Author Topic: New truck for KD  (Read 8238 times)

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
Re: New truck for KD
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 10:12:17 am »
Noisy cab just means your radio is not loud enough  ;D

Yup, that's my fix for that.  ;D  Luckily it has a pretty good sound system.

Offline Shorlaw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-85
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Corvette GS, 2013XKR, 2018 Macan S
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 10:44:51 am »
Very nice, congrats!  love the look of these trucks

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2020, 11:00:59 am »
I noticed rock spray damage on the fender flares on every used unit i looked at.  Wasn't too bad on this one though but still noticeable.  What do you plan on doing to fix this? 

I found some white rocker guard, I think I'll try that and maybe some 3m tape on top.

I wonder if any 911 stoneguards would fit?  I have a couple I haven't put on yet, might have a look
Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 11:06:30 am »

You don't want a boat you can tow with a Frontier.  ;D
Depends!

I'd love a Zodiac Pro 5.5 for bombing on the rough lake here! :)

Nice truck! Good color....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 11:26:58 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 12:24:02 pm »
Righteous!   :D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 09:10:45 pm »
Nice! I've always though these looked great.

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 09:19:32 pm »
Question

Why do I hear the same thing about Taco's over and over again, especially the poor seats/sitting position, yet they sell well and really hold their value?

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 09:28:06 pm »
Question

Why do I hear the same thing about Taco's over and over again, especially the poor seats/sitting position, yet they sell well and really hold their value?
All I can say
https://youtu.be/tldGgGFe194

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 09:38:30 pm »
Question

Well, you only hear that from people who don't fit in the cab.  I don't think the Taco is a tall person's truck, but short people otherwise do just fine.

Otherwise, Toyota does a great job of equipping the Tacoma, and putting in features that people want. 

The current engine/transmission is tuned more for fuel economy than responsiveness, Power can be had out of it, but the engine needs to be wound up.  I agree, it's not a right fit for a truck.  The old 4 Liter was a much more tricky engine, but was a gas guzzler.  Similar to the 4.0 in the Frontier.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 07:40:09 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 07:17:57 am »
Question

I'm 6' 2" with a 34" inseam and I just couldn't get comfortable in the Taco as my legs were sprawled all over the place.  The seat sits low and has absolutely no thigh support to compensate.  That was my main issue.  I think maybe people 5' 10" and below would find the seats and driving position more acceptable.  Having said that I have one good friend who is ~ 5' 9" and he says he his lower back starts giving him trouble within half an hour of steady driving.  His is the last gen, 2012 I believe.  He actually rents a truck when he needs one for longer distances.  Oth, another friend of mine is 6' 3" and says he has no trouble getting comfortable in the Taco he's owned for over 20 years.  Though it's his second vehicle that he uses mostly for beating around locally and rarely uses it for longer road trips.   

I guess everyone has a different body shape and if it fits you the Taco would be a great truck to own.  Obviously many people seem to find the Taco comfortable seeing that there are so many around.  Getting one with power seats might make a big difference in comfort as well.  The gun slot visibility and the sluggishness are minor gripes that I could live with.  I think the transmission needs better mapping though because the 3.5L V6 is not that sluggish in other products i've tried, and own.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 07:53:04 am »
Question

I'm 6' 2" with a 34" inseam and I just couldn't get comfortable in the Taco as my legs were sprawled all over the place.  The seat sits low and has absolutely no thigh support to compensate.  That was my main issue.  I think maybe people 5' 10" and below would find the seats and driving position more acceptable.  Having said that I have one good friend who is ~ 5' 9" and he says he his lower back starts giving him trouble within half an hour of steady driving.  His is the last gen, 2012 I believe.  He actually rents a truck when he needs one for longer distances.  Oth, another friend of mine is 6' 3" and says he has no trouble getting comfortable in the Taco he's owned for over 20 years.  Though it's his second vehicle that he uses mostly for beating around locally and rarely uses it for longer road trips.   

