Author Topic: 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid  (Read 14026 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2020, 11:30:14 pm »
Okay, so I should clarify, I proposed this deal and they accepted.  From what I take it they usually don't take any money off their Hybrids.  Plus we're avoiding all those nasty admin fees, window etching, etc.  We'll be trading in both our vehicles.  I have a realistic expectation on how much each is worth (or at least I think I do), and based on that we'll agree on the deal.

With how much we have saved for a down payment, and how much I expect our vehicles to be valued at, I expect we'll have it completely paid for and avoid the high interest rates that the Rav4 Hybrid typically has.

Good deal, about $1500 off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2020, 07:21:26 pm »
Put a deposit down on a Rav4 Hybrid XLE.  We were originally going to go with the LE trim but I think my wife will be happier long term with the extra features.

The plan is to drive it for 8 years and roughly 100,000kms.  We should average roughly half the fuel costs but I'm more interested in the extra power.

We won't be buying until July so hopefully it'll be built and delivered before then.  This Covid 19 might delay things.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2020, 07:21:57 pm »
Put a deposit down on a Rav4 Hybrid XLE.  We were originally going to go with the LE trim but I think my wife will be happier long term with the extra features.

The plan is to drive it for 8 years and roughly 100,000kms.  We should average roughly half the fuel costs but I'm more interested in the extra power.

We won't be buying until July so hopefully it'll be built and delivered before then.  This Covid 19 might delay things.

Did I miss your test drive review??
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2020, 07:35:33 pm »

Did I miss your test drive review??

Technically we didn't test drive the hybrid version as they are all sold before hitting the dealer lots.  I'll be honest and say I preferred the Honda CR-V to the Rav4 we drove.  It had a nicer interior, was quieter, and would be cheaper.  But my wife was more excited about the Rav4.  She much preferred the exterior styling.  So like the saying goes, happy wife happy life.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 07:48:16 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2020, 07:38:19 pm »
Can't go wrong with either of those choices, althoigh I'll say the RAV4 seems like a better proposition, especially in hybrid guise.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2020, 12:40:41 am »
I can see why the CR-V is more attractive chassis wise.  Certainly quieter.  But for longer term you got DI and a Turbo which aren't a great combo plus cvt.  Plus the engine is still suspect for the oil dilution thing in cold climates.

The gas RAV has dual injection and an 8speed auto.   Both AWD are similar until you get into the higher RAV trims.   

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2020, 07:06:39 am »
I can see why the CR-V is more attractive chassis wise.  Certainly quieter.  But for longer term you got DI and a Turbo which aren't a great combo plus cvt.  Plus the engine is still suspect for the oil dilution thing in cold climates.

The gas RAV has dual injection and an 8speed auto.   Both AWD are similar until you get into the higher RAV trims.
Rav4 Hybrid has a CVT transmission.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2020, 10:15:20 am »

A power split device, as Toyota calls it. It is very different and historically a lot more reliable than a CVT. Explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dHeRJdrnI8
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 10:19:07 am by EV Dan »
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2020, 10:22:42 am »

A power split device, as Toyota calls it. It is very different and historically a lot more reliable than a CVT. Explanation:
Good to know, thanks for the info.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2020, 10:32:54 am »

Toyota Hybrids use a planetary gearset...it's as reliable as an anvil...factor in the bulletproof Hybrid Synergy Drive system (as a whole), and it's a no brainer...it's not that the Honda system isn't good, it likely is...but the Toyota system is tried, tested and true...it sucks you have to wait, but there's a reason Honda has hybrids on the lots and you need to wait a few months for a Toyota.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2020, 11:32:42 am »

Toyota Hybrids use a planetary gearset...it's as reliable as an anvil...factor in the bulletproof Hybrid Synergy Drive system (as a whole), and it's a no brainer...it's not that the Honda system isn't good, it likely is...but the Toyota system is tried, tested and true...it sucks you have to wait, but there's a reason Honda has hybrids on the lots and you need to wait a few months for a Toyota.
All good points.  This will be our first Japanese vehicle and I'm hoping it lives up to all the reliability hype.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2020, 11:48:28 am »
All good points.  This will be our first Japanese vehicle and I'm hoping it lives up to all the reliability hype.
Toyotas are generally top notch to begin with...they may not be as fancy as some of the others out there, but the money is in the bones, not the pretty bits and fancy features (although most models are available with many features nowadays)...as well, the Hybrid Synergy Drive has been around for 20 years...it's also heavily used in the Taxi industry where they rack up hundreds of thousands of miles without issue...it's that good...as i've said before, i don't even know why Toyota even bothers with non-hybrids RAV4s...the hybrid is that good.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2020, 12:01:18 pm »
We test drove both the CRV and the Rav.

