Author Topic: New shoes for GTI  (Read 12644 times)

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
New shoes for GTI
« on: April 23, 2020, 05:06:51 pm »
Although I was expecting it, I found out today that I need new tires for the GTI so it can pass safety (buying it out at the end of the lease) so off to shopping around.

I'm a Michelin "fan" having used Michelin for some time and I want an A/S performance tire not dedicated summers so I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 225/40 R18.

Price-wise they are fine by me @ $217+tax at Kal Tire before $70 mail in rebate from Michelin.

Aside from online reviews, which I read and they are good in general, anyone had any first hand experience with these tires?

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: New shoes for GTI
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 05:10:04 pm »
I have been in cars with the AS3+. They are perhaps the best A/S performance tire you can get, grip levels on par with many dedicated summers.

I personally have run the General G-Max AS05 as a performance all season, can recommend highly...Michelin has always been beyond my paygrade.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 05:11:04 pm »

Although I was expecting it, I found out today that I need new tires for the GTI so it can pass safety (buying it out at the end of the lease) so off to shopping around.

I'm a Michelin "fan" having used Michelin for some time and I want an A/S performance tire not dedicated summers so I'm looking at Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 225/40 R18.

Price-wise they are fine by me @ $217+tax at Kal Tire before $70 mail in rebate from Michelin.

Aside from online reviews, which I read and they are good in general, anyone had any first hand experience with these tires?

Had them on my 911...great tires. Very, good in the wet too..which was noticeable.

I was also very pleasantly surprised by the  Generals I had on the IS-F if you're looking to save a few bucks.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 05:31:11 pm »

I've got six year old Pilot HX 225/45/18 on my car. I'll probably go with the A/S 3+ this summer.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 05:44:19 pm »

I've got six year old Pilot HX 225/45/18 on my car. I'll probably go with the A/S 3+ this summer.

This is one thing I like about Michelin - longevity. I got 8 years and well over 100K km on A/S+winter combo on my Outlander and the thread is still slightly above the wear bars on both sets. I may just replace them based on the age alone although the rubber still looks OK but on the other hand I may push them for one more season (undecided).

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 05:52:41 pm »

Had them on my 911...great tires. Very, good in the wet too..which was noticeable.

I was also very pleasantly surprised by the  Generals I had on the IS-F if you're looking to save a few bucks.

Not really concerned about few bucks... I'm OK with the price.

Yes, good in wet and cold weather (not snow) is what I'm after hence A/S. I had summers on the Focus and they were rather crappy in those conditions. Sure, summer tires have their benefits in certain use cases, but for a daily driver, I found performance A/S to be more adequate. At least from my perspective.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:55:09 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 05:53:57 pm »
I could easily go for another year or two with wear, but they are hard as nails, and easily spin wheels at stoplights during wet weather. The HX's are rated at 340 treadwear, so not too hard to begin with when young.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 06:02:27 pm »
Sidebar:  Something just crossed my mind... I wonder if I can certify the car (safety) on winter tires? Does it have to be on the OEM wheels? Does anyone know if there is a rule around that?

Yes the A/S OEM tires are almost done (2 are at or slightly above 4/32) but I believe I can push them for one more summer given that travel will be light anyway so I won't put too many km on them....
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 06:08:30 pm by carcrazy »

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 06:09:41 pm »
Sidebar:  Something just crossed my mind... I wonder if I can certify the car (safety) on winter tires? Does it have to be on the OEM wheels?

I'm not sure what province you're in, but I don't not think I have read about safety certificates concerning summer, all season, or winter tires. I think the basic measure is strictly tread depth.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 06:15:36 pm »
Sidebar:  Something just crossed my mind... I wonder if I can certify the car (safety) on winter tires? Does it have to be on the OEM wheels?

I'm not sure what province you're in, but I don't not think I have read about safety certificates concerning summer, all season, or winter tires. I think the basic measure is strictly tread depth.