I guess everyone has a different body shape and if it fits you the Taco would be a great truck to own.  Obviously many people seem to find the Taco comfortable seeing that there are so many around.  Getting one with power seats might make a big difference in comfort as well.  The gun slot visibility and the sluggishness are minor gripes that I could live with.  I think the transmission needs better mapping though because the 3.5L V6 is not that sluggish in other products i've tried, and own.

Interesting comments about the Toyota seats. I remember looking at a 4Runner years ago where in spite of the vehicle itself being high I felt like the seats were practically on the floor. I also find some Toyota seat bases a bit short with limited thigh support.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 09:02:05 am »
Question

Interesting comments about the Toyota seats. I remember looking at a 4Runner years ago where in spite of the vehicle itself being high I felt like the seats were practically on the floor. I also find some Toyota seat bases a bit short with limited thigh support.

Yeah, the seat cushion seems very short and then it sort of rounds off downward toward the end to make matters worse.  I found this to be the case with other Toyota products but the high floor of the Taco and 4-Runner makes it worse.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 10:31:42 am »
^^^That's a big reason I went for the Tundra rather than the Tacoma.  A Tacoma has been on my dream list for a very long time, but a big guy like me just fits so much better in the Tundra. 

V8 was a huge factor, too.   :skid:

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 10:44:10 am »
^^^That's a big reason I went for the Tundra rather than the Tacoma.  A Tacoma has been on my dream list for a very long time, but a big guy like me just fits so much better in the Tundra. 

The Tundra is a much better buy than the Taco when factoring in the current incentives.  I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new Tundra.  Still more $$ than i wanted to spend but the gas mileage is probably not a whole lot worse than the Frontier..lol. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 11:02:14 am »

The Tundra is a much better buy than the Taco when factoring in the current incentives.  I came pretty close to pulling the trigger on a new Tundra.  Still more $$ than i wanted to spend but the gas mileage is probably not a whole lot worse than the Frontier..lol.

I think the Frontier makes for a compelling used buy.  Being a midsize truck, the Frontier was already cheaper than a tundra when new, and they don't hold their value quite as well as either Tundra or Tacoma.  I would argue the Frontier is as reliable as a Tacoma would be. 

Buying a Frontier is kinda like buying a Tundra.  They're great trucks as long as you can live with the fact that they are older platforms that are going to guzzle a little more gas than their contemporaries, and you're not going to have as many electronic baubles or as nice of an interior as on other, more current trucks. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2020, 02:18:12 pm »
Congrats on the new ride!! This to me is THE mid size truck to buy as all the other ones pricing are feckin ridiculous. Reliability is good, I like its broad shouldered look and its actually comfortable, great buy.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 04:21:29 pm »
Congrats on the new ride!! This to me is THE mid size truck to buy as all the other ones pricing are feckin ridiculous. Reliability is good, I like its broad shouldered look and its actually comfortable, great buy.
agreed...if i were buying one personally, i'd get one of these too...i'd likely get the quad cab instead of the crew cab, but only because i don't really need the extra room and i like the looks of the smaller cab one.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2020, 06:11:33 pm »
agreed...if i were buying one personally, i'd get one of these too...i'd likely get the quad cab instead of the crew cab, but only because i don't really need the extra room and i like the looks of the smaller cab one.

I think you mean King Cab, or the one with the miserable suicide rear doors.  :P  I have them on the F-150 and I hate them.  The king cabs  do look good though but are harder to find.

I forgot to mention one thing in my favour price wise with this purchase is that there has been a flood of 2019 rental returns on the market the last few months and seems just about every dealer around here has a loaded Pro-4X on the lot.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 06:38:19 pm by KD »

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2020, 07:42:49 pm »
Looks great! The Frontier aged very very well for something from 2005.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2020, 08:38:27 pm »

I think you mean King Cab, or the one with the miserable suicide rear doors.  :P  I have them on the F-150 and I hate them.  The king cabs  do look good though but are harder to find.
yea, King Cab...that's it...the smaller one...i know the rear is useless, i just like the looks of it.  ;D

as you said though, they're not as common as the quad cab models, since most people want a functional rear seating area.