The CRV has a bigger cargo area than the Rav, but the touchscreen infotainment system is a bit of a pain. The hybrid system adds a punch to acceleration, but the CRV is not bad

Otherwise they seemed pretty similar, on test drive anyway. The potential for engine issues on the CRV was the main thing that put us off it, that and my wife hated the touchscreen

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2020, 12:13:35 pm »

My shopping/test driving of 15 year old Corollas and Matrices with 200 000+ kms on them, and them driving like still new cars, tells me that Toyota reliability and build quality isn't hype, it's quite real.

Heck, other than the wheel bearings and the banging coming from the lower control arm bushing, my 318 000km Civic still drives like a new car.  Had the previous owners taken care of the body, it would look like one, too.

Japanese cars are for real. 

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2020, 12:44:19 pm »

If you put 100K on it after 8 years.. i will but it from you....little one will get a license around that time... :-)

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2020, 05:40:43 pm »

Obviously I was just referring to the non Hybrids.  You've already been corrected but the Toyota Hybrids "CVT" which aren't snowmobile transmissions.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2020, 09:27:57 am »
So, potential problem with the Rav4 Hybrids:

My co-worker who bought a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid a few months ago came to my office this morning, and told me that after 5 days of sitting, her vehicle didn't start.  Now, 5 days isn't exactly a long period of time.  My truck has been sitting for 14 days, and when I put my Noco Genius on there this weekend, it told me the battery was still 100% charged.  It's not an unrealistic expectation to park a vehicle for at least a few weeks and expect it to start when you come back to it - what happens if you go away on vacation and leave your vehicle in long term parking for 2-3 weeks...most people expect their cars to start back up again. 

Anyway, they called Toyota Roadside Assistance and had it towed from their house to the dealership.  Then she went on the Rav4 forums, and discovered that she's not alone in this, that it seems to be a widespread problem.  So, I have no idea what the issue is, or how Toyota's gonna fix it, but they'd better do something, because my co-worker isn't happy about it.  Her vehicle is still at the dealership, and who knows how long it will remain there.

ltruong

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2020, 09:47:52 am »
So, potential problem with the Rav4 Hybrids:

My co-worker who bought a 2020 Rav4 Hybrid a few months ago came to my office this morning, and told me that after 5 days of sitting, her vehicle didn't start.  Now, 5 days isn't exactly a long period of time.  My truck has been sitting for 14 days, and when I put my Noco Genius on there this weekend, it told me the battery was still 100% charged.  It's not an unrealistic expectation to park a vehicle for at least a few weeks and expect it to start when you come back to it - what happens if you go away on vacation and leave your vehicle in long term parking for 2-3 weeks...most people expect their cars to start back up again. 

Anyway, they called Toyota Roadside Assistance and had it towed from their house to the dealership.  Then she went on the Rav4 forums, and discovered that she's not alone in this, that it seems to be a widespread problem.  So, I have no idea what the issue is, or how Toyota's gonna fix it, but they'd better do something, because my co-worker isn't happy about it.  Her vehicle is still at the dealership, and who knows how long it will remain there.

That's no good. Maybe the proximity key like some one mentioned before with their MDX i believe.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2020, 10:39:06 am »
It happened to me once with Volt #1 (2012), I called onstar and they sent a towing with a portable boost start pack and done, no towing required. Never figured why.

IIRC after 3 days resting unplugged (yeah I know, Rav4 Hybrid* mentioned above is not the plug-in Prime), the Volt turn into low consumption mode: much less cellular communication to reduce energy draw from the 12V battery and some other energy conservation measures because since the HV battery contactor (disconnect) is open and car is turn off, the DC/DC converter doesn't feed any energy from 360Vdc battery to the 12Vdc battery.

Just curious: *Does Rav4 Hybrid use a traditional alternator or DC/DC converter (power by the hybrid battery, itself recharge using powertrain electric motor while on deceleration) to maintain state of charge of the 12V battery?

Talk to my mother this week-end, her Versa battery was dead after 2 weeks without moving so she plug the maintenance battery charger. The 12V battery has been replaced a year or two ago but still slowly leak to death when unused... 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:31:55 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2020, 11:18:11 am »
A dome or trunk light or something like that. I'd imagine more than one person would experience this, especially when cars sit around for days without driving. Finally, could be the battery itself, who knows where Toyota Canada have sourced it?