Author Topic: 2008 Civic Coupe DX - aka Sh!tcar  (Read 21095 times)

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
Re: 2008 Civic Coupe DX - aka Sh!tcar
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2020, 10:51:12 am »
Honda had a bit of clearcoat problem with that generation of civic. I've noticed many in my area as they get older. Especially noticeable on the roof and hoods.

yep, clearcoat on my roof is starting to peel and the hood has been in bad shape (lots of chips) for a long time.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2020, 10:53:54 am »
Honda had a bit of clearcoat problem with that generation of civic. I've noticed many in my area as they get older. Especially noticeable on the roof and hoods.

Yep. My buddy has a 10 DX Sedan and the front bumper on that thing peels like no tomorrow.

Looking good. You also discovered that Honda made good engines. Yes they did until they started making these blown mini ones that mix fuel and oil.

I always knew they made good engines.  This is my 3rd Civic.  I had a 2002 Civic LX with the 1.7, and a 2008 Civic Si with the 2.0 when I was younger.  This is my first 1.8L.

I'm not a fan of their little turbo engines.  Honda has lost their way.

Turbocharged engines are good in theory. Gives you good low-end torque in the city and economical on the highway. But at the same time, I am always a bit more concerned with their reliability since I am the kind of guy who puts the foot down a lot and that equates to more stress.

I have another friend who had a 02 EX Coupe 1.7 with a manual. I drove it and it was pretty slow... Pretty much just have to drive like a grandma and take it easy. That's the thing about these older Civics, they are a bit too slow for me.

The new Civic is also available with a 2.0 engine. I test drove one with a CVT. It's not bad, good power for a car like that, so it can be good if you are concerned about reliability of turbo engines.

The 2.4 in my current Accord is good enough. It's fairly economical without being a complete slug. The stick shift helps a bit as well. The only thing is that it makes that VTC rattle sound at startup, and I won't bother fixing it since I have seen no hard evidence on whether or not that actually causes damage.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2020, 11:31:41 am »
^^^The 1.7's in the 7th generation were dogs.  They only made 115hp and 110lb-ft of torque.  They weren't bad engines, just very conservative.  Typical Honda smooth, though.
When Honda designed the 1.8L, they managed to squeeze 140hp and 128lb-ft out of it, without sacrificing that Honda smoothness.  I believe they also lightened the 8th gen relative to the 7th gen.  8th gen Civics ended up feeling much, much perkier than the previous generation, and are a lot better to drive. 

I truly believe these generations of Honda 4-bangers were some of the most refined 4-cylinder engines you could buy.  They knock the socks off other, more modern 4-bangers when it comes to NVH. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2020, 11:44:45 am »
^^^The 1.7's in the 7th generation were dogs.  They only made 115hp and 110lb-ft of torque.  They weren't bad engines, just very conservative.  Typical Honda smooth, though.
When Honda designed the 1.8L, they managed to squeeze 140hp and 128lb-ft out of it, without sacrificing that Honda smoothness.  I believe they also lightened the 8th gen relative to the 7th gen.  8th gen Civics ended up feeling much, much perkier than the previous generation, and are a lot better to drive. 

I truly believe these generations of Honda 4-bangers were some of the most refined 4-cylinder engines you could buy.  They knock the socks off other, more modern 4-bangers when it comes to NVH.
you can achieve a smoothness and "free revving feel" by shortening the stroke...it reduces torque, but they typically "feel" better...the trick is finding that right mix...Honda does a good job of finding that mix.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2020, 12:20:40 pm »
Regarding smoothness, my Accord is alright when it comes to this, with the only exception being if you turn on A/C or rear window defog at idle, then you can feel the shaking in the steering wheel.

My old 08 V6 Coupe was even smoother even with these accessories on, but at the same time, I don't miss the wheel spin, and I like that the I4 has a timing chain(V6 has a belt) and gets better gas mileage. The worst tanks on the I4 in -30C weather still beat the average tanks I had on my previous V6.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2020, 12:35:45 pm »
It's so smooth, torquey down low, and the powerband is linear and smooth, and it sounds good when pushed a little. 

