Author Topic: Dkaz's yet another prolonged tow vehicle buying adventure  (Read 14150 times)

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Dkaz's yet another prolonged tow vehicle buying adventure
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2020, 10:17:48 pm »
^^ You used to be able to get AWD, but only on the 1500s. Not much of a tow vehicle, IMO.

And now they’ve discontinued the 1500s entirely.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2020, 10:28:34 pm »

I wonder why you don’t see more of these towing?

My guess is the lack of AWD/4WD and most won't spend the moula on a dedicated tow vehicle, and they won't use it as a daily/family hauler because, well, full size vans ain't hip. 
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2020, 10:48:42 pm »
I've never seen any good implementation of cylinder deactivation and don't know why they keep trying.

Agreed.

Ram's V6 with eTorque might be ok.

Be interesting to have one for a week.  Essentially the truck is going to be a urban ppl mover with the odd tow trip so not out of the question. Love sitting a lights for minutes without any ICE and starting off without the typical bendix type stop/start system which are pure crap. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2020, 12:05:17 am »
∆∆∆ Pentastar is a really good motor, too.  Likely Chrysler's best.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #104 on: June 04, 2020, 08:27:28 am »
My guess is the lack of AWD/4WD and most won't spend the moula on a dedicated tow vehicle, and they won't use it as a daily/family hauler because, well, full size vans ain't hip.
i used to rock a full size van back in the day...it was an early 80s Chevy...it was my dad's old van he used for towing his race car to the track every week...primer brown with a 350 V8...the thing was a tank...put a couch in the back and my big stereo system in it...the van wasn't worth anything, but i had it for about 2 years and only put gas in it (and a few oil changes).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 04, 2020, 08:45:15 am »
Could probably find a gently used one that was owned by a church.  :P

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #106 on: June 04, 2020, 08:55:06 am »
I sold my Sequoia because it was too big and used too much gas. So naturally you guys think I should go bigger with a full size van. This forum doesn’t disappoint, lol.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #107 on: June 04, 2020, 09:03:06 am »
You need a proper tow vehicle.... why you would own a travel trailer that large without a way to transport it whenever you want is incomprehensible to me  :banghead:

Wouldn't the tow vehicle just sit 90% of the time & not get daily driven? If so, then who gives a flying :censor: how much fuel it uses? Use the scooter for most of your daily commuting and you're fine  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 04, 2020, 09:08:07 am »
You need a proper tow vehicle.... why you would own a travel trailer that large without a way to transport it whenever you want is incomprehensible to me  :banghead:

Wouldn't the tow vehicle just sit 90% of the time & not get daily driven? If so, then who gives a flying :censor: how much fuel it uses? Use the scooter for most of your daily commuting and you're fine  ;D

In that case I'd get one of the ecoboost F-150s. Keep the miles low (less chance of problems) and get decent gas mileage while towing.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 04, 2020, 09:10:20 am »
I sold my Sequoia because it was too big and used too much gas. So naturally you guys think I should go bigger with a full size van. This forum doesn’t disappoint, lol.

You also said it wasn't big enough to properly tow your trailer.  So, yes, we're recommending something bigger.  And, as Gurgie said, as long as you have another mode of transportation, who cares about daily fuel consumption? 

I've stopped caring about the fuel consumption of the Tundra, because now we have the Civic to drive around on a daily basis, and the truck only gets used when we need a truck.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #110 on: June 04, 2020, 10:44:47 am »
when you need to tow, you have to pay to play...it's part of the game.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #111 on: June 04, 2020, 11:11:31 am »
I said earlier. Selll the trailer, invest in hammocks and the world is your oyster.

Here is an almost brand new van. Sell the trailer and camp in this.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2020-chevrolet-express-2500-extended-cargo-van-500k-virtualy-new/1503167991

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2020, 11:14:34 am »
I said earlier. Selll the trailer, invest in hammocks and the world is your oyster.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2020-chevrolet-express-2500-extended-cargo-van-500k-virtualy-new/1503167991

You could camp in it down by the river!

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 04, 2020, 11:16:14 am »
You also said it wasn't big enough to properly tow your trailer.  So, yes, we're recommending something bigger.  And, as Gurgie said, as long as you have another mode of transportation, who cares about daily fuel consumption? 

I've stopped caring about the fuel consumption of the Tundra, because now we have the Civic to drive around on a daily basis, and the truck only gets used when we need a truck.

It didn't have the payload, not that it wasn't big enough. Size does not equal payload. Going over GVWR has legal ramifications especially in the event of an accident.

I sold my way of transporting it and now I just rent a way of transporting it. And I'll probably just rent until I figure out what I want, especially since all the used stuff seems to be inflated these days with competition from the USA. But as mentioned,

What's prompting this is part of me is coming to the realization that no matter how good of a motorcycle rider I become, sometimes we are unexpectedly at the mercy of the drivers around us. The video I saw of a guy on his bike waiting at a stop light when a truck came in diagonally at a good speed and pinned him against the truck in front of him. How do you even look for that? So maybe I should be a normal adult, mitigate risks to my life so I can stick around long enough to see my kids to adulthood, and think about going back to two wheels after that. It's not like I do a lot of riding just because these days anyway.

In that case I'd get one of the ecoboost F-150s. Keep the miles low (less chance of problems) and get decent gas mileage while towing.

The Ecoboost engines help with day to day fuel economy. But when towing, all the gassers seem to be about that 25 L/100km mark no matter the engine size or turbo. Even the Ranger does about that, but it would be super cheap on gas for day to day driving.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 04, 2020, 11:17:47 am »
It is not as fun but maybe rent a camping spot for each season and only move it once a year? (the trailer)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #115 on: June 04, 2020, 11:20:20 am »

You could camp in it down by the river!

or pay a little more and get this high roof Ford. Much better than the Danger Ranger!

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1494659264

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 04, 2020, 11:21:38 am »
Seasonal is definitely the way to go if you want to camp, but don't want to own a truck.  My brother just got a seasonal site this spring for his trailer.  He's in the process of selling his F-150.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 04, 2020, 11:24:07 am »
It is not as fun but maybe rent a camping spot for each season and only move it once a year? (the trailer)

We are considering that, but we'll look in October when things clear up a bit as everything is booked solid until then. My wife has mentioned wanting to have a stationary unit to AirBNB. I might grab a tent trailer again if that's the case.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 04, 2020, 11:31:57 am »
Yeah this year is odd as far as camping goes.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2020, 11:36:53 am »

We are considering that, but we'll look in October when things clear up a bit as everything is booked solid until then. My wife has mentioned wanting to have a stationary unit to AirBNB. I might grab a tent trailer again if that's the case.

Best part about Seasonal is you can make you site nice.  Build a deck, gazebo, nice big firepit, have a large supply of firewood, etc.  You can really make it comfortable, and a home away from home.  Kinda like a cabin, but cheaper.