Author Topic: Today in Transmission News: Mini Keeps Manuals and Hyundai Veloster N Gets an Au  (Read 842 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
In terms of divisive automotive topics, the transmission is a hot one.
Read more...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
If mini dropped manuals, the brand would die. That is a defining feature of the brand.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
A DCT is a welcome addition to the Veloster N, IMO. What's even better is it seems to be a new, wet clutch transmission designed by Hyundai in-house. Obviously it remains to be seen how good it is compared to their previous dry-clutch attempts, but something tells me they are not going to drop the same ball twice.

In other transmission news, based on everything I've read and watched, Toyota hybrid transmissions, A.K.A. power split devices, are some of the most reliable units out there and they are easy to service the DIY way: fluid level is easy to set and there are no filters to replace. They take very little of very common WS Toyota fluid that is relatively cheap. Just my 2 cents.  :)

More on the subject in this thread: https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=105542.0
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 03:06:55 pm by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
If mini dropped manuals, the brand would die. That is a defining feature of the brand.

LOL, hardly.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L

LOL, hardly.
Just you watch.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S

LOL, hardly.
Just you watch.

See the manual take rates here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2020/04/09/mini-usa-return-manual-transmission/

I loved that up until now every Mini could be had with a manual but the reality is that fewer and fewer people are buying them.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLIXoZ3prKE

From Asian petrolhead - driving Veloster N on the track. DCT model. With correctly placed air vents  ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 08:16:24 pm by EV Dan »