Author Topic: 2021 Toyota SUPRA  (Read 20233 times)

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
2021 Toyota SUPRA
« on: April 27, 2020, 01:20:42 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFB33dJlkec

- first look and drive from Redline reviews.

I think I don't mind the 4-pot sound although those pops and crackles are a bit much, especially for the 4 cyl model.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
Re: 2021 Toyota SUPRA
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 01:10:15 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l2JWhxD6mg

TFL first look at I4 and V6 side by side. Notice the I4 already has threaded holes for strut braces  :D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 11:04:57 am »
Yeah, giving the four cylinder a manual would make it more relevant to some people's interests for sure.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 12:48:41 pm »
New Supra is not desirable whatsoever, and not a Supra. Just get a BMW. Yet another "new" version of a legend watered down.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2020, 01:23:10 pm »
New Supra is not desirable whatsoever, and not a Supra. Just get a BMW. Yet another "new" version of a legend watered down.

There isn't really an equivalent BMW though.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2020, 01:34:39 pm »
The 4cyl sucks in BMW.  Torquey but not a revver.  The engine has no soul.  And for $55K (I would expect) for the lower powered Supra is a horrible value proposition.  Mostly because you cannot get a manual.  Absolutely tragic.

To each of their own. I don't necessarily mind a torquey but not revvy engine. Having lived with one for a short while, it was addicting, and its replacement will be no different. But obviously, the sound is an important factor as well. This 2.0T Supra sounds pretty meh. I love downshifting with the Vette in sports mode.

The manual thing is just a dead horse at this point. I don't expect it to ever get one and that's just the way it is. I am sure hardcore car people have done manual swaps on the new Supra.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 01:37:37 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2020, 02:20:34 pm »

There isn't really an equivalent BMW though.

M240

Kind of. I'd take the M240i over a Supra for the manual alone but I wouldn't really call them equivalents.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2020, 02:23:30 pm »
The 4cyl sucks in BMW.  Torquey but not a revver.  The engine has no soul.  And for $55K (I would expect) for the lower powered Supra is a horrible value proposition.  Mostly because you cannot get a manual.  Absolutely tragic.

To each of their own. I don't necessarily mind a torquey but not revvy engine. Having lived with one for a short while, it was addicting, and its replacement will be no different. But obviously, the sound is an important factor as well. This 2.0T Supra sounds pretty meh. I love downshifting with the Vette in sports mode.

The manual thing is just a dead horse at this point. I don't expect it to ever get one and that's just the way it is. I am sure hardcore car people have done manual swaps on the new Supra.

You can only go so fast on city streets today and a manual is simply more fun than an auto.  Not faster anymore but more fun.

I am not so sure on your dead horse comment.  Porsche is bringing BACK manual options.  I think you will see more of this going forward for the very reason that I state above.

Oh totally, I drive one because I personally like it more, but I think manufacturers have different concerns. Take rate would be a pretty important measure to them, for example.

And we are talking about Porsche here. They are known to actually listen to people, and I'd imagine their fanbase actually can afford them so they don't have to worry about sales. Toyota? Welp, it's Toyota. They are good at making car equivalent of a toaster, not at sports cars anymore, so I am not holding my breath.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2020, 02:51:07 pm »

You can only go so fast on city streets today and a manual is simply more fun than an auto.  Not faster anymore but more fun.

I am not so sure on your dead horse comment.  Porsche is bringing BACK manual options.  I think you will see more of this going forward for the very reason that I state above.

Oh totally, I drive one because I personally like it more, but I think manufacturers have different concerns. Take rate would be a pretty important measure to them, for example.

And we are talking about Porsche here. They are known to actually listen to people, and I'd imagine their fanbase actually can afford them so they don't have to worry about sales. Toyota? Welp, it's Toyota. They are good at making car equivalent of a toaster, not at sports cars anymore, so I am not holding my breath.

In the late 1980's Toyota had the Supra, Supra Turbo, MR2, MR2 Supercharged, Celica GTS, Celica ALL TRAC Turbo.  As a young boy I remember these fondly.  I also remember that I couldn't afford any of them.

How the mighty have fallen.

hey hey now, it's not all lost, Toyota has the Camry and Avalon TRD...  :rofl2: ;D ;D

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 03:40:38 pm »

In the late 1980's Toyota had the Supra, Supra Turbo, MR2, MR2 Supercharged, Celica GTS, Celica ALL TRAC Turbo.  As a young boy I remember these fondly.  I also remember that I couldn't afford any of them.

That's why I said anymore. They used to have some great cars and some are truly classic. Not anymore.

And most people who complain about Supra's lack of MT most likely wouldn't buy one for different reasons. I can personally say that even if it has a manual trans, the BMW engine/electronics are gonna drive me away anyways.

Although I do think the top trim sport Camry is a pretty sweet middle class rig. The XLE or whatever. Not too shabby all things considered.

Personally, I would have picked the Accord if I am in that segment just for the fact that Accord offers a manual trans option on both engines. I personally don't really like having big engines on those FWD cars with open diffs, though. My friend's Mazda6 2.5T can peel wheels if you are just a hair too heavy on the gas off the stoplight.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 02:25:53 pm »
Car and Driver dyno tests the 2021 Supra.  Guess what?  Like the 2020 model, it's making more power than advertised.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a32461333/2021-toyota-supra-dyno-tested/
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 02:28:13 pm by Bubba »
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 09:25:38 pm »
If you want to see a guy ripping it up on the street (how does he not get caught?) - hear and feel the speed https://youtu.be/vtGnGAXFVwM 
Sounds cool, so long as you keep the windows closed I guess.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 12:29:07 pm »
Sounds like a manual is coming, likely only for the four cylinder: https://carbuzz.com/news/a-manual-toyota-supra-is-coming

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 07:18:36 pm »
If true, that would be colossally stupid.

Enthusiasts, then ones buying any of the manuals, want the performance version. Making the same mistake as Genesis did with the G70.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 07:49:13 pm »
If true, that would be colossally stupid.

Enthusiasts, then ones buying any of the manuals, want the performance version. Making the same mistake as Genesis did with the G70.

I think the issue is that BMW hasn't paired it's newest sixes with manuals in any of its cars yet. Maybe they'll be able to use the same manual that the upcoming M3/M4 will use though.

It really is a shame that the new M340i is auto-only.  :-\

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 07:57:01 pm »
Well that is just bad product planning then.

Manual with the faster car. Or else cynical marketing exercise.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2020, 10:50:10 am »
Maybe driving enthusiasts should put their money where their mouths are.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2020, 11:04:09 am »

My brother was beefing about Ford no longer making the Fiesta RS and ST.  I replied, Did you buy one?  That shut him up.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2020, 11:09:46 am »
Yep. Like 0.8% of G70s sold were manual, it should come to no surprise that they’re discontinuing the manual after 2021.

Im hoping I can buy the Corolla GR when it comes out, but not at the expense of buying our next house.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2020, 12:01:08 pm »
I do, within my means. As do others such as Vman.

I would be interested in a new Supra if...if it was an updated MkIV. The fact that it is not that at all but rather a Z4 in drag, and no manual would be a deal breaker for me...IF I had the money to be in the market.

And G70 manuals flopped because they put the stick in the wrong car.