Author Topic: Shopping for a replacement for my Clubman JCW  (Read 4540 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Shopping for a replacement for my Clubman JCW
« on: May 15, 2020, 09:42:59 am »
A bit over a year ago I posted a hypothetical "what should I buy" thread: https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=103106.0

I'm now just four months away from the end of the Clubman lease so it's time to get serious about a replacement. Unfortunately I have no idea what to do. As I mentioned we intended to do in that thread, we've moved downtown and gone down to one car. Before quarantine, I was walking to work and my wife was working at a school two kilometres away so we've barely been driving. We've been buying gas once a month, except in February when we didn't get gas at all. Between January 25 and March 10, we drove 388 km.

So I'm torn. I don't see much point in spending a bunch of money on a car that we're hardly driving. But we also don't know where my wife will be working next year. Her commute could easily jump to 25 each way instead of two. In the grand scheme of things that still isn't a ton of kilometres because we live close to all other amenities and frequently walk to get groceries, to go to restaurants, to visit friends and family, etc.

Some thoughts about what we could do, in no particular order:

Keep the Clubman - I actually still love the car a lot. The buyout is $23,xxx and it has 56k on it. I think that's a very reasonable price for the car. The issue is the running costs. It will need two new sets of tires if we keep it and I'm concerned about the cost of maintenance and repairs. Had to do front brake pads a while ago and the pads alone were hundreds of dollars and difficult to source. I don't imagine the massive front rotors are cheap either and they likely need replacement soon. The car has been quite reliable minus the fact that I got a new transmission under warranty.

Jeep Wrangler - Have always wanted a Jeep, might be a good opportunity to lease a new one for a couple years to get it out of my system. Can get a manual. Could be fun. Not convinced I'll love having such a non-sporty vehicle as our only car though.

Alfa Romeo Giulia - Love the styling, you can get a loaded 2018 for under $40k, supposedly drives amazingly. But the closest dealer is in Quebec City, my wife hates the looks, and there's no manual. So not a serious contender at all.

BMW 335i/340i - This is what I was set on getting when I got the Clubman instead. Could go for a cheaper, higher KM 2014 (preferably an M Performance) or a newer, CPO 340i. I'm particular about what I want - needs the right options, needs a manual, prefer a good colour (definitely no silver or grey, preferably not black or white).

VW GTI - Had a 2015 and loved it, wouldn't mind getting a facelifted 2018 or finding a great deal on a leftover 2019. Gains a few things over the car I had (more power, better infotainment). Easy to find one. Don't love the colour choices, would probably just get another red one. It's too bad the new one doesn't come out until 2021 or it would be a shoe-in.

Mazda 3 GT hatch - Nice car with tons of amenities. Can lease a new loaded one for about $500 all in. Manual. Not special enough though. Probably doesn't drive as well as a GTI, unless they've made big improvements over the previous gen. I drove my brother's AWD automatic and liked it but the actual driving experience wasn't particularly exciting.

Volvo V60 - Can probably get a 2019 CPO for about $40k in a few months. I rented an S60 T6 recently and liked it but it was a bit boring. It would be very practical and would be a great road trip vehicle.

2015-2016 Mercedes-Benz E400 wagon - Have an AutoTrader search set up for these. You can get a nice one for under $30k which is a strong value IMO. Leans a bit too much luxury over sport for my tastes though. I'd go for a cheaper, earlier model but my wife hates the pre-facelift styling. Could save money getting a 2014 E350 which has the facelift but not the turbo motor.

E90/E91 3-series - Cheap. There was an '07 328i manual, sport package, RWD sedan for sale here recently. Under 80k and $9k asking price. Would be fun, practical enough, fairly easy to maintain. I actually really like this idea. It would be ideal to get an '09+ wagon with a manual and the sport package but they fetch more money than I'd want to spend on a 10 year old car I think.

2017-2018 Audi A4 - There's a handful of manuals around. Would want a reasonably loaded one with the S-Line package and those are hard to find. Very nice cars, but kind of boring.

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe - there's a grand total of 13 manual, RWD Gran Coupes in Canada. This combination was only offered in 2015. I've seen 3-4 of them for sale in the last couple years. Unfortunately none of those were optioned that well. Last week I found one in white with red leather but it didn't have the performance options. I think I'm more interested in this car because it's a novelty. I also saw a 2015 435i Gran Coupe that had higher KMs for under $20k, which is a steal, but those are automatic only.

Civic Si - Not sure my wife would like this choice but I don't mind them. Could go new or used, current gen or previous. They don't wow me on paper but I have yet to drive one.

So as you can see I'm kind of all over the place because I really don't know what to do. 🤷‍♂️

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Shopping for a replacement for my Clubman JCW
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:54:27 am »
What no Tesla  :o  :rofl:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 09:57:58 am »
Kia Stinger? 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 10:00:56 am »
Kia Stinger?

They really don't do much for me.

I'd rather have a G70 with a manual. There's actually a 2020 demo in Halifax for $5600 off but they lease kind of poorly so the payment would still be something like $600 which is more than I want to spend on that car.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 10:21:55 am »
Jeeps always look fun for an urban vehicles, you could rent one for the weekend and see what you think

On the other hand if you are going to go corner carving what about a Civic Type R?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 10:25:09 am »
Of course I'm going to say Jeep...but only if you take the top and doors off every once in a while.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 10:49:30 am »
Jeeps always look fun for an urban vehicles, you could rent one for the weekend and see what you think

On the other hand if you are going to go corner carving what about a Civic Type R?

I rented a Jeep last year and I liked it.

Not really interested in the Type R.

