dougjp »

Offline John

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2020, 09:34:59 pm »

This should turn out to be a routine non issue. No harm in asking for a receipt I suppose.

My last two Vehicle Purchase Agreements (you have that I assume?) don't have 'paid in full' or the like on it. However the wording under Acceptance of Terms (bottom right), if signed off by both yourself and the dealer representatives, along with the car in your name, IS 'paid in full'. The fact that they put it in your name earlier for convenience isn't part of the issue, because they control the car and can reverse the change if you didn't pay for it.     

Yes, I have the vehicle purchase agreement.

Thanks everyone for your responses.  I think on reflection I'll just let it go.  I'll just ask my bank to verify that the draft was cashed by the named payee.  I can't see contacting the dealership now and asking for a receipt.  I think if I asked him the salesman would say "You don't need a receipt.  We already transferred the ownership to you."

« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 09:37:34 pm by John »

Offline John

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 11:43:30 pm »
I asked my bank to check if the bank draft was cashed.  They got back to me after a few days and said it was indeed cashed, and that it can only be cashed by the payee named on it.  So I can forget about this now.

I had given it to the dealership on a Saturday and it was cashed the very next Monday.  Boy they sure didn't waste any time, did they?  ha ha.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 11:45:48 pm by John »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2020, 08:27:28 am »
I had given it to the dealership on a Saturday and it was cashed the very next Monday.  Boy they sure didn't waste any time, did they?  ha ha.
standard procedure for business (daily banking)...they've got bills to pay too...cash flow is king.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1227
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2020, 08:52:11 am »
 :iagree:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 09:41:26 pm »
But was it every licensed for the street?

Ok I understand. Most registries are lazy they just asked me if was street legal.   ;D