Good one.  :rofl2:

Glad you are enjoying the car.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2020, 12:59:33 pm »
It's so smooth, torquey down low, and the powerband is linear and smooth, and it sounds good when pushed a little. 

Relatively speaking, of course.  Compared to a GTI or any other turbo-4?  It's a gutless wonder down low.  But, compared to the old Honda 1.7, it's torquey. 

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2020, 01:06:17 pm »

Glad you are enjoying the car.

My Accord is more torquey than my RX-8, LOL.

Still, a somewhat odd approach for a family car to have relatively low torque but rev to 7100 RPM... They fixed that in the 9th Gens, which are slightly less powerful but actually more torquey.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2020, 01:41:06 pm »
I'm reading an old article on the R18A1 engine, and the design considerations that Honda put into it:

http://asia.vtec.net/Engines/R18A/index.html

I'm finding particularly interesting the way in which they tuned the NVH of the engine, and the way it sounds.  Their goal was for the engine to be non-intrusive when being babied, but then when pushed, they wanted a linear engine sound output during WOT.  Honda spent considerable effort in designing the intake system to achieve this. 

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2020, 07:59:57 pm »

yep, clearcoat on my roof is starting to peel and the hood has been in bad shape (lots of chips) for a long time.

Put color matched bedliner on the hood.   ;D
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2020, 10:43:38 am »
I'm going to update it, not because it's reached any particular milestone, but because I feel like it.

We've had this car for 2 months now, and have put about 1700kms on it since we've had it.  The odometer is close to 320 000kms (319 670 at last look).  I'm continuously impressed by just how good it is, especially to drive.  I've never had a high mileage car like this before, so I probably expected it to be all loose and clunky, and kinda :censor:, but no, it's kinda nice.  The engine purrs nicely, and the 5-spd auto transmission shifts smoothly.  The steering is still as tight as a drum, and the suspension responds well - although I will point out the front right suspension is a little creaky when going over bumps.  It's not clunky, so I don't think it's anything that requires immediate attention, but it's something to keep an eye on in the future.    Fuel economy has been a mixed bag.  I've been tracking my mileage, and some fill-ups are around 8L/100kms, while I had one at 12L/100kms.  The average seems to be about 9L/100kms.  This is probably a combination of my short trips to work, and the engine is probably a little tired after 320 000kms, and not running at peak efficiency.  Still, it's significantly more fuel efficient that the truck, which was the whole point of buying this car.

The other day I needed to pick up an office chair that wouldn't fit in the Civic Coupe (the fact that it's a coupe is its only shortcoming, as far as I'm concerned), so I borrowed my boss's 2010 Nissan Versa with 142 000kms.  A couple of things struck me.  They're a similar 'class' of car, having been sold at similar price points, similarly sized motors, and being basic economy cars.  While the Versa certainly has the roominess of the hatch and a relatively high seating position going for it, the Civic just feels more substantial, and certainly higher end.  The interior is nicer, with better materials everywhere, and even more equipment.  Both the Civic and the Versa are base models, but the Civic is equipped with cruise control, and has the center console/armrest, while the Versa has neither, being equipped only with power windows/locks.  The Civic has also held up a whole heckuva lot better than the Versa, even though it has more than twice the kms.  The Versa is severely rusted, and has perforations through the bottom of the doors, the fenders, etc.  The interior of the Civic is in much better condition, too the Versa has not held up well at all. 