Ontario..... yeah just reading the Ontario safety standards..... nothing about the type of tire/wheel.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 06:26:08 pm »
Mine might wear down another 32th inch in another 10,000 kms. They're bullet proof.  :rofl2: But if I ever have to stop suddenly in the wet, I'm screwed.  :-[

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2020, 07:27:23 pm »
Sidebar:  Something just crossed my mind... I wonder if I can certify the car (safety) on winter tires? Does it have to be on the OEM wheels? Does anyone know if there is a rule around that?

Yes the A/S OEM tires are almost done (2 are at or slightly above 4/32) but I believe I can push them for one more summer given that travel will be light anyway so I won't put too many km on them....
My ISF was safetied on winters

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 07:35:37 pm »
the A/S 3+ are a great tire...i was going to get them for my Rio5, but got the General Altimax RT43s instead as they were a decent amount less and were still highly rated...the RT43s actually have decent reviews in light snow (for some of those US states that rarely get snow, but might see a couple of days worth over a winter season).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2020, 12:24:42 am »
This will be my fourth summer with the A/S3+ on my GTI. Overall, I've been impressed. I switched from performance summer tires to these in an attempt to eke out a bit more use during the shoulder seasons, and the A/S3+ hasn't disappointed. They're great in the cold and wet, and were surprisingly decent when I got caught in some deep, slushy hail on the highway. Even in icy parking lots, I've been impressed with the traction offered.

And for proper summer driving, they're pretty good too. I'd say grip is down a bit from the summer tires I've run in the past, but it's not that significant. The important thing to me is how they feel, and these feel pretty good. Sidewall is nice and stiff for crisp turn-in, and they're really communicative at the limit. The limit might be a bit lower, but it never sneaks up on you, so you really feel like you can use all the grip on offer.

I don't much care about noise or ride comfort, but I'd say they're certainly acceptable in both regards. As mentioned, the sidewalls are stiff, so if comfort is a priority, maybe look elsewhere for that smooth, no-bump ride.  ;)

I don't know what others are getting for tread wear, but mine are wearing like performance tires. After 16.5K km, mine are down to around 6/32". I figure I'll be lucky to get 25-30K km out of them, but that's in line with what I'm used to with the more performance-oriented summer tires. Yes, these don't offer quite the summer grip, but I think the trade-off is worth it for the extra spring/fall usefulness.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2020, 01:02:40 pm »
I don't know what others are getting for tread wear, but mine are wearing like performance tires. After 16.5K km, mine are down to around 6/32". I figure I'll be lucky to get 25-30K km out of them, but that's in line with what I'm used to with the more performance-oriented summer tires. Yes, these don't offer quite the summer grip, but I think the trade-off is worth it for the extra spring/fall usefulness.
for my car, the UTQG rating for the Michelin tires is 500 and the RT43 tires is 700, so my thinking is the RT43s may last a bit longer, which is ideal for me since i didn't want to buy another set of tires right before i get rid of my car.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2020, 08:50:57 pm »
Quattro Tire has the Michelin's on for $214.70 in addition a $100 rebate and a 5% instant rebate. https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-as-3/1389

Thinking of getting a set for the Mazdaspeed.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2020, 10:01:29 pm »
Can recommend Quattro.

Purchased a set from them and all was well.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2020, 11:56:24 pm »
Quattro Tire has the Michelin's on for $214.70 in addition a $100 rebate and a 5% instant rebate. https://www.quattrotires.com/tires/michelin-pilot-sport-as-3/1389

Thinking of getting a set for the Mazdaspeed.

Thanks. I didn't know about this site.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2020, 08:51:51 am »
There are quite a few Canadian on line tire sellers. The prices can vary however. When I can I would rather give my money to a  Canadian business.

I have bought from Canadian Tire as well but lately they never seem to have the tires you want in stock. They have to order them as well. Just the way

retail is going.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2020, 09:25:55 am »
If J went retail, I would use walltowalltires.com. prices are very competitive to even my employee discount, they typically are only just above cost on most tires. Good selection too. Based out of Greely, ON.