Author Topic: Missing Persons  (Read 141142 times)

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Persons
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2022, 10:32:11 am »
The Forum is dead. The Forum remains dead. And we have killed it. How shall we comfort ourselves, the murderers of all murderers?

And this is why there are no new members and current members are leaving in droves.

How will you comfort yourself?  Netflix?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2022, 10:36:28 am »
This Forum is DEAD.

Way too much hostility from most of the long term and prolific posters.
Where is this coming from?  Just because people disagree with your views on the political threads?  This is a car forum, if you want to talk about world issues, I'm sure there are other places where you could fill that need.

This is a car forum?

There used to be new threads daily on cars but the membership is gone.  If you can't see that and want to take a personal shot, I have thick skin and it absolutely doesn't affect me.  But don't be myopic.  You can't see this is the case?
I'm not taking a shot at you, simply stating that if the political section is too hostile for you, maybe just avoid it. 

Basically membership started to dwindle when Autotrader came aboard and there were WAAAAY less interaction of daily/weekly reviews.  Then once Covid hit, basically the political section made a lot of people leave the forum. 

I feel like those that are still around and posting daily are great people to talk car stuff with, and the mild off topic stuff, but the political section is what you would expect.  I have thick skin so I don't mind taking one on the nose for a view I have, but I also don't frequent that section because I really don't need to talk about that stuff much.  I much prefer auto related, or positive threads. 

If you want to talk about auto stuff more, why not start some threads about stuff?  That's what I've been doing from time to time.

Offline Layne

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +4764/-4509
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2022, 10:43:58 am »
This Forum is DEAD.

Where is this coming from?  Just because people disagree with your views on the political threads?  This is a car forum, if you want to talk about world issues, I'm sure there are other places where you could fill that need.

I actually have but no replies.

I'll post a couple today and see what happens.

Cheers,

This is a car forum?

There used to be new threads daily on cars but the membership is gone.  If you can't see that and want to take a personal shot, I have thick skin and it absolutely doesn't affect me.  But don't be myopic.  You can't see this is the case?
I'm not taking a shot at you, simply stating that if the political section is too hostile for you, maybe just avoid it. 

Basically membership started to dwindle when Autotrader came aboard and there were WAAAAY less interaction of daily/weekly reviews.  Then once Covid hit, basically the political section made a lot of people leave the forum. 

I feel like those that are still around and posting daily are great people to talk car stuff with, and the mild off topic stuff, but the political section is what you would expect.  I have thick skin so I don't mind taking one on the nose for a view I have, but I also don't frequent that section because I really don't need to talk about that stuff much.  I much prefer auto related, or positive threads. 

If you want to talk about auto stuff more, why not start some threads about stuff?  That's what I've been doing from time to time.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2022, 11:07:02 am »
This Forum is DEAD.

This is a car forum?

I mean, the lack of new members is also related to the fact that Autos.ca is actually an abandoned domain. Since everything gravitated over to AutoTrader, they've largely forgotten about the forum. I've said for a couple years now that it's a matter of someone important remembering that they've forgotten to flip the switch, and everything's gone.

I even offered a closed Facebook group for discussion and topics that already exists, but no one really seemed to be interested.

I like the car threads, general banter, and most of the people here too. I'm around for the people, and I definitely steer clear of the politics threads. Some of my closest friends and I have vastly different political views (literally, Firm is like a brother to me and I see him every week, multiple times a week, and we never discuss politics), and it doesn't matter. Stay away from topics you know you disagree on and everything's fine. 
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2022, 11:27:41 am »
This Forum is DEAD.

This is a car forum?

I mean, the lack of new members is also related to the fact that Autos.ca is actually an abandoned domain. Since everything gravitated over to AutoTrader, they've largely forgotten about the forum. I've said for a couple years now that it's a matter of someone important remembering that they've forgotten to flip the switch, and everything's gone.

I even offered a closed Facebook group for discussion and topics that already exists, but no one really seemed to be interested.

I like the car threads, general banter, and most of the people here too. I'm around for the people, and I definitely steer clear of the politics threads. Some of my closest friends and I have vastly different political views (literally, Firm is like a brother to me and I see him every week, multiple times a week, and we never discuss politics), and it doesn't matter. Stay away from topics you know you disagree on and everything's fine.
I'd join a private Facebook group with members from the autos forum.  Just point me in the right direction and I'm there.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #185 on: July 26, 2022, 12:17:15 pm »
This Forum is DEAD.

This is a car forum?

