Author Topic: Motorcycle Gear Thread  (Read 11164 times)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
Re: Motorcycle Gear Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2021, 02:19:49 pm »
I have two textile jackets and one leather. The textile ones are best for warm weather due to the humidity, they vent so well.

But there's nothing like the snug fit of a good leather jacket IMHO. Only for Spring and Fall though.

Man your 'accessory' budget must be going through the roof!  :rofl2:
I had a leather that was perforated from waist to shoulder. Again...I'm old and this was before textiles were popular.

It was definitely a summer only jacket..Was too cold in the spring or fall.

Not sure if they even make them that perforated any more (apart from racing suits)...as that seems to be the realm of mesh textile these days.

Yeah, there are loads.

https://fortnine.ca/en/catalogsearch/result/?q=perforated%20leather%20jacket

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2021, 02:23:48 pm »
I looked into leather stuff and I just prefer the way the textile stuff moves. Sure, for track use, full leather body condom, otherwise, I'm good with textile.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2021, 02:55:26 pm »
I have two textile jackets and one leather. The textile ones are best for warm weather due to the humidity, they vent so well.

But there's nothing like the snug fit of a good leather jacket IMHO. Only for Spring and Fall though.

I always knew I'd be mad for gear. It's like a whole new avenue for clothing and shoe purchases has opened up.  :rofl2:

From a non-mc standpoint, I know that when it comes to cold weather wear, nothing stops the wind quite like leather. I figure that would be a plus on colder spring and fall days.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2021, 02:57:51 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2021, 03:03:04 pm »
I looked into leather stuff and I just prefer the way the textile stuff moves. Sure, for track use, full leather body condom, otherwise, I'm good with textile.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

That certainly seems a popular view just based on what I see other non-cruiser riders wearing.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2021, 03:09:22 pm »
.  And I assume for a MC jacket, the leather needs to be on the thick size for abrasion protection.  .

Not true.

Different types of leather provide different protection.

Kangaroo leather is very light/thin with outstanding abrasion resistance. Top shelf jackets and custom suits are made from this.

I had a set of race gloves made with goat skin.

Deer skin gloves are really nice balance of abrasion and lightweight. These are more water resistant than others.

Fair enough. I was thinking of bovine leather. I have Kangaroo leather gloves - can't say I fancy that material much for a jacket. I've got a deerskin bomber-style jacket that must be close to 35 years old and simply cannot be destroyed.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2021, 04:04:28 pm »

I always knew I'd be mad for gear. It's like a whole new avenue for clothing and shoe purchases has opened up.  :rofl2:

From a non-mc standpoint, I know that when it comes to cold weather wear, nothing stops the wind quite like leather. I figure that would be a plus on colder spring and fall days.

If I were you I'd get one non-perforated leather jacket that is a snug fit, with at least a layer or two on underneath. Then you'll be set for spring and fall.

Oh, and it also ensures you have to lose the xmas weight before each March.  :P

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2021, 06:31:53 pm »

If I were you I'd get one non-perforated leather jacket that is a snug fit, with at least a layer or two on underneath. Then you'll be set for spring and fall.

Oh, and it also ensures you have to lose the xmas weight before each March.  :P

Yeah weight loss motivation would be a real plus.  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2021, 08:46:52 pm »

Oh, and it also ensures you have to lose the xmas weight before each March.  [emoji14]

I'll add that if you go perforated buy a wind shirt.

The one I have packs down to the size of a golf ball (no joke).

If it gets too chilly, throw on the wind shirt and you're golden.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2021, 08:59:45 pm »

Oh, and it also ensures you have to lose the xmas weight before each March.  [emoji14]

I wouldn't go perforated - it defeats the natural wind blocking properties of leather and I have mesh textile jackets for when I want air flow. Wind shirts are actually pretty good for extending those mesh jackets into cooler temps.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2021, 09:08:58 pm »

I wouldn't go perforated - it defeats the natural wind blocking properties of leather and I have mesh textile jackets for when I want air flow. Wind shirts are actually pretty good for extending those mesh jackets into cooler temps.
I use a system similar to this

https://www.webbikeworld.com/season-motorcycle-riding-outfit/

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2021, 10:54:48 am »
Went out this morning for a short ride.  Temp was around 6 degrees and a stiff wind of 17 km/hr.

Seemed like a perfect excuse to wear my leather jacket for the first time (yes, I know, you're all shocked that I bought one  ;D).

This Helston's jacket pretty damned fab.  100 per cent wind block.  I could feel the wind pushing me - and damn hard that - but no cold seeped in anywhere that was covered by leather.  My arms and core were comfortably warm with just a wool base layer and a t-shirt underneath.  The jacket comes with a full-sleeve zip-out thermal liner, which I hadn't installed for this ride.  As I wasn't close to needing it, I kind of doubt I ever will - because if it's much colder than this, I 'aint riding.  I'm no motorcycle gear expert, but just judging this thing as a garment it is like SUPER nice.  Easily the best quality leather I've ever owned on a jacket - thick but very supple.  I'll absolutely yank out the armor and just wear this around in the winter.

I did discover that at this temp, a neck tube warmer thing is a must.  :o Thought I was going to get frost bite of the Adam's apple. Live / learn.

The bad news on the gear side - even with winter MC gloves, my fingers were feeling it after about a half hour.  :-[  Heated grips go on in the spring - that's for damned sure.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2021, 11:04:12 am »
Ice racing hand muffs and heated grips and you will be good down to -30C  ;D

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2021, 11:09:29 am »

No part of me is "good " with -30C.  ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2021, 11:14:18 am »
A "neck tube warmer thing" is called a gaiter.   :P

That is a gorgeous jacket - I bet it smells good, too!  Glad to hear it performs as it should.  Sometimes the two are mutually exclusive concepts.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2021, 11:16:15 am »
A "neck tube warmer thing" is called a gaiter.   :P

That is a gorgeous jacket - I bet it smells good, too!  Glad to hear it performs as it should.  Sometimes the two are mutually exclusive concepts.

Yeah - that's it!

And the smell is SO good.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2021, 11:17:18 am »

No part of me is "good " with -30C.  ;D

X1000, its why I can't get into snowmobiling. Being outside, for fun, in winter temperatures to me is a sign of madness.

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2021, 12:55:28 pm »
If you need heater liners (gloves, jackets, etc) I can heartily recommend Warm N Safe. It's what I use.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/

If you need just something to keep your hands a bit warmer, I use Outdoor Research glove liners. Guaranteed for life. I also use them for driving, shoveling driveway, etc. Superb thin gloves.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 12:59:36 pm by rrocket »

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2021, 01:55:55 pm »
Nice jacket. I'm currently searching for a new leather jacket too.

And for your neck, get a Buff, there are a myriad of designs, I have a few.

https://www.buff.com/ca

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2021, 02:02:27 pm »

I did try  a KX 250 setup for the ice on Sylvan lake way back, my roomate had one.  lots of fun.

Yes it is. Insane grip. Campaigned 2 stroke 500s for many winters. We are looking at campaigning an old KTM 520 4 stroker this winter for at least the Numb Bum.

https://www.redbull.com/us-en/theredbulletin/numb-bum-24-hour-race-canada#:~:text=The%202020%20Numb%20Bum%2C%20which,much%20these%20days%2C%20local%20politics

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2021, 02:04:05 pm »
If you need heater liners (gloves, jackets, etc) I can heartily recommend Warm N Safe. It's what I use.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/

If you need just something to keep your hands a bit warmer, I use Outdoor Research glove liners. Guaranteed for life. I also use them for driving, shoveling driveway, etc. Superb thin gloves.

Thanks for the recommendation..