There are a few things 'wrong' with the car. 
I was driving the car in the rain the other day, and water was dripping from the driver side A-Pillar.  Obviously there is a seal somewhere that isn't sealing properly, and water is working its way in.  I had a brief look at all the seals, but can't find anything that is evidently wrong.  I'm not sure I care to hunt any further than that, this is an old car, after all. 
The key-less entry works intermittently.  About half the time it will lock/unlock the car, and the rest of the time it just won't work.  It may be the key-fob battery, I'm not sure, I haven't tried.  That will be the first thing to replace.  If that doesn't work, then either the key itself is intermittently malfunctioning, or the receiver in the car is.  If it's anything more than a battery, it's not getting fixed, because old car. 
The A/C doesn't work.  It probably needs a recharge.  I'll do this when it gets hotter and we actually need it.
The Radio Screen is still very dim.  This illustrates exactly why infotainment tech in cars could be the cause of their downfall as high mileage vehicles.  The screen in the Civic displays little information:  The time, and the radio station.  It also shows the levels when you're adjusting the sound mix, balance, etc.  In daylight, it's nearly impossible to see the screen, but this is okay, because the information that is contained within is limited.  I don't need the car to tell me the time (although sometimes it is nice to be able to just glance over and see what time it is), and I know what radio presets I listen to most often, so I don't need to know what station the radio is tuned to, either.  Modern cars, however, are far more integrated into their screens than older vehicles.  In many cars, many features are accessible through the screen, like heated seats, and most importantly, the climate control.  Imagine not being able to set your climate control to windshield de-fog because the infotainment screen has crapped out.  You would be forced to replace the infotainment unit, and those things probably run a few thousand dollars at least, if they're even still available at all when the car is 10-15 years old.  On a car that's only worth $3000, it would be enough to total the vehicle.

Anyway, this is all a very long-winded way to say that I'm very happy with our purchase.  The car is fun to drive (in a different way to the truck - it's nimble and much more responsive than the Tundra, although the Tundra has significantly more power and makes a much better noise), relatively fuel efficient, and is turning out to be reliable in all the places that count - drivetrain.  I've been daily driving it to work and the dog park every day, and any time I need to run out to grab something.  It's been most excellent at those little tasks.  We still prefer the truck for our longer out-of-town trips, and for trips with the entire family, as it is just so much more comfortable.  But in the city?  The Civic rules the roost.  I'm also loving keeping the short trips off the Tundra. 

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2020, 10:47:10 am »
Thanks for the update!

The Versa is more so of a Honda Fit competitor. Nissan Sentra is the same class as the Civic. But yes, I do agree that Nissans do not hold up as long as Honda or Toyota.

I rode in a 2015ish Nissan Sentra (previous generation) Uber with 200k. Suspension was shot (clunky and bouncy), and the CVT transmission was slipping (if thats even possible?) or engine misfiring. Something was definitely up with it because it was jerking/surging.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 10:53:54 am by 1FGC »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2020, 10:53:37 am »
Thanks for the update!

The Versa is more so of a Honda Fit competitor. Nissan Sentra is the same class as the Civic. But yes, I do agree that Nissans do not hold up as long as Honda or Toyota.

I agree with you in principle, although that generation of Versa was bigger than the Honda Fit/Toyota Yaris.  Size-wise it is closer to the Civic, and it has a 1.8L engine, to boot.  People may have cross-shopped the two (rather, they may have cross-shopped the Civic Sedan and the Versa...)

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2021, 10:07:37 am »
I just figured I would do a little update on the Civic.  Not because I've hit any particular milestone with it, but just because I feel like it. 

I've been dailying the Civic for just about 10 months now, and in that time have put about 6000kms on the odomoter, which now stands at ~324300 kms.  Aside from the initial expense when we got the car to get it safetied (lower control arm, wheel bearings) and a battery that wasn't strictly necessary, the only money I've put into this car other than gas is $20 for engine/cabin air filters, $40 for an oil change in the fall (I'll be due for another oil change probably in March/April), and $7 for a new battery for the keyfob.  Speaking of the keyfob, the battery failed soon after we got the car, but I ignored it, opting instead to just never lock the car.  I finally got around to replacing the battery this week, and once again have keyless entry. 

