Author Topic: Dkaz's yet another prolonged tow vehicle buying adventure  (Read 14167 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Ranger danger
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2020, 10:26:13 am »
Hmmm, Ford still can't figure out their cam phasers and timing chains, eh?  Tssk Tssk Tssk.

I wonder how the 3.5EB is doing?  It's been available since, what, 2012?  Should have a pretty good idea of how reliable it is by now...

Nope...apparently they can't.  Mine is going under the knife again, thank goodness for 2 yrs worth of warranty on the warranty replaced parts!  Not even 20-25,000 km and she's rattling like the rods are about to throw a fit.  Just for a second or so on cold startup...and not all the time...and of course not when I left it on their lot for 2 days.  Not even when I picked it up.  But every day since then...fack.  Parts are on order.  Should check my emails.  Hope they don't blame the Mobil1 filter...oh, that's not a Ford filter...direct cause and effect!! (BS)

Funny thing is, my bro bought a high km 2012 3.5EB - right around 200,000 - and that thing seems to run smoother and quieter than mine.  Hopefully I didn't steer him wrong - it's a $2-3,000 job or more to get it done.  Funny that the dealer was about half of the independent though.  How is that even possible?  Baffled, was I. 

Too bad the 5.0 is a shitty towing engine.  Can you tow with a supercharger??  Could be worth it to do that to a 5.0 and have sound and fury.  I'd like to update to an 18 or 19...with an EB...but they might still not have fixed the issues.  Maybe it's unfixable.

Also, to Dkaz...you live in the mtns, right?  I don't think, even though it can, that a Ranger and 24' of travel trailer is a good combination there.  Truck might be a little too small.

We towed out trailer with the wifes 5L F150, it didn't faze it. I'm sure the EB would have a more power, but I'm not sure if the drop in reliability is worth it. As for Dkaz, no way I would be looking at a downsize truck for your trailer, you would be better off doing a proper $5000 1/2 ton for towing and DD your scooters. Especially with all the hills and grades in BC. I'm not suggesting F450 or GTFO, but a 1/2 at worst.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2020, 10:29:52 am »
Hmmm, Ford still can't figure out their cam phasers and timing chains, eh?  Tssk Tssk Tssk.

I wonder how the 3.5EB is doing?  It's been available since, what, 2012?  Should have a pretty good idea of how reliable it is by now...

Nope...apparently they can't.  Mine is going under the knife again, thank goodness for 2 yrs worth of warranty on the warranty replaced parts!  Not even 20-25,000 km and she's rattling like the rods are about to throw a fit.  Just for a second or so on cold startup...and not all the time...and of course not when I left it on their lot for 2 days.  Not even when I picked it up.  But every day since then...fack.  Parts are on order.  Should check my emails.  Hope they don't blame the Mobil1 filter...oh, that's not a Ford filter...direct cause and effect!! (BS)

Funny thing is, my bro bought a high km 2012 3.5EB - right around 200,000 - and that thing seems to run smoother and quieter than mine.  Hopefully I didn't steer him wrong - it's a $2-3,000 job or more to get it done.  Funny that the dealer was about half of the independent though.  How is that even possible?  Baffled, was I. 

Too bad the 5.0 is a shitty towing engine.  Can you tow with a supercharger??  Could be worth it to do that to a 5.0 and have sound and fury.  I'd like to update to an 18 or 19...with an EB...but they might still not have fixed the issues.  Maybe it's unfixable.

Also, to Dkaz...you live in the mtns, right?  I don't think, even though it can, that a Ranger and 24' of travel trailer is a good combination there.  Truck might be a little too small.

We towed out trailer with the wifes 5L F150, it didn't faze it. I'm sure the EB would have a more power, but I'm not sure if the drop in reliability is worth it. As for Dkaz, no way I would be looking at a downsize truck for your trailer, you would be better off doing a proper $5000 1/2 ton for towing and DD your scooters. Especially with all the hills and grades in BC. I'm not suggesting F450 or GTFO, but a 1/2 at worst.

