Author Topic: '10 MINI Cooper S -- Too New a Car to Qualify as a Barn Find but....  (Read 5248 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: '10 MINI Cooper S -- Too New a Car to Qualify as a Barn Find but....
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2020, 09:01:35 pm »
As fun as they are... I'd be stupid wary of one... I'd go R53 still & hope for a good one. Bella's was great!! But she unloaded it before it became too much of a problem.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2020, 09:13:08 pm »
Higher mileage seems to uncover a lot of deep seeded problems. Corroded electrical system, for one. My BCM and rear washer pump never worked right, despite servicing and replacement. That is because of corrosion, due to bad design.

Yes, day at set of one is not much. But mine adds to many other data sets. Especially considering high mileage just brings out the gremlins, I would just go into the purchase with wide open eyes. You might be replacing parts often, and you will al.oat always have a list of minor issues to accompany the major one that finally brought you in for service.

But hey, the smiles per mile, as you know, are huge. However, considering you already have a turbo Mini, the R53 might be a better choice for unreliable pocket rocket as its character is very different from the turbo ones.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-404
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2020, 09:53:03 pm »
I mean, if we're talking about crap MINIs, this one is a bit more money but also might be in better shape...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/laval-rive-nord/mini-cooper-s-2010-146kms-manuel-4000-non-nego/1502652901
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2020, 03:27:42 pm »
I decided to pass on the car.  Barring a last minute plea from the owner for me to take the car from him gratis this car is now dead to me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2020, 03:28:51 pm »
I decided to pass on the car.  Barring a last minute plea from the owner for me to take the car from him gratis this car is now dead to me.
What was the deal breaker?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2020, 03:31:43 pm »
Minimum $2500 in repairs and the uncertainty that replacing/reprogramming the failed ECU arbitration module would deal with the majority of the 54 codes my OBDII reader pulled from the car.  Plus my MINI Countryman would've been jealous.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2020, 03:36:55 pm »
V8 swap and Painless aftermarket harness.  ;D

Probably the safest bet to walk (run) away.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2020, 04:15:04 pm »
How about some different but also German?

This is not at all a steal at the asking price but hey its only your money right?  ;D

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1959-isabella-borgward/1502811546

Paint it brown and you have brown, column shift manual, 2dr wagon.  8)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2020, 06:03:32 pm »
Minimum $2500 in repairs and the uncertainty that replacing/reprogramming the failed ECU arbitration module would deal with the majority of the 54 codes my OBDII reader pulled from the car.  Plus my MINI Countryman would've been jealous.

54?

I bet our TT isn't far off!   :rofl: :rofl2:  I'm scared to look!   :rofl: :rofl2:

IQ just texted me and said the AC decided to stop working today. 

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2020, 06:24:54 pm »

54?

I bet our TT isn't far off!   :rofl: :rofl2:  I'm scared to look!   :rofl: :rofl2:

Yup. Fifty-four. Might’ve been more. Serious about your TT? I feel that you may be posting on that regrettable FGC thread again....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2020, 06:34:43 pm »

54?

Yup. Fifty-four. Might’ve been more. Serious about your TT? I feel that you may be posting on that regrettable FGC thread again....

Dead serious.  And battery was stone cold dead after a 30 minute drive on Wednesday..IQ went to work...came out to dead battery afterwards......after being fine for several months.

Would make for a great track car....anyone??   ;D

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2020, 08:23:20 pm »

54?

Dead serious.  And battery was stone cold dead after a 30 minute drive on Wednesday..IQ went to work...came out to dead battery afterwards......after being fine for several months.

Would make for a great track car....anyone??   ;D
Text me.  Would like to know what codes it's throwing and what stuff you've done to it since you bought it.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2020, 09:07:43 pm »
How about some different but also German?

This is not at all a steal at the asking price but hey its only your money right?  ;D

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/1959-isabella-borgward/1502811546

Paint it brown and you have brown, column shift manual, 2dr wagon.  8)

Now that's a rare car on this side of the pond!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...