I know I've only put 6000kms on the car, but it has been rock solid that entire time.  These cars were really, really well put together.  The interior is holding up very well.  The padding in the seats still hold their shape and there are no rips in the cloth.  The interior plastics all look practically brand new, and there are no squeaks, rattles or shakes coming from the interior.  I'm very impressed. - That's not to say the car doesn't creak.  There are definitely noises coming from the suspension.  Call it old bushings or joints, or possibly even noisy struts.  It's not anything that concerns me, as other than being noisy, the suspension performs adequately.  The drivetrain is still as smooth as it was the day we bought it, and from a driveability standpoint, I couldn't tell the difference from new.  The starter feels a little weak, though.  It still works, but it doesn't start the engine with the vigor that I would expect.  We'll see how long it keeps going.  It may decide to die suddenly, who knows.  Oh, and the check engine light came on a month ago.  The car still runs fine.  I might take it to partsource and get it scanned once COVID is over to see why it's on.  It might just be something simple

The AC definitely doesn't work.  Not that it matters during the winter, but I spent all summer trying to figure it out.  It's not a leak, as I checked and charged the system, and it's holding a charge.  The compressor also kicks on, so it's not that.  The only thing left  that I can think of is that the expansion valve is clogged or longer operating properly.  I've read forum threads about them failing on Civics and needing replacement, unfortunately they're buried deep inside the dash, and seem to be a complete PITA to change.  So assuming the valve is the problem, I can't see myself tearing the dash apart to replace it, and I'm definitely not spending money on having somebody else do it.  I think from this point forward this car just isn't equipped with AC. 

Little gripes with the car?  Not having heated mirrors kinda sucks.  That's not the car's fault, it was never equipped with them.  I definitely miss having them.  Also, the gas mileage seems a little high.  It's sitting at about 11-12L/100kms right now.  I'll chalk that up to a few factors:  One, most of the trips I take are very short, to the point that the car never really has a chance to warm up, so the computer is dumping fuel into a cold engine.  It's the same reason my truck has such shitty apparent mileage (although now that the Tundra is only going on longer trips, its average is improving - it doesn't show on fuelly yet, but the on-screen average is 17-18L/100kms).  Also, I would say that the engine is 'tired' and is no longer getting the same economy that it would when new. 

Anyway, so far, for a cheap car, the Civic is exceeding all expectations, and I'm enjoying my time with it.  It's not a 'special' car, but it's functional, and it does all that is asked of it without complaining. 

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2021, 10:24:05 am »
I just figured I would do a little update on the Civic.  Not because I've hit any particular milestone with it, but just because I feel like it. 

I've been dailying the Civic for just about 10 months now, and in that time have put about 6000kms on the odomoter, which now stands at ~324300 kms.  Aside from the initial expense when we got the car to get it safetied (lower control arm, wheel bearings) and a battery that wasn't strictly necessary, the only money I've put into this car other than gas is $20 for engine/cabin air filters, $40 for an oil change in the fall (I'll be due for another oil change probably in March/April), and $7 for a new battery for the keyfob.  Speaking of the keyfob, the battery failed soon after we got the car, but I ignored it, opting instead to just never lock the car.  I finally got around to replacing the battery this week, and once again have keyless entry. 

I know I've only put 6000kms on the car, but it has been rock solid that entire time.  These cars were really, really well put together.  The interior is holding up very well.  The padding in the seats still hold their shape and there are no rips in the cloth.  The interior plastics all look practically brand new, and there are no squeaks, rattles or shakes coming from the interior.  I'm very impressed. - That's not to say the car doesn't creak.  There are definitely noises coming from the suspension.  Call it old bushings or joints, or possibly even noisy struts.  It's not anything that concerns me, as other than being noisy, the suspension performs adequately.  The drivetrain is still as smooth as it was the day we bought it, and from a driveability standpoint, I couldn't tell the difference from new.  The starter feels a little weak, though.  It still works, but it doesn't start the engine with the vigor that I would expect.  We'll see how long it keeps going.  It may decide to die suddenly, who knows.  Oh, and the check engine light came on a month ago.  The car still runs fine.  I might take it to partsource and get it scanned once COVID is over to see why it's on.  It might just be something simple