Of course, my wife wants this: https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mini/5%20door/dartmouth/nova%20scotia/5_47687384_20046119910706?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=14_15_15&sprx=250&modalXS=1

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 11:22:38 am »
Of course, my wife wants this: https://www.autotrader.ca/a/mini/5%20door/dartmouth/nova%20scotia/5_47687384_20046119910706?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&ursrc=hl&orup=14_15_15&sprx=250&modalXS=1

Well, I guess that's the end of this thread.   ;D

Haha, nah. I do like that car and since my wife does the majority of the driving it's only fair that she has input on what we get.

But that Mini is the exact same price and has the exact number of kilometres as our current one, but is smaller, less powerful, and lacks AWD. So it would be a downgrade with not much of an upside other than cheaper running costs.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 11:54:37 am »
I'm all about the wagons too. Though I understand the desire for a manual (especially in Fredericton there's no traffic to worry about so no downside to a manual at all).. which leaves you with limited options for a manual transmission wagon... either what you've got, or sportwagen (which doesn not have as much power). Convince Patrick to bring the Golf R Wagon to Canada?  ;D

How about V60 Polestar?

A4 Allroad?

(You can see I lean wagon ;D)

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 12:04:32 pm »
Golf AWD wagon, manual, APR Tune.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 12:06:01 pm »
I would say GTI Rabbit.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 12:13:02 pm »

E90/E91 3-series - Cheap. There was an '07 328i manual, sport package, RWD sedan for sale here recently. Under 80k and $9k asking price. Would be fun, practical enough, fairly easy to maintain. I actually really like this idea. It would be ideal to get an '09+ wagon with a manual and the sport package but they fetch more money than I'd want to spend on a 10 year old car I think.

That's my vote.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 12:27:13 pm »
A bit over a year ago I posted a hypothetical "what should I buy" thread: https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=103106.0

So we're looking to move downtown which would change our transportation needs quite a bit. I'd be within walking distance of work so we would go down to one car. Just curious what you guys think of the following criteria. I have obviously had some thoughts already, and I think there's some obvious answers.

- Not completely a must-have, but a very very strong preference for a manual transmission
- Daily driven by my wife, which eliminates RWD options
- AWD is a plus but definitely not necessary
- Only car but should be somewhat practical so bonus points for hatch/wagon bodystyles
- Would live near my parents so could borrow their Golf wagon almost any time if more room is needed
- Needs to be comfortable for road trips
- We like amenities
- Reasonable performance and good handling
- No CUVs unless it's something like a Macan S
- New or used
- No hard budget yet but let's say $45k tops

I'm now just four months away from the end of the Clubman lease so it's time to get serious about a replacement. Unfortunately I have no idea what to do. As I mentioned we intended to do in that thread, we've moved downtown and gone down to one car. Before quarantine, I was walking to work and my wife was working at a school two kilometres away so we've barely been driving. We've been buying gas once a month, except in February when we didn't get gas at all. Between January 25 and March 10, we drove 388 km.

So I'm torn. I don't see much point in spending a bunch of money on a car that we're hardly driving. But we also don't know where my wife will be working next year. Her commute could easily jump to 25 each way instead of two. In the grand scheme of things that still isn't a ton of kilometres because we live close to all other amenities and frequently walk to get groceries, to go to restaurants, to visit friends and family, etc.

Some thoughts about what we could do, in no particular order:

Keep the Clubman - I actually still love the car a lot. The buyout is $23,xxx and it has 56k on it. I think that's a very reasonable price for the car. The issue is the running costs. It will need two new sets of tires if we keep it and I'm concerned about the cost of maintenance and repairs. Had to do front brake pads a while ago and the pads alone were hundreds of dollars and difficult to source. I don't imagine the massive front rotors are cheap either and they likely need replacement soon. The car has been quite reliable minus the fact that I got a new transmission under warranty.

So as you can see I'm kind of all over the place because I really don't know what to do. 🤷‍♂️

why not just keep what you have then?...yours is better than this base model.

That one above seem to me to be the rational decision. Other options are the emotional ones  ;)
How much standard warranty coverage remaining?

Is a PHEV an option? Do you have your own parking spot? Could it be wired to supply a 240V EVSE (wall mounted car recharge station)?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 12:56:18 pm by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 12:38:32 pm »
Should probably just get this and be done with it: https://www.autotrader.ca/a/bmw/3%20series/kanata/ontario/19_11467625_?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_4_4&sprx=-1&modalXS=1

That looks nice. Too bad about X-Drive on the wagons. They did sell a RWD wagon in the States.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 12:56:52 pm »
Is this still valid ? Would live near my parents so could borrow their Golf wagon almost any time if more room is needed

How much cost to lease another type of Mini, an EV? : 2020 MINI COOPER SE 3 DOOR | CLASSIC https://mini.ca/en/discover/mini-electric

+ up to $5,000 FEDERAL TAX CREDITS (as long available) as bonus on 48 months lease. See link below for details.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/innovative-technologies/list-eligible-vehicles-under-izev-program.html
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:06:45 pm by me_2 »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 01:07:31 pm »
You could always get the GTI Rabbit in that cool blue color.  Have you considered maybe a Golf R with one of those custom colors, I'm sure there are a few online with a manual.

If you love the vehicle that you currently have I think it might be a good option.  Maybe buy it out and in a year get the new GTI.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 01:26:10 pm »
Is this still valid ? Would live near my parents so could borrow their Golf wagon almost any time if more room is needed

How much cost to lease another type of Mini, an EV? : 2020 MINI COOPER SE 3 DOOR | CLASSIC https://mini.ca/en/discover/mini-electric

+ up to $5,000 FEDERAL TAX CREDITS (as long available) as bonus on 48 months lease. See link below for details.
https://www.tc.gc.ca/en/services/road/innovative-technologies/list-eligible-vehicles-under-izev-program.html

It is still valid, in fact my parents live a block away now.

But we have zero interest in EVs.