I'm not recommending a Tundra either, because I know the fuel economy is abysmal, and that's not what he wants.  But at least consider something like an older GM with the 5.3L (pre-AFM).  I'm retracting my recommendation for an F-150 with the 2.7L, unless he gets a newer one and doesn't keep it for too long.  But it sounds like the 5.0 is reliable enough, and I'm sure it has enough power for towing. 

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2020, 01:54:19 pm »
Let's not beat on Ford too much here.  The Ford V8 is a good motor with both PF and DI injection.  No insane cylinder DEACTIVATION.  GM's are now even more complex than the crap before it.  2020 Hemi MDS driving owners nuts with vehicle vibration at certain rpms.  Hard to take that if you suffer from engine and vehicle vibration OCD.

Good to see KAZ's bout of new vehicle fever is waning. Hold off until the new Tundra shows up and then blow the balance sheet up on one of those. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2020, 02:05:33 pm »
Lexus GX470? Porsche Cayenne?

I love the GX470 but the payload is a measly 1200 lb. Cayenne is interesting. Was off my radar and apparently off a lot of people’s seeing their used values.

And guys, no one is saying buy the biggest truck possible. But we do give a crap about a fellow forum member's safety, that's what everyone is here for, advice.

How is towing a 26 foot trailer weighing 5500 lb on the road with a 16 foot long 4200 lb midsize truck or SUV worse than towing a 43 foot fifth wheel weighing over 15000 lb with a 20 foot long truck weighing 7300 lb?

“Too little brakes” the trailer has brakes.

“Potential sway issues” I don’t go more than 100 maybe 110 more for fuel consumption reasons, plus I have a really good weight distribution hitch with anti-sway.

It is the trailer that is the outlier. Without that consideration then the choices are endless. Towing up to the limit (esp with large sail like trailers like a TT) with a relatively short wheelbase vehicle of freeways is not a good idea. Now if  just sticking to the 2 lane BC secondary highways where for the most part the speed limit is low and  speeding is enforced by confiscation then maybe.  ;)

Most highways in BC fit that description. I’m still wondering if Hwy 1 will be completely four laned before I hit the age of 70. Most trailer tires are L speed rated for 120 km/h anyway.

That’s a shame with EB. Maybe wait for Toyota’s hybrid Tundra.

I'm not recommending a Tundra either, because I know the fuel economy is abysmal, and that's not what he wants.  But at least consider something like an older GM with the 5.3L (pre-AFM).  I'm retracting my recommendation for an F-150 with the 2.7L, unless he gets a newer one and doesn't keep it for too long.  But it sounds like the 5.0 is reliable enough, and I'm sure it has enough power for towing.

I talked to my mechanic. He says Toyotas he sees the least issues with and GM as long as they’ve been well maintained. Ford has had plenty of issues, even the 5.0 which is better but not he’s had to replace engines on those.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2020, 02:19:22 pm »

And guys, no one is saying buy the biggest truck possible. But we do give a crap about a fellow forum member's safety, that's what everyone is here for, advice.

How is towing a 26 foot trailer weighing 5500 lb on the road with a 16 foot long 4200 lb midsize truck or SUV worse than towing a 43 foot fifth wheel weighing over 15000 lb with a 20 foot long truck weighing 7300 lb?

“Too little brakes” the trailer has brakes.

“Potential sway issues” I don’t go more than 100 maybe 110 more for fuel consumption reasons, plus I have a really good weight distribution hitch with anti-sway.

You do what you wanna do, I could care less. All I was saying is that there are some experienced people on here trying to help you.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 02, 2020, 02:21:48 pm »
Let's not beat on Ford too much here.  The Ford V8 is a good motor with both PF and DI injection.  No insane cylinder DEACTIVATION.  GM's are now even more complex than the crap before it.  2020 Hemi MDS driving owners nuts with vehicle vibration at certain rpms.  Hard to take that if you suffer from engine and vehicle vibration OCD.

Good to see KAZ's bout of new vehicle fever is waning. Hold off until the new Tundra shows up and then blow the balance sheet up on one of those.

I've never seen any good implementation of cylinder deactivation and don't know why they keep trying.

The Ranger's engine or transmission did seem jittery at times.

Ram's V6 with eTorque might be ok.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 02, 2020, 02:22:39 pm »
You do what you wanna do, I could care less. All I was saying is that there are some experienced people on here trying to help you.