The AC definitely doesn't work.  Not that it matters during the winter, but I spent all summer trying to figure it out.  It's not a leak, as I checked and charged the system, and it's holding a charge.  The compressor also kicks on, so it's not that.  The only thing left  that I can think of is that the expansion valve is clogged or longer operating properly.  I've read forum threads about them failing on Civics and needing replacement, unfortunately they're buried deep inside the dash, and seem to be a complete PITA to change.  So assuming the valve is the problem, I can't see myself tearing the dash apart to replace it, and I'm definitely not spending money on having somebody else do it.  I think from this point forward this car just isn't equipped with AC. 

Little gripes with the car?  Not having heated mirrors kinda sucks.  That's not the car's fault, it was never equipped with them.  I definitely miss having them.  Also, the gas mileage seems a little high.  It's sitting at about 11-12L/100kms right now.  I'll chalk that up to a few factors:  One, most of the trips I take are very short, to the point that the car never really has a chance to warm up, so the computer is dumping fuel into a cold engine.  It's the same reason my truck has such shitty apparent mileage (although now that the Tundra is only going on longer trips, its average is improving - it doesn't show on fuelly yet, but the on-screen average is 17-18L/100kms).  Also, I would say that the engine is 'tired' and is no longer getting the same economy that it would when new. 

Anyway, so far, for a cheap car, the Civic is exceeding all expectations, and I'm enjoying my time with it.  It's not a 'special' car, but it's functional, and it does all that is asked of it without complaining.
Good update.  Glad your Civic is holding up really well.  So what is the plan for this vehicle, are you going to run it into the ground or are you just buying some time before you buy something else to replace it?

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2021, 10:44:14 am »
Good update.  Glad your Civic is holding up really well.  So what is the plan for this vehicle, are you going to run it into the ground or are you just buying some time before you buy something else to replace it?

Don't know yet.  I'd like to say we're buying some time before buying something else.  I have no doubt the Civic will last at least another 4-5 years.  Do I want to keep driving it that long?  I dunno.  Maybe?  It is pretty base model.  AC, Bluetooth, heated seats, heated mirrors, are all quality of life things that are nice to have, but then again, my daily commute is 5 minutes each way, so it's not like I'd get much use out of those items anyway.  For longer trips we have the Tundra which has all the comfort/convenience features I want.  Plus there's the fact that I consider short little 5 minute trips to be abusive to a car.  I felt very, very guilty doing it to the Tundra, which is why I got the Civic in the first place.  If we were to replace the Civic with something newer/nicer I would feel guilty about putting short trips on IT, too, and would probably keep the Civic anyway as my daily, leaving the newer vehicle for my wife.   

I guess what I'm saying is that I can drive the Civic completely guilt-free, and I like that.  I suppose the vehicle that would make the most sense to replace it with would be an EV, as those things don't care about trip length.  Unfortunately, even used examples are priced a little too high ATM.  Maybe once the truck is paid off I could consider replacing the Civic with an EV. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 10:48:56 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2021, 11:07:18 am »
Nice update GBA, your experience with the civic is very similar to mine and you have 100k+ more mileage than me.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2021, 11:19:09 am »
Nice update GBA, your experience with the civic is very similar to mine and you have 100k+ more mileage than me.

yeah, you have the better engine/transmission, though, at least with regards to performance/fun.  Not sure how the K20 compares to the R18 for longevity, same goes for the 6 speed stick vs the 5 speed autobox. 

My impression is that these are very well built cars.  I still see TONS of eight gen Civics on the road, and even plenty of 7th gen Civics.  This generation of Civic is easily the equal of a Toyota Corolla when it comes to longevity/build quality, while being a better driver's car. 

Fun Fact:  I haven't washed the car since April!!!!!  I'm such a terrible car owner, lol. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 11:24:34 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2021, 11:27:55 am »

Sounds like the perfect beater.