Author Topic: 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid  (Read 13987 times)

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2020, 10:16:28 pm »
It's the comprehensive warranty that is the big draw.  Not worried about the powertrain or the hybrid components, just all the electronics.

What are people's thoughts on the rust warranty?
In terms of KMs (not sure how much per year you drive) the extra warranty would only cover an additional 60k km.

Not sure if there's value in that for you
We wouldn't drive 120,000 kms in 7 years, but for a lot of these things it's not the kms it's the time.  It might only be 60k kms but it's the extra 4 years that is the draw.  Do any of us really know the reliability of these new electronics.
Truth is no one knows...while I have confidence in the Toyota’s hybrid system, the rest of their electronics have been less than stellar in the past 2y or so...

Watch out for your hybrid as well, there seems to have some sort of issues with the 12V battery draining after a few days of no driving and in some other conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2020, 11:58:29 pm »
i might as well chime in here, since i usually buy extended warranties.

for starters, i'll assume the Toyota dealer handles things ideally and without hassle.

from what i've found, 8 years is the point where things start to go wrong...so, if they had a 10 year warranty for $3500, i'd be tempted...but 7 years, i wouldn't bother...my back up camera went at around year 6, but that was about $500, so i'm sure you could either just pay for minor stuff or perhaps get an indie to do it cheaper (or do it yourself if you're handy)...the big stuff is the part to worry about, but as rrocket said, the hybrid system and powertrain already have a pretty robust warranty, so you aren't getting that much extra for the money there.

regarding the rust stuff, usually something like Krown is your best option, but it depends on what they apply...sometimes the stuff they put on is pretty decent and then you don't need the hassle of annual sprays, touch ups, inspections, etc...you'd have to go through their "package" to see what it covers, etc...if it's the "Electronic" thing, don't bother as they do nothing.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Essdez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda 3 GS (Black)
« Reply #122 on: August 09, 2020, 10:08:58 pm »
So this past weekend we looked at a few CUV's to replace my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe.  She seems to be fixated on the Rav4 Hybrid, even though technically we didn't get a chance to drive it (as all Rav4 hybrids are ordered in and sold prior to arriving).

I've been reading a lot about these vehicles and from what forum members have stated.  It sounds like there is very little in deals on these vehicles.

So my question to you the people is what do you think of this deal?  Rav4 Hybrid LE (base model), we pay full MSRP, all levies and taxes, don't pay for any of the admin fee's, no etching fee, not paying for the hood deflector (which they put on literally all their new vehicles), and we get them to throw a set of decent winter tires and rims for free.  I tend to think that's about as good as we can expect.

I'm going to take a look at the Rav4 tomorrow. There's a lot written on this thread so my apologies if I missed the eventual outcome but... I had no idea about the hood deflector thing, I'm also not sure what an etching fee is.

I also think the Hybrid is a bit out of my budget so I was probably looking at the XLE - was that a consideration at all for you?