:thumbup:

Failure is very much a part of success though. Experience means they've gone through setbacks.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Dkaz's yet another prolonged tow vehicle buying adventure
« Reply #67 on: June 02, 2020, 03:15:49 pm »
Re. that pic above of the giant trailer behind a 1-ton dually: people will always find a way to max out their tow vehicle.

This is how you do it right.  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 02, 2020, 03:19:08 pm »
Re. that pic above of the giant trailer behind a 1-ton dually: people will always find a way to max out their tow vehicle.

I concur, big boy engine, big boy tranny, big boy brakes and big boy wheels/tires. If we had a huge feckin 5th wheel I would totally look into one of them. An ISX15 600 Cummins engine will pull any RV up and down the mountains without breaking a sweat  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 02, 2020, 03:26:17 pm »

I wouldn't go so far as to say a semi is required, but yeah, that 1-ton Dually is maxed out.  People who pull triple axle fifth wheels like that will usually have F-450 or F550's (or Ram 4500/5500) with truckbeds on the back.  They look like regular pickup trucks, but the axles and suspension below the truck are much heavier than a 'normal' one-ton. 

Here is an F-450.  Notice the widened front axle.  It's got a commercial axle with increased track, and a 10-bolt pattern, able to run commercial wheels and tires.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2020, 03:27:20 pm »

I concur, big boy engine, big boy tranny, big boy brakes and big boy wheels/tires. If we had a huge feckin 5th wheel I would totally look into one of them. An ISX15 600 Cummins engine will pull any RV up and down the mountains without breaking a sweat  ;D

The Supra tuning shop I frequented had one for awhile (looked like that, but black).

Said it was a horrible POS. Was forever breaking down. Not sure if they just had a lemon.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2020, 03:29:37 pm »
Ugh, none of those qualify as camping anymore. People can argue my 26 footer doesn't either but it fits in most provincial campground spots.

If only I had the insight to buy a Cayenne manual transmission years ago when they were running for $10k-15k. They're easily going $20k, 25k US on Bring a Trailer now.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2020, 03:31:11 pm »
Ugh, none of those qualify as camping anymore. People can argue my 26 footer doesn't either but it fits in most provincial campground spots.

If only I had the insight to buy a Cayenne manual transmission years ago when they were running for $10k-15k. They're easily going $20k, 25k US on Bring a Trailer now.

I regularly see them in the 20s here with a manual..sometimes in the teens.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2020, 03:32:15 pm »

No,  It's not camping.  They're usually owned by full-timers, or snowbirds who spend 6 months living out of them. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2020, 03:41:00 pm »

There's one in Mississauga. 2012 too, I think the final year Cayenne came with a manual.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mississauga-peel-region/porsche-cayenne-6-speed-manual/1504015759

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2020, 04:40:46 pm »

There's one in Mississauga. 2012 too, I think the final year Cayenne came with a manual.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/mississauga-peel-region/porsche-cayenne-6-speed-manual/1504015759

Cayenne with stick? Oh yes!

Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2020, 04:54:05 pm »

LOL are you going to take revelations #gmfanboi word for the complete truth?

Here— CR recommends the Ranger but doesn’t recommend the Tacoma...much more credible source eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CR doesn't recommend the F-150...and yet you bought one...and recommend them.

So are they credible to you or not?
Bang head LOL

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2020, 04:56:44 pm »

LOL are you going to take revelations #gmfanboi word for the complete truth?

Here— CR recommends the Ranger but doesn’t recommend the Tacoma...much more credible source eh?

CR doesn't recommend the F-150...and yet you bought one...and recommend them.

So are they credible to you or not?
Bang head LOL

Whats that supposed to mean?? That you don't believe CR just in this case??

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2020, 04:56:53 pm »

The V8 is an oil hog...Tons of oil consumption issues out there, it is the least selling gas engine in the line up nowadays, so clearly pick up owners don’t give a crap

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2020, 04:59:52 pm »

The V8 is an oil hog...Tons of oil consumption issues out there, it is the least selling gas engine in the line up nowadays, so clearly pick up owners don’t give a crap

Or enough Ford fanboys are willing to gamble on a obviously unreliable EB by leasing.