Well said. Admittedly, most of the car threads in here bore me, but we've got an diverse group of people in here, form all over the country, so I find it interesting and insightful to hear the perspectives of the group on all sorts of topics....Cars, news stories, finances, politics, whatever. The issue is that people in general, some in this group included, have become less and less tolerant of others, and specifically of viewpoints that don't align with their own.
Just because you have a different political opinion than someone else, doesn't make them lesser of a person, or a bad person, or whatever. You can disagree on some things, and still respect and appreciate that person....I think if more people took that stance this place would be more active...and life in general would be more peaceful. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #186 on: July 26, 2022, 12:48:17 pm »
Good points both

Online valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #187 on: July 26, 2022, 01:14:52 pm »
This Forum is DEAD.

This is a car forum?

Well said. Admittedly, most of the car threads in here bore me, but we've got an diverse group of people in here, form all over the country, so I find it interesting and insightful to hear the perspectives of the group on all sorts of topics....Cars, news stories, finances, politics, whatever. The issue is that people in general, some in this group included, have become less and less tolerant of others, and specifically of viewpoints that don't align with their own.
Just because you have a different political opinion than someone else, doesn't make them lesser of a person, or a bad person, or whatever. You can disagree on some things, and still respect and appreciate that person....I think if more people took that stance this place would be more active...and life in general would be more peaceful.

Well said.

Honestly, from viewing a select few people's behaviour on this board...I sincerely hope they take a more tolerant and easygoing approach to their "real life" or else they are going to deal with stress/heart attack/ulcers and if nothing else must be pretty miserable to be around.

That being said, mostly everyone here is someone I wouldn't mind sharing a few beers with.  I know this because within my group of real life friends there exists a wide range of viewpoints on nearly everything, and yet we somehow coexist and don't hate each other  ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 26, 2022, 03:41:21 pm »
This Forum is DEAD.

This is a car forum?

I'd join a private Facebook group with members from the autos forum.  Just point me in the right direction and I'm there.

I just wish it was not Facebook. Although I get that its the easiest solution.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 26, 2022, 04:59:01 pm »
This Forum is DEAD.

This is a car forum?

I just wish it was not Facebook. Although I get that its the easiest solution.
I’d be open to any platform.  But yes the Facebook group is likely easiest.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #190 on: July 26, 2022, 09:06:49 pm »
This place is doomed. Just a matter of when.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2022, 11:43:11 pm »
Not with a bang but a whimper.  I intend to go down with the ship.   :drive2:

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #192 on: July 27, 2022, 06:07:17 am »
I would not join Facebook even if this forum moved there.   

As one of the older members ( in age)  I find that the forum is mostly interesting because of the people.   I don't mind or object to the politics although it is interesting to watch some of the interactions.
As for the cars...some are interesting and some are not.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-403
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '97 Integra Type R, '24 Santa Fe Calligraphy
« Reply #193 on: July 27, 2022, 04:14:13 pm »
This was the group we had made for our readers. It sorta died down but that's also because no one really posts anything. Feel free to join and we can start some discussion. Firm and I are mods on there along with a couple of the other DC guys. Good group of people...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/291856407664247

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #194 on: July 27, 2022, 04:40:33 pm »
Done

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #195 on: July 27, 2022, 04:48:12 pm »
This was the group we had made for our readers. It sorta died down but that's also because no one really posts anything. Feel free to join and we can start some discussion. Firm and I are mods on there along with a couple of the other DC guys. Good group of people...

Apparently I was already a part of that and the first thing that popped up when I went there with your link was the post of some chucklehead loading patio blocks into his Merc CUV that I commented on two years ago lol
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #196 on: July 27, 2022, 04:51:40 pm »
I miss Brig's "moderatrixing" of the forum but otherwise I think it's fine, if it wasn't for those new pesky bots. No interest in facebook either. Google finds it well based on my parts searches and I'm sure autotrader don't mind the additional ad revenue it brings, so hopefully we have many years to come  :)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 27, 2022, 04:52:08 pm »

Request sent.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #198 on: July 27, 2022, 04:55:34 pm »

Apparently I was already a part of that and the first thing that popped up when I went there with your link was the post of some chucklehead loading patio blocks into his Merc CUV that I commented on two years ago lol

1. Honda Ridgeline
2. Facebook

Troubling trend my friend :)
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #199 on: July 27, 2022, 04:59:19 pm »

1. Honda Ridgeline
2. Facebook

Troubling trend my friend :)

I still use it to keep in touch with family in Europe and military buddies....I don't mind it. Take my info Daddy